No announcement yet.

Adding a riser block to an 18" bandsaw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a riser block to an 18" bandsaw?

I have an 18" tiawanese made bandsaw, it crrently has a 1.5hp motor and ~11.5" of resaw. While using it the other day i really put it to work processing some elm logs and it preformed really well. The frame is essentally a larger version of a 14" delta so i dont really see a reason i couldnt add a small riser block in the 3" range. The blades i purchased are most likely going to be a custom legenthn so i dont see an issue there and the blade guides come down low enough that i dont think adding 3" would be that detrimental. I have seen people use shop made wooden blocks, I have some IPE on hand that i think would be strong enough. Is there anything im missing on my plans? I have a 2hp motor that i might be swapping onto the saw in the future to give it more power.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Adding a riser block to an 18" bandsaw?

the Ipe shouldnt be an issue as long as the machining is done accurately. ie flat and parallel mounting surfaces so that the wheels stay inplane
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

A friend of mine did it with a maple block , on his 14'' Rockwell , looks to work fine.

As Steve says whell alignment is critical if u want the blades to track properly

You may also want to add a longer blade cover on the left back side of the saw

Most upper blade posts are sandard diameters you can find in a machine shop so adding a new post is possible , it only needs a center hole drilled & tapped at one end iirc

Comment

i dont have the answers but but putting out suggestions!

grain orientation: i would think grain direction should be vertical for less expansion/shrinkage from season to season

machining the riser block: it might be worthwhile having a machine shop cut the two mating surfaces flat and parallel

locating pins: there probably are at least one or more locating pin in one of the castings, you probably should duplicate that in the riser block

bolts to hold everything together: long bolts right through the riser block and castings, again a machine shop would be able to drill them more precisely than most of us
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions, adding a longer blade guard on the left would be easy since my current one is a wooden block with metal clips but definetly a good suggrstion. I would try orienting the grain vertically, hopfully by the time i do this my big radial arm saw will be set up so i might be able to make an accurate block without getting a machinest involeved but i dont think IPE goes through a lot of movment. If i did get someone with a mill involved i would just opt for a chunk of steel instead of wood. I work in Nisku Alberta and there is lots of easy access to large bolts so adding a longer bolt i would buy the best grade they have. Most of the guide bars i have seen are hex rod with a small rounded section on one end so an easy modification for any metal lathe. or a wood lathe and a grinder! If i did change out the upper guides I think i would try and make my own attempt at something close to what either methias wendel built or how carter guides work.

Comment

Last year I've made an upper blade guide for a 18'' bandsaw involving ball bearings.

Guide can accommodate blades 1/2'' to 1'' in width.

If it can help , I'll post some pictures if ever I can find them.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Andre in Quebec View Post
              Last year I've made an upper blade guide for a 18'' bandsaw involving ball bearings.

Guide can accommodate blades 1/2'' to 1'' in width.

If it can help , I'll post some pictures if ever I can find them.
              I just recently made an upper wheel blade guide for a small Henry Craftmaster bandsaw from a couple of blocks of aluminum. If this helps, here is a picture. The bearings were router bearings that I found at Lee Valley. It works great. The cap bolts that hold the bearings in place are long and can accommodate a second set of blade bearings for wider blades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0762.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	5.88 MB
ID:	1200610Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0760.JPG
Size:	6.59 MB
ID:	1200611Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0761.JPG
Size:	5.64 MB
ID:	1200612
              Andre in Quebec likes this.

Comment

I would use a short piece of steel rectangular tubing, oriented vertically..................Regards, Rod.
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

3'' X 2 1/2'' 3/8'' thick angle iron , 3'' long

Guides are 1/2'' stainless steel shafting that I've found at a local scrap yard

Blocs are 1'' X 1'' cold rolled steel approx. 3'' long as well

Knob is from a 3/4'' stainless steel bolt that I've turned & knurled

Adjustment screw is also 1/2'' stainless that I've threaded 1/2''-13 left hand so that when knob is turned clockwise the whole assembly travels towards the blade ( shown here w a 1'' wide band).

Whole guide is approx. 7 & 1/2'' long + knob held to the 1 1/4'' post by a 1/2''-13 bolt.

Side bearing assembly is on a 3/4'' shaft that is drilled& tapped off-center at the end so when rotated bearings can be adjusted close or farther from the band.

Before cleaning&painting:

Name:	DSCF6481 (Copier).JPG
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1200719

Painted:

Name:	DSCF6503 (Copier).JPG
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1200720

Name:	DSCF6477 (Copier).JPG
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1200721

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X