No announcement yet.

I have a 3hp shaper, now what tooling??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I have a 3hp shaper, now what tooling??

I'm Not arguing but tear out has never happened to me using the router to raise panels. I'd love to have someone tell us what is causing your grief because last time I looked, both machines spin a cutter in a circle so if you get tear out with a router it seems reasonable that you will get the same result with a shaper and if you do it is going to come down to your method and procedures. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you but if it does you will have spent a fair chunk of change to be disappointed. NO?
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      I'm Not arguing but tear out has never happened to me using the router to raise panels. I'd love to have someone tell us what is causing your grief because last time I looked, both machines spin a cutter in a circle so if you get tear out with a router it seems reasonable that you will get the same result with a shaper and if you do it is going to come down to your method and procedures. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you but if it does you will have spent a fair chunk of change to be disappointed. NO?
      I am not getting tear out raising panels, I am getting it When I profile the rails and stiles. Its not happening on all of them but a bit more often then I would want. From the comments so far, seems my technique is the issue. My first pass i run 1/16 deep and step feed it to start the groove and avoid any tear out. Then i increase the depth and finish the profile.

Are there any advantages to using a shaper cutter for rails and stiles?? If yes, what are they? Increased feed rate? Longevity of the cutter?

Comment

One trick I use is to have the blank rail/stile 1/4" or so over width. That way if a piece splinters/tear out I can run the damaged profile side across the jointer to eliminate the problem and try to run it past the shaper cutter/router bit again. When I have all the parts successfully made I run them through the saw to width + 1/16", then one pass on the jointer. Eliminates having to throw pieces away because of wild grain.
        iamtooler and Randy in Calgary like this.
        sigpic
        hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

A shaper has a superior cutter head geometry and typically will produce a better finish because it slices the wood instead of pulverizing it, though of course they're not invincible. This will often translate to less tearout but also better finishing due to less burnishing of the wood if you have your feed rate set properly. Though it's a more advanced technique, if you have a power feeder attached to your shaper, climb cutting can also help with difficult grain.

B
          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

I was searching Kijiji and a Craftex feeder popped up in Kitchener at $450, but location is PEI. Also listed on PEI Kijiji
            https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1412013949 Click image for larger version

Name:	feeder.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1221780
            sigpic
            hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

That would be a good sized feeder for that machine and I hate to say it, but it's a decent price for out east.
              Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

to bad its 4 hour drive each way for me.

Comment

Working...
                X