X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kobalt 7.14" 9amp sliding compound mitre saw @Lowes for $120

317 reviews 4.3 out of 5 stars
    Is this a good tool for a hobbyist?
    I am not seeing myself cutting large boards and posts ...for a couple of deeper cuts I guess I could use the table saw
    I am going to build a fence soon and I was thinking about using this one to cut 1x6x10' boards to 8'+something length that I actually need
    I am not seeing myself doing cross cuts for very wide or thin pieces of lumber ...for my project (the fence) this will be just a convenience (I need to cut like 150 boards like this + some 2x4s)
    It will be also be a nice addition to my "shop" since I don't have much room to have a large one.

https://www.lowes.ca/mitre-saws/koba..._g1343355.html
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Kobalt 7.14" 9amp sliding compound mitre saw @Lowes for $120

I have looked at this very saw myself with the main attraction being that is light in weight and I get tired of dragging out a heavy slider from my trailer just for a few simple cuts. For a hobbyist I would not hesitate.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I would not pay 120 for it.
      Ive got a 7 1/4 mastercraft- I paid $15.
      I wouldn't pay for than $50 for the kobalt.

Check kijiji/craigslist for a used 10" saw.

It will cut fence boards and thicker stuff too.
      Stick to Makita, dewalt, rigid.

Nathan

Comment

When you buy anything ... you always compromise. When you pay more you get more. When you pay less you get less. The trick is to set a goal for yourself only and that goal is rarely shared by others, so only you can decide. If your goal is to reduce your purchase price while buying a mitre saw that will last long enough to build your fence and then do "adequate" light duty board shortening in a small size shop, then go for it.

What you are admitting up front when you buy something like this is that you know it will never be cost effective to repair if it should break. You will likely never be able to find repair parts, should you ever need them. It will never have the quality of construction, rigidity, accuracy etc, that more expensive units have.

If it fits your needs and you're ok with all the above, ..... go for it.

EDIT : I have bought "cheap" stuff lots of times, and I always understand that if it survives the warranty period and does the job I bought it for .... it's paid for itself and anything else is a bonus.

cheers

Comment

I read the negative reviews only on the site
          It seems that it is not very accurate and yes repairing or tuning up the saw is a problem

The part I can't decide on is how much do I need one for future uses as a hobbyist.
          This fence is an unexpected project, the winds we had here in Toronto forced me to look at this
          On the woodworking line of work I was going to fix/redo my crosscut sled and then go ahead with building things like outdoor furniture, custom shelves, maybe an island when I decide to renovate the kitchen and other small items....not sure how much I will need this and in what situations I will need a crosscut sled

I already have a DeWalt sitting around, I am not selling that one since I will have some flooring to do and I can't just keep going back and forth between my Rigid T3650 and the rooms where I install the flooring (if I decide to do it myself) . I could probably use it for this fence project to cut the 10' to 8' 3 1/2" by building some rough crosscut sled....

Money is not an issue, it is just that I don't want to buy something that I won't need or use much and end up putting it on Kijiji.
          As far as the Kijiji adds go I am seeing mostly big size sliding miter saws
          Last edited by PF4Wood; 05-16-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PF4Wood View Post
            I already have a DeWalt sitting around,
            You have a DeWalt? .... mitre saw? .... sitting around?

Leave the Kobalt where it is and use the DeWalt.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

You have a DeWalt? .... mitre saw? .... sitting around?

Leave the Kobalt where it is and use the DeWalt.
              Sorry I looked up the model but forgot to put here the number ..it is a table saw DeWalt 745 :-) Sorry if caused you palpitations with my stupidity :-)))

Comment

Originally posted by PF4Wood View Post

Sorry I looked up the model but forgot to put here the number ..it is a table saw DeWalt 745 :-) Sorry if caused you palpitations with my stupidity :-)))
                Ok, that's better. Leave the DeWalt where it is and we'll go back to regular programming.

Comment

you would be better off with a crosscut sled for the tablesaw, get a crosscut blade for it and forget the toy saw
                  my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I don't see myself moving 10' boards on a crosscut sled....

Comment

Don't cut too many all at once unless you're happy with you post positioning. If you can cut them all to the same length, a track saw would be good or just lay the boards side by side on a saw horse setup and clamp a straight edge to the boards at 8' 3" or whatever your dimension is and cut them off with a circular saw. Don't forget to offset the saw by the distance from blade to saw plate. You should be able to cut 16 boards all at once or 32 if you want to double up.
                      PF4Wood likes this.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                        Don't cut too many all at once unless you're happy with you post positioning. If you can cut them all to the same length, a track saw would be good or just lay the boards side by side on a saw horse setup and clamp a straight edge to the boards at 8' 3" or whatever your dimension is and cut them off with a circular saw. Don't forget to offset the saw by the distance from blade to saw plate. You should be able to cut 16 boards all at once or 32 if you want to double up.
                        I totally forgot about my circular saw!
                        I guess i could do that. You now know the design of my fence(horizontal fence, I have posted about it in the Home reno section) ...I have 6' tall steel posts with the boards alternating on each side. (horizontal shadow box?) So that makes like 14 6" boards per segment, 7 on each side. I might need to mark each board in place and then cut it, in order to hide the errors caused by the posts not being at the same distance of perfectly straight

Comment

Working...
                        X