Click image for larger version

Name:	448BD717-64CB-4EBA-BC80-CE994E059EEF.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	1220144Click image for larger version

Name:	ED9CD3A5-0114-48CD-BDE9-018CCD06CD41.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1220143 Lucky enough to find this jointer in good shape for $800. Added the mobile base and some elbow grease to clean some minor rust and rings from finish cans. It’s aging much better than I am.
    Question: one of the levers is missing the knob anyone know a good source for older General parts?

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    I would be seriously looking at an 8 in or more. There are deals out there if you don't mind travelling. I have a 12 in thatcost me $1200. Have a 16 in that cost $1300. Both came out of US . The prices are. CDN $. The pic is about 700 bf of hard maple. There is at least 250 bf above the blue pencil. I measured the boards and there are 6 boards in that 250 bf that are 6 in or less in width. That lift is 8 footers. Forget about the lift of cherry. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1220486 The Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1220487

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    Sorry Terry,the number I had in my head is more like what you would pay for a head for the hammer,my bad.

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied
    Wow I would hope it's not $1200 for a byrd head! Last time I checked it was $530CAD (plus shipping and tax probably) for an 8". I had a quote for $330USD (incl shipping) for a 13" spiral head for my delta lunchbox, from CTS Manufacturing.... it was $250 for a 6" so I guessed the 8" would land in the middle.

I dunno that i need a helical head on a jointer but that's kind of the only upgrade path, which i may or may not take right away - if I can save myself from sharpening/setup (if i have two hours in the shop i don't want to spend it tinkering/setting up) then it's worth it in that respect... for me that's the whole benefit of spiral/helical cutterheads, far moreso than the effect on cutting. That and getting the wood chips nice and small so they don't clog up DC inlets!

What I've seen is a 380 on offer for around $500, it has a 2hp motor but only two knives in the cutterhead. it dates to the '50s so I'm still a bit wary of whether or not it'll be a hobby unto itself!

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
    oh i've cried many times in the past few months - new furnace, new water heater, medical bills, etc - i need to make some money on my woodworking before I get the guts to do any big spending!
    i understand that.
    i will say,$400 - $700 for the general 380, then guessing $1200 for a Byrd head,close to that hammer but no where near the capacity,

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied
    oh i've cried many times in the past few months - new furnace, new water heater, medical bills, etc - i need to make some money on my woodworking before I get the guts to do any big spending!

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    Any idea what a short-bed version from the '50s should be worth? I'm a bit torn - I'd love to have a combo machine some day but it may never happen... heavily considering if I should just pull the trigger on a vintage machine and get a helical head into it
    they say cry once.that a3-31 Chris has for sale is a very good deal

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Obviously 6 inch won't work on 7 inch unless you rip at least an inch off the 7. If you need a full 7 inch all the time,,,,,,,,, I guess you will need an 8 inch,,,,,,,,unless of course you start out using 10 inch,,,,,,which means you will need a 12 inch. etc. etc. LOL,,,,, Sorry i couldn't help myself.

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied
    yeah that's what I've got right now - i rarely end up with a board narrower than 6" though so it has always been a hassle to joint the first face, even with the fairly simple hot glue approach with a sled through the planer. i built a 7' ash dining table recently and with the added weight of the pylwood sled I was hitting the limit of what i can reasonably do on my own, so I figured it's probably time to keep an eye out for a wider jointer.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    I know many will disagree but most shops could get by real well with a lunchbox planer and a 6 inch straight knife jointer. Straight knives have worked on both machines for many years.

Leave a comment:

• Millhouse421
    replied
    Any idea what a short-bed version from the '50s should be worth? I'm a bit torn - I'd love to have a combo machine some day but it may never happen... heavily considering if I should just pull the trigger on a vintage machine and get a helical head into it
    Lots of guys on this forum with way more knowledge about that than me. I'd be guessing. Long term I might do the helical thing and maybe upgrade the motor to 2 hp. For now though, I'm content, It did a great job on some straight grained cherry I jointed yesterday,

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Millhouse421
    replied
    No sir, it was a shop liquidation from a farm near Bradford.

Leave a comment:

• ytsawman
    replied
    good score
    was that the 550 volt one in windsor way over the holidays

Leave a comment:

Working...
X