Tuning crosscut outrigger & 5 cut accuracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning crosscut outrigger & 5 cut accuracy

i tuned up the cross cut sled on the outrigger of my Felder today. I started with a 5x4 piece of 3/4" mdf. and used the five cut method as well as a framing square, a starrett adjustable square,and cross corner measurements.my observations are,my framing sugared is not square,if I relied on the fixed square,the cross corner measurements,or the adjustable square,I would have said good enough sooner.by the time I was done,the
    longest edge of the sheet was about 45", and the off cut of the fith cut varies a couple thousands.its interesting by the other methods/ tools it appeared square long before,and still appeared square when done,except wth the framing square,I guess it should be tossed.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tuning crosscut outrigger & 5 cut accuracy

Great work, Al. It is nice to have that 90 degrees dialed in.

Did you confirm that when you adjust the sled to a different angle and then return to the 90 degree setting, that your cut is just as accurate?

You may also want to check the accuracy if you move the outrigger to a different location on the sliding table. Hopefully, this will not change the accuracy but it is good to know for sure.

David

Comment

Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
      Great work, Al. It is nice to have that 90 degrees dialed in.

Did you confirm that when you adjust the sled to a different angle and then return to the 90 degree setting, that your cut is just as accurate?

You may also want to check the accuracy if you move the outrigger to a different location on the sliding table. Hopefully, this will not change the accuracy but it is good to know for sure.

David
      Good points David,I will have to look at that

Comment

Along the same lines...

I was in a class in Mississauga last night. One of the guys had a cheap dollar store tape measure.

He compared it to other tape measures, and did not like the results. Where all other tape measures shows 48", his showed 49"!

How is it even legal to see something like this in Canada?

Ditto the framing square. Are there not standards that must be met?

Comment

Framing squares need constant checking. They can be corrected by punching the corner, hopefully there is a you tube video on the subject.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
            Framing squares need constant checking. They can be corrected by punching the corner, hopefully there is a you tube video on the subject.
            Rob
            For its intended purpose it might be alright,but when I have more time I will look for a video on how to tune it,thanks for the tip.in the interim,it will be a wall hanger

Comment

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
              Along the same lines...

I was in a class in Mississauga last night. One of the guys had a cheap dollar store tape measure.

He compared it to other tape measures, and did not like the results. Where all other tape measures shows 48", his showed 49"!

A inch over four feet,that's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                A inch over four feet,that's crazy
                I guess they can sell junk like that because there is so much stuff being imported that it is impossible to know, let alone verify, everything that crosses the border.

Still, someone should take one of those and send them to the appropriate department in Ottawa. I am sure that waiting for a reply would guarantee you a very, very long life.....

Comment

Along the same lines...

Tape measures are made by printing from a rubber stamp, as such, the accuracy will never be anything like a steel rule which is stamped by a die.

Yes, measuring equipment can be built to a standard, there are many. Most people would never need, nor be willing to pay for something that meets a standard.

Unless you're using a measuring device for commerce ( gas pump, scale etc) there's no legal requirement for measurement accuracy..............Rod.
                  Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                    Unless you're using a measuring device for commerce ( gas pump, scale etc) there's no legal requirement for measurement accuracy..............Rod.
                    Rod - that is scary!

Like Al said - one inch error over 48 inches, and people are going to buy this and wonder why the rest of the world is wrong????

Comment

Rod - that is scary!

Like Al said - one inch error over 48 inches, and people are going to buy this and wonder why the rest of the world is wrong????
                      Yes, that's why you are taught to measure and build with the same tape measure, the numbers might be wrong however at least the cabinet will fit
                      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Dare I be the one to disagree? I believe you get what you pay for but I certainly can't vouch for the newer tape measures being made and imported but I have never found any measuring device that was out 1 inch in 48, so I would normally call BS on this but considering the time and no desire to do it right, I would want to see if they left out #13. The worst I ever found was an 1/8th of an inch and a lot of that discrepancy was from the tape measure hook wearing out. [certain amounts of humour were intended for those of you who don't understand humour!]
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I used to wear out a lot of hook rivets doing welding jobs so I would cut the tapes by one inch and punch a new rivet hole. One day a neighbour borrowed a tape from me because he needed a 16' to make his new stairs for the second story of his shop and only had a 10'. Had I been home when he borrowed it I would have warned him.
                          Rob

Comment

While there are tapes that leave a lot to be desired there are also tapes held to a high standard of accuracy that can be to compared to a steel rule of the equivalent length. Fortunately, not all tapes are made the same way as stated above, but it does take a little time and research to find out what's good. Unfortunately like everything on the internet there is a lot of mistruths, personal opinions and just plain BS regarding them. A couple of things to read that might help.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/c...o-rules-tapes/

http://www.hultafors.com/hand-tools/tape-measures/

http://www.hultafors.com/about-our-p...ng-technology/

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              Dare I be the one to disagree? I believe you get what you pay for but I certainly can't vouch for the newer tape measures being made and imported but I have never found any measuring device that was out 1 inch in 48, so I would normally call BS on this but considering the time and no desire to do it right, I would want to see if they left out #13. The worst I ever found was an 1/8th of an inch and a lot of that discrepancy was from the tape measure hook wearing out. [certain amounts of humour were intended for those of you who don't understand humour!]
                              I don't understand? What is "left out #13"?

I would have called B.S. on this as well, had I not been there at the time.

Had my own tape measure there, so I compared that as well, and it also came up at 48", which was a relief.

I have one very similar to these from Lee Valley. Mine is no longer listed - maybe because it is imperial only.

Comment

Working...
                              X