Upgrade Tablesaw or save for Bandsaw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Tablesaw or save for Bandsaw?

Greeting folks, plz keep in mind my budget for this hobby is modest at best. Currently most/all of my woodworking budget is eaten up by the cost of wood.

Trying to decide on a new purchase. Ive wanted a Band saw for quite some time and was looking at lagunas 14/12. Im not in a position to purchase this ATM so if i decide on band saw then ill have to wait it out some time longer while my hobbie funds catch up to the asking price (will take a while) i also check kijiji very regularly for any deals with no luck, Or....

I currently have a ridgid contractors portable table saw that has done everything ive needed it to more or less. Its not great and needs adjusting often but it does the job. I do Hate how Loud it is. I was looking at ridgids stationary tablesaw which gets quite good reviews for its price. Im hoping to get this at 599$cdn minus 200$ in gift cards ive recently recieved so i could upgrade my most important tool for pretty cheap. Another table saw i was looking at on Amazon is Shop fox w1837, this is 1100$ though but its suposed to be a step above the ridgid, however at this price it would mean the band saw would be put on hold near indefinitely. (Or at the very least a long time lol)

Keep in mind the tablesaw i already have, though kinda budged and not 100% accurate (And loud lol), can do the job. I could improve this saw for sure with a better fence and its own proper station. But man 399$ out of pocket for new saw sure sounds good lol. But i dont have a Bandsaw yet and have a few projects in mind where it would certainly be useful.

Opinions? Modest tablesaw Upgrade now and wait a little longer for bandsaw or put all that money towards a better table saw and forgo the band saw? Or do nothing and keep saving for that band saw?

Last edited by dwight80; 09-13-2017, 09:12 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Upgrade Tablesaw or save for Bandsaw?

If you have a modest budget don't even consider buying new. The market is swamped with used machines.
    Rob
    smallerstick likes this.

Comment

I agree with iamtooler.
      I bought a used bandsaw 5 or 6 years ago and it does all I need. Sneak upon kijiji on a regular basis and eventually you'll find a good machine - older General, King, Grizzly, Delta etc are pretty much the same and a lot of parts are interchangeable. It's good to have a consideration for a riser block as a feature, or a possible option in the future.

I also have the contractor TS3650. It's one of the best in its class and has served me well. I bought it new with significant savings (end of line) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those offered on kijiji, usually for around $300.

Comment

x2 what Rob said

there are some tools worth buying new, but I don't feel a table saw is one of them.
        heck there is a Wadkin PK for $700 in QC, so I have to imagine other deals available on kijiji in your area.

also, what do you ppan to do with a bandsaw that is different than what you do now?
        I do not have a bandsaw, and can only think of a handful of times I've needed one. Granted I'm always on the lookout for a deal on one, I also doubt I'll be buying new for that machine either.
        [insert something witty here]

Comment

I have two delta's a '44 and a '52 and couldnt be happier with them. Very upgradable, 1.5hp baldor motor, riser block, poly tires, kreg fence, etc etc. you can really pimp them out, parts are easy to get. I paid $325 for one and traded for the other.

I definitely use the bandsaw way more than I thought I would, for example I find it the best way of cutting tenons. Much safer for ripping/crosscutting small pieces, cutting circles, etc. I also use it to cut templates for my router table, e.g. Adirondack chairs.

Forget who said this originally but I agree with it... if you could go back to lets say the 1500s and offer a woodworker of that time only one power tool of modern era, they'd most likely choose a bandsaw for its sheer versatility.

Also before buying make sure to read the Iturra designs catalog. Theres a link somewhere.

Comment

IMO buy used. I am in the same position as you; limited budget. After moving 3 years ago, I basically started from scratch to build up a shop tool collection. Over that period I have acquired a 70's Unisaw, Unifence, Delta 6" jointer, Rockwell 2 HP planer, 14" bandsaw and a Delta 16" drill press. The Unisaw and fence were $350 together and the rest were all less that $200 each.
            Patience and don't lose hope. Kijiji is your friend
            The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Steve Schor has a neat little video comparing a vintage drill press vs a new dp. Not saying it's the same with a ts or a bandsaw, other members are much more qualified to talk about that, but check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_aotdl-8MwQ
              maytagman and smallerstick like this.

Comment

Originally posted by sophien View Post
                Steve Schor has a neat little video comparing a vintage drill press vs a new dp. Not saying it's the same with a ts or a bandsaw, other members are much more qualified to talk about that, but check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_aotdl-8MwQ
                That kind of says it all!
                The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

The tool that gets the least amount of use in my shop along with the lathe is by far my 18" band saw. I use it occasionally to resaw lumber. It is indispensable to cut curves on thick lumber to make squat furniture feet for example. It saves me time of course to cut curves in material. But most of these curves on thin stock (less than 1") could be cut with a jigsaw and finished with a oscillating spindle sander on inside curve or a bench sander for outside cuts. Way cheaper than buying a bandsaw. The tablesaw is the workhorse of the woodworking shop. As mentioned by others, I think you would be way better to upgrade to a descent quiet second hand cabinet saw, 2 or 3HP with an accurate, easy to setup fence. lots of unisaws out there for a good price. Once you try it, you will not believe the difference. My 2 cents.
                  Chris
                  I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Wow thank you all for your speedy replies and opinions. As many of you have said, i do check kijiji often Maybe 1-2 times a week. Perhaps ill start checking daily. Problem with kijiji has been that either i dont find what i like, it was sold yesterday, or its an 8 hour round trip to go pick it up which is a drag as i have a young familly and rarely have8 hours open to me lol. I also do shift work (2weeks days, then 2 weeks nights) which does not help. And which is why my current table saw is sort of a downer as it sometimes wakes up the wife when im using it at all hours.

i like the DP video also. And i agree to a degree, thoough i would not discount all new power tools based solely on that video. Jobmate is not the creme de la creme of new tools. Maybe ive just had good luck with my cheapo tools though. And then some not so great luck either some other Cheapo tools lol. (Looking at you craftex) When buying used what would you consider is a cut off date? Pre 1990? Im assuming mid 90's is when china made stuff started getting popular or is it before this? Keep in mind im not mechanically savvy but im a quick enough learner.

Why do i think i need a Band saw? Its been on my mind for a couple years now. On almost every project their is a point where i say to myself "a band saw could have done this easier/faster" Tenons for sure, its my primary joint atm. Ive sometimes not used curves in my work because a jigsaw was inadequate for the task. Not to say i dont find alternative ways to do the same task that "i think a band saw would be The goto tool for" so its not 100% necessary.

Edit: i should mention my shop is a room in my basement with no garage door. I do have an exterior side door but the room is 4 feet below street lvl and the stairs leading up on the outside are at a 90degree from the room. So when you open this door, their is maybe 3 1/2 feet and a wall. The stairs are on the left making exit/entry difficult with large heavy 3hp cabinet saws :( Front door is the only option. Its do-able but i cant imagin trying to get a 3-400 all cast iron table saw down their lol.
                    Last edited by dwight80; 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eilliac View Post
                      The tool that gets the least amount of use in my shop along with the lathe is by far my 18" band saw. I use it occasionally to resaw lumber. It is indispensable to cut curves on thick lumber to make squat furniture feet for example. It saves me time of course to cut curves in material. But most of these curves on thin stock (less than 1") could be cut with a jigsaw and finished with a oscillating spindle sander on inside curve or a bench sander for outside cuts. Way cheaper than buying a bandsaw. The tablesaw is the workhorse of the woodworking shop. As mentioned by others, I think you would be way better to upgrade to a descent quiet second hand cabinet saw, 2 or 3HP with an accurate, easy to setup fence. lots of unisaws out there for a good price. Once you try it, you will not believe the difference. My 2 cents.
                      Thank you for sharing your personnal experience with both tools. As i said i make due without one, and a better table saw makes a whole lot of sense. Gonna keep checking used for a while and not rush into things

Comment

The Laguna is a far superior machine ,and a joy to use,but if budget does not permit,a well tuned vintage bandsaw will do the job,and when the time comes to step into your first choice,chances are you will recoup all or more of the money you spent on the used machine. That will never happen when you buy new

Comment

Originally posted by dwight80 View Post
                          Wow thank you all for your speedy replies and opinions. As many of you have said, i do check kijiji often Maybe 1-2 times a week. Perhaps ill start checking daily. Problem with kijiji has been that either i dont find what i like, it was sold yesterday, or its an 8 hour round trip to go pick it up which is a drag
                          You clearly do not understand kijiji. You need to be checking multiple times per day and when you see something you want and the price is great you must be prepared to act in a hurry, email transfers work great. There is a system in place whereby you post a request on this forum to have somebody near the machine to Potter it for you. (pick up and hold it till further arrangements can be made) You also request a Rucker to see who travels between where the machine is and where you are and might be pleased to help move the machine at least closer to your location.
                          Rob

Look up Rucker and Potter on OWWM wiki

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

You clearly do not understand kijiji. You need to be checking multiple times per day and when you see something you want and the price is great you must be prepared to act in a hurry, email transfers work great. There is a system in place whereby you post a request on this forum to have somebody near the machine to Potter it for you. (pick up and hold it till further arrangements can be made) You also request a Rucker to see who travels between where the machine is and where you are and might be pleased to help move the machine at least closer to your location.
                            Rob

Look up Rucker and Potter on OWWM wiki
                            Oh wow, all of that is News to me lol. That sounds like it might be fantastic help though i would have to get lucky i would think. i'll definitely be looking this up, and checking kijiji more religiously now LOL. Thank you

Comment

set up "alerts" for unisaw, cabinet saw, delta, rockwell, etc and it should tell you when one is posted.

as Rob said, between potters & ruckers, most anything can be picked up, stored and/or transported over very long distances.
                              [insert something witty here]

Comment

Working...
                              X