Dewalt 735 planer advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 735 planer advice

On the heels of some breakthrough advice on my jointer technique in a previous thread, I want to next ask about my planer.

I've got a 30 year old planer to match my dad's CII jointer that I've been asking questions about, but I don't have it out of storage and cleaned up yet. It's a 3hp 15" that basically looks identical to what Busy Bee sells today. Hopefully I'll get that over to my shop in the Spring.

In the meantime, I've got a Dewalt 735 that I'm getting mixed results out of. Sometimes it works great, other times not so much.

Symptoms seem to present themselves most in maple:
    — even on a light pass the machine really sounds like it's suffering
    — it'll sometimes trip the breaker as it digs in
    — it sometimes stalls on a knot and leaves that area very black
    — there's what looks like rubber dust on the surface

Is it just that the maple is really hard? I gave up this morning and used a hand plane to bring the thickness down from 1" to closer to 3/4" that I wanted. I just used the planer to clean up the last bit. Lotta work!

I run pine and cherry through it mostly fine, but maple is a real bear. I have to move the knob a fraction of a turn — maybe like 1/20th of a turn? — and even with that it suffers like crazy. To go from 1" down to 3/4" I'd have to make about 100 passes.

The knives are the originals in the machine, but I feel like I haven't used it that mch since I've gotten it.

Am I expecting too much or is this thing under-performing?

Thanks again all!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dewalt 735 planer advice

I'm mistaken on the old planer. It's a 20" not a15". Photos attached for fun. Lot's of rust on the tables, but hopefully nothing too bad. The jointer was in quite bad looking shape too, but it cleaned up really nicely.

Comment

Be sure to wax the beds to reduce friction -- this alone makes a huge difference. It really sounds like the blades are dull. I would flip the blades to the unused edge (assuming they've never been changed) and see whether that helps (be careful -- the edges are sharp).

...Wayne

Comment

the standard 735 baldes are notorious for not lasting long, sounds like its time for new ones or reverse them
        if the other side is already dull, you can lightly hone them on both faces of the edge
        pine is terrible stuff for pitch, it will affect the table, rollers and the cutting edges.
        clean and wax the table, clean the rollers and blades. black dust indicates that the rollers are slipping, if the're are badly worn, get some new ones
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Sharp blades.
          smallerstick likes this.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

you may want to check your belts - if you've stalled the cutterhead and the machine was still running, you probably burned or shredded the belt(s). i have a comparable delta planer and I can't remember what I did - I may have been trying to lower the cutterhead with the cutterhead lock engaged... but i burned the belt and there were little black bits all over. when i got the side off it was all shredded but since it's a small poly belt, it could still technically run on the three or four ribs that were left. but it it didn't run well. i ordered a new belt (and an extra) and it started running as good as new, and i haven't had a problem since. and i've run a LOT of maple through it. never endgrain, but face/edge grain is fine.

you should also check your rollers. maybe they're shredding from knotty stuff? also if you're running a lot of pine through it you may be gumming them up

Comment

I have had the same experience as you with a 735 and maple. Blades don't last at all IMO. Now that I have a big old Rockwell planer, the problems have all but disappeared. Your old 20" will seem like a dream come true compared to the 735.
              The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

As many expected, my blades were extremely dull. Just changed them for the first time — not a difficult process at all! I ran some of the maple through last week that was causing the breaker to trip and it was coming out ready for finish. Effortlessly taking off one-wheel-turn worth of thickness.

I waxed the beds last week as well and that seems to also be helping.

Many thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by saltcod View Post
                  As many expected, my blades were extremely dull. Just changed them for the first time — not a difficult process at all! I ran some of the maple through last week that was causing the breaker to trip and it was coming out ready for finish. Effortlessly taking off one-wheel-turn worth of thickness.

I waxed the beds last week as well and that seems to also be helping.

Many thanks all!
                  if you were seeing rubber bits, you should definitely still check the belts - if the dull knives of the cutterhead caused it to stall or skip, you should verify the belts haven't been damaged.

Comment

Read the instructions, a long extension cord can be a problem, the knives in the 735 are rubbish its difficult for the sharpening people to hold them to sharpen them because they are so thin and not flat, I bought 3mm TCT knives from USA for my machine, there are helix heads available for the 735, if the feed rollers have been leaving rubber behind they are probably stuffed now as they won't be holding the wood as they should do, these little machines can not stand any abuse.

Comment

Why would you do a full turn? How deep a cut is that?
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                        Why would you do a full turn? How deep a cut is that?
                        soltcod -- glad to hear things are working as I think they should.

Agree with Rusty's thought. I might take a full turn on my 735 if I'm doing pine, but for maple and oak I usually do a 1/2 turn at a time, even less if it's over 6" or so wide. I've always assumed that 2 light passes was probably easier on the machine than 1 heavier pass. I realize it's more wear on the rollers, but probably less strain on the motor and blades. Using this approach, I find that the blades don't seem to wear down near as fast as many other people complain about. However, I'm not a heavy user.

...Wayne

Per Rusty's question -- one full turn is about 3/32" cut. The manual makes no distinction between hard and soft woods, but recommends max. cut for 12" wide - 1/32" cut; 9" wide - 1/16" cut; 6" wide - 3/32" cut; 3" wide - 1/8" cut.
                        Last edited by Wayne - Oakville; 01-29-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

One thing I liked about the dw735 was how simple it was to operate, once you goto an industrial model sure you will have plenty of power, but your understanding and fine tuning will go up. Many more parts to consider on industrial models, a lot initial fine tuning and needing to keep it lubed, not to mention give it an oil change every so often.
                          You have to ask yourself does size matter.... Is it really worth going from 13" to 15" or in your case 20" and 800+lbs.

Comment

Working...
                          X