Safe to buy a used jointer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to buy a used jointer?

As I look to outfit my shop, one tool on my list that would come in handy on some upcoming projects is a jointer.

Should I be looking for a new unit or can I turn to Kijiji and try and pick up one there on the cheap? For instance:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/ba...der/1260922239

This one looks a bit older and not sure $425 is what I'd offer, but would something like that be reasonable for a novice wood working to start with?

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1117166
    Last edited by John Bartley; 05-05-2017, 02:14 PM. Reason: Added photo
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Safe to buy a used jointer?

Used equipment is fine, most of my shop is made up as used. Make sure you can try it out first. I find those prices on the high side, but I am a bottom feeder.
    gojaysgo2013 likes this.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love. For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite,” Nelson Mandela

Comment

all of my machinery is used, most of well used and older than most(if not all) of us

some used machines are better bets than others, mechanically simple stuff like a cast iron jointer is a good bet, a heavily used lunchbox planer is not
      my shop is a beaver lodge
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Of coarse it's safe,just be a informed buyer. Most jointers are built to last many decades,and are easily refurbished . If it wasn't for used,I really would not have much in my shop

Comment

That Craftex is generally the same as some of the Delta's, King, and Ridgid models. Good starter jointer, I have the comparable Delta model. As long as built correctly and well maintained is perfectly fine to use. Have them turn it on and run some wood through. should run fairly quiet with out and rubbing or metal hitting sounds. I'd say a fait price would be more along the lines of $3-350.

Comment

Originally posted by EMSbyDay View Post
            That Craftex is generally the same as some of the Delta's, King, and Ridgid models. Good starter jointer, I have the comparable Delta model. As long as built correctly and well maintained is perfectly fine to use. Have them turn it on and run some wood through. should run fairly quiet with out and rubbing or metal hitting sounds. I'd say a fait price would be more along the lines of $3-350.

I agree. I have the Ridgid version. It works fine.

Comment

Mike,
              I agree with the previous posts about buying used. It is a great way to save money and there is not much that can go wrong with a jointer if it has not been abused. The jointer you show is a 6" model which is fine, but if you are willing to spend a bit more, I would recommend looking for an 8" unit. I'm a fan of the parallelogram design such as the Delta DJ-20 because of the ease of alignment of the tables.

Good luck with your search.

David

you should be able to find an 8" jointer

Comment

I used to have that exact same model when I lived in Ottawa. It worked just fine - easy to adjust, not too noisy, and powerful enough to do every job I needed it to. I must have run thousands of board feet of various hardwoods over that thing without any trouble at all.

That price seems a little... optimistic? For the seller, I mean. That's almost what I paid for mine when I bought it new. Prices change in 10 years of course, but I'd have thought 300 would have been a fairer price.

dkaardal

Comment

How does a 6" Delta X5 series jointer for around $400 sound? Steer clear? Price OK?

Comment

Depends on whether you are buying or selling.
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                      Depends on whether you are buying or selling.
                      Rob
                      Haha, I'm looking to buy my first jointer for a small garage shop.

Comment

There is also a 6" Chui Ting (never heard of this brand?) locally for about $150-200 that looks like its been well taken care of.

Comment

never heard of it either

if i needed a jointer id be looking older northamerican machines. rockwell, beaver, general, poitras, delta just to name a few

plenty of them around and better made

parts? you may ask. my 1940's beaver hasnt needed any and chances are it never will
                          Last edited by stevem; 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM.
                          my shop is a beaver lodge
                          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by mwarning View Post
                            There is also a 6" Chui Ting (never heard of this brand?) locally for about $150-200 that looks like its been well taken care of.
                            The Chiu Ting Company manufactures for many of the better known wood working equipment sellers according to this article :

http://www.portercable.com/uploads/P..._article16.pdf

It might be worth a read ....

Comment

Working...
                            X