Magnetic Starter Wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Starter Wiring

I am installing a new Danfoss Magnetic Starter on my Bandsaw. Single Phase, 1HP, 110 V. I've attached a copy of the Wiring diagram that came with it. The diagram doesn't indicate, at least clear enough for me which of the Hot and Neutral wires go to each terminal. In the diagram, I've marked 'Hot' and 'Neutral' wires, and just ask if someone can confirm I am on the right track with wiring it this way.

I've also attached a PDF of the full page of wiring diagrams. Have a look and let me know if I'm missing something, but I think the other diagrams are all 3 phase.
    Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 phase diagram A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1141729

[ATTACH]n1141730[/ATTACH]
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Magnetic Starter Wiring

The wiring diagram that you have it set up for 240 V. I personally donít like how youíre switching the neutral. The coil voltage is 110Ė120 V correct?

The hot should jump through all three contacts and the neutral should go to the motor directly and to one side of the coil directly.

from your drawing are you doing three wire control or two wire control? Looks like youíre doing a three wire control with the fourth contact.

do you have a dedicated start button and a dedicated stop button?
    Last edited by Matt Matt; 10-07-2017, 01:01 AM.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

The coil voltage is definitely 120v and yes the start/stop buttons are part of the unit (#s 3/4 and 95/96 from the diagram)
      I know thereís more than one way to wire starters (breaking the neutral through the starter or running it direct) but Iíd like to follow the mfgís instructions which looks like the neutral goes through the starter.
      And to your question Iím doing two wire (hot and neutral) control.
      I know a mag starter in this situation is probably overkill but itís what Iím working with.
      thanks for your response Matt.

Comment

you got it wired good. you will need to run the neutral through so that overload protection is enabled . Should not matter which terminal hot and neutral are on . Itís a three phase starter wired for single
        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
        English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Thanks Jack, much appreciated

Comment

Mag starter wiring diagram from Grizzly if it helps? http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g8291_m.pdf

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks Yeti, I did find that diagram when I was looking for info but it didnít seem to match close to the diagram I showed above from Danfoss where it shows a jumper on the load side between 2 and 4.

Thanks to to all for your great input, I was able to get it wired this afternoon and works great.

Comment

I have a related question (different motor, different starter) that I'm looking for some help to answer.

I have a table saw that has a 230V 2HP motor and the FLA is 11.

Danfoss has a starter that has the following rating 230V coil, 2HP and Amps are 12 so I'd think this would be the right one to use. Similar to my post last week, it's a 3 phase starter but I'm using Single Phase.

My question is, would it be a bad idea if I were to use a starter with ratings 230V 3HP 16amps. on a motor rated for 2HP 11 Amps?

My thought is if I ever wanted to use this starter on a larger motor or another machine, then I can do that. I suspect the answer would be that the 16amp rating on the starter is too high for the motor but thought I'd ask anyways.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
                Rob
                Last edited by Rob in Oak Ridges; 10-12-2017, 11:46 AM. Reason: Originally my queestion asked if I could use a 3HP 25amp starter to run a 2HP motor, but I found that Danfoss has a 3HP 16amp starter.

Comment

No problem, the bigger the better for the contactor part. The overload portion should be within the range of the motor amps if you really need the overload protection.
                  Rob

Comment

What Rob said . The motor controls which switch the high-voltage power to engage the motor are well within your size and bigger is better in that case what you are discussing is overload protection of these are usually separate blocks and have nothing to do with the size of the starter. Over load protection should be viewed as control circuitry to which is wired in parallel to the stop switch. If you view the overload protection of the starter as a stop switch it is controlled by the full load amp rating and is engaged when it reaches it by amp sensing sensors known as heaters . It literally is wired in series with the stop switch controls
                    Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 10-12-2017, 08:44 PM.
                    everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                    English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Working...
                    X