Table Saw Miter Gauge Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Miter Gauge Advice

My old Skilsaw table saw gave up the ghost on Friday.

Purchased a new Skilsaw SPT99-11 to replace it. It seemed like the best I could do, given the last of space in my garage, and given reliability and quality report of saws in this price range.

So far, I am mostly happy with the new table saw, but definitely NOT impressed with the miter gauge included. No surprises there....I have to wonder why most new table saws come with miter gauges of questionable quality, sloppy fit in the slots, and no adjustability.

At this time, I am looking at either the Kreg or the Incra miter gauges. Online reviews often put the Incra as slightly better. The Incra 1000SE and the Kreg are close to the same price, just under $200.00 when you look around a bit.

What is the consensus here? Who has what, and why?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Table Saw Miter Gauge Advice

Honestly, for that saw I would make an adjustable sled............Rod.
    mikeddd and Randy in Calgary like this.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
      Honestly, for that saw I would make an adjustable sled............Rod.
      Rod - a new crosscut sled is in the near future, but I also use a miter gauge a lot.

Comment

That model number came up as a worm drive
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          That model number came up as a worm drive
          That is correct - a table saw that uses the Skilsaw worm drive.

Skil sells two table saws that use a worm drive - the other one is SPT70 (or something similar with a "70"), and is a smaller unit that does not have a folding stand.

Comment

You can often tighten a sloppy fit, if it isn't too bad, by centre-punching the sides that fit in the slot.

I also make a longer face for the gauge by attaching a piece of hardwood that I face with some fine sandpaper which helps keep the workpiece from moving slightly along the face when using. I also make the hardwood on the blade side a bit longer and then trim it off which gives an accurate reference point where the cut will be at least for that blade.
            billh

Comment

I have the Incra 1000SE, which replaced a sled that I used for a couple years. The zero-clearance kerf on my sled was starting to wear out so it was tough to line up my cuts when I couldn't tell where the blade was going to cut. I had a few options, spend a day building a new sled, spend a day (or more) building a nicer sled with a replaceable insert for when the zero clearance kerf gets sloppy again or buy a nice mitre gauge that I can easily install a sacrificial piece on for getting a new zero-clearance kerf whenever I wanted.

I opted for the mitre gauge because with my two young daughters I don't have a lot of shop time, and any shop time I do have I would rather build furniture than a sled. That being said, I love the Incra 1000SE, I have installed a piece of ply on it for a larger reference surface and the ability to get a new zero-clearance kerf, the added benefit is I can make bevel cuts or various mitre cuts with it. The downside is that it does have a smaller crosscut limit than my sled which has annoyed me a couple times.

So to summarize, I love my Incra but if I had more shop time I would still be using a sled.

Comment

Craig, fixing the zero clearance insert is dead simple. The Wood Whisperer did a video on filling the oversize slot with epoxy and recutting it but I just rip a thin piece of scrap wood to glue in the slot and then recut. Done it several times, in fact I'm probably due to do it again now.

Robert, I also have the Incra 1000SE, it's a great mitre gage.

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
                  You can often tighten a sloppy fit, if it isn't too bad, by centre-punching the sides that fit in the slot.
                  Tried that. Going to have to pound the cr** out of it to make a difference. Also thought about trying UHMW tape along the sides, but in the end I will have a well beaten gauge that is not well made and needs constand abuse to fit the slot properly.

Also added a piece to the gauge to lengthen, with sandpaper. That helped.

Thinking about making a thicker piece with a T-slot on either the front face or the top for an adjustable stop - all wood, of course. Sometimes, we can get carried away with neat solutions and neat projects and forget that we are putting pearls on a pig.

All this helps, but you can tell the miter gauge feels like something you pick up for free at a show from the discards bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by nugsthecat View Post
                    I have the Incra 1000SE, which replaced a sled that I used for a couple years. The zero-clearance kerf on my sled was starting to wear out so it was tough to line up my cuts when I couldn't tell where the blade was going to cut.
                    The sled from my old saw will be recycled, and a new one built.

I hope to use UHMW runners, screwed on. That should limit the wear, and make it easy to replace them if they get sloppy.

If I could just find a piece of 3/4" plywood that is actually FLAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                      Craig, fixing the zero clearance insert is dead simple. The Wood Whisperer did a video on filling the oversize slot with epoxy and recutting it but I just rip a thin piece of scrap wood to glue in the slot and then recut. Done it several times, in fact I'm probably due to do it again now.
                      First time I have heard shimming a slow referred to as a "zero clearance insert". I thought those were for the blade....?
                      Two votes for the Incra, none for any other brands.

Comment

You could make one and use protractor/plastic triangles for setting angles dead on. I made this one for my bandsaw. Cost almost nothing.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1203932Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.JPG
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1203933Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.JPG
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1203934
                        Cheers
                        Randy

Comment

Robert, not sure if you understood my comment on the blade slot (I misspoke when I said zero clearance insert) . I'm referring to filling the blade slot in the sled and recutting it. Yes the slot in the sled is not truly a zero clearance but if you fill and recut it, it is close to a zero clearance slot at least for a while.

Comment

jds miter guage

Comment

Ah, I don't know why I never thought of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X