Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BEaver - Delta 28-200 14'' Bandsaw question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEaver - Delta 28-200 14'' Bandsaw question.

Hi everyone!

Looking to buy a Beaver Delta 14'' bandsaw 28-200 for 200$. Was wondering if this was a good price if everything works ok? Anyone ever used this bandsaw before and have pros and cons about it? I'd use it for 1 and 1 1/2 inch thick maple and oak planks. What should i be looking for when having a look at it to make sure it's in good working shape?

Thanks a lot.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: BEaver - Delta 28-200 14'' Bandsaw question.

Sounds like a good price, here is a link to a thread on my Rockwell Delta 28-200 and a couple of other threads on the same saw. I'd say it's a great price if it's a Canadian made saw from Guelph
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/tools/power-tools/vintage-power-tools/1152990-rockwell-28-200-bandsaw
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/tools/power-tools/1207518-rockwell-28-200

I seem to be having a problem with adding multiple links, if you search rockwell 28-200 on this forum you may find some more threads,

I'll try again to link to my thread
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...28-200-bandsaw
    Last edited by Doug G; 01-31-2019, 04:30 PM. Reason: added another link

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
      Thanks a lot Doug. Sadly the tool got sold before i could even go have a look at it. Someone else offered a Nordiques 14'' bandsaw but he's asking 400$ and i don't know this particular brand. Im also having trouble finding the right model online to read about it. He says it was built in 2000 model 1032C and is 10A/120v. Can't seem to find anything about it. It does look like new though. I don't know bandsaws enough to know if it is a good price or not honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by LordPM View Post

Thanks a lot Doug. Sadly the tool got sold before i could even go have a look at it. Someone else offered a Nordiques 14'' bandsaw but he's asking 400$ and i don't know this particular brand. Im also having trouble finding the right model online to read about it. He says it was built in 2000 model 1032C and is 10A/120v. Can't seem to find anything about it. It does look like new though. I don't know bandsaws enough to know if it is a good price or not honestly.
        LordPM sir, I don't know your saw you talking about, however here are some things to look for in general. Look for strength between upper and lower wheel. I have a General 490 and this section is built using Cast Iron, very heavy, very strong. If you have steel construction is it thin or heavy guage material? I'm not talking about the doors, but the portion holding the wheels. Is there a good tensioning system for the blade? Does the work table look durable? If you look at these areas and are happy they are strong and durable, then perhaps it's a good buy. Also reference a brand new saw similar dimensions and see what the asking price is then you have a good comparison price wise. Also you will want ton consider if the bearings are good on the wheels, what the condition of everything is... cracks deep scrapes in the paint etc.

Good luck sir.

Comment

Not surprised it went quickly at that price. Never heard of Nordiques brand (other than the old Quebec Nordiques NHL team). There are a ton of 14" bandsaws out there that are essentially Asian copies of the one you missed with different brand names. It's probably one of those, a quick Google search turns up a tool company by that name so it could be their house brand. I had a WA14M that was made in Taiwan in 1990 before I got my current Guelph made Rockwell Delta. It was a reasonably good saw, the Rockwell Delta is a little better. Wood Grower's advice is good although I wouldn't be concerned about scratches on the paint, more concerned about how smoothly it runs and cuts.

http://www.nordiques.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
            Not surprised it went quickly at that price. Never heard of Nordiques brand (other than the old Quebec Nordiques NHL team). There are a ton of 14" bandsaws out there that are essentially Asian copies of the one you missed with different brand names. It's probably one of those, a quick Google search turns up a tool company by that name so it could be their house brand. I had a WA14M that was made in Taiwan in 1990 before I got my current Guelph made Rockwell Delta. It was a reasonably good saw, the Rockwell Delta is a little better. Wood Grower's advice is good although I wouldn't be concerned about scratches on the paint, more concerned about how smoothly it runs and cuts.

http://www.nordiques.com/
            Good sir Doug, if you have thin gauge metal construction and scratched paint, you risk corrosion and corrosion on thin gauge will leave you with nothing if left ignored. Again this is situational however it should be considered on a used purchase. Another thing to watch would be 'fresh' paint in an area that may be concealing a damaged area. You never know what you are buying until you examine it for yourself.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Wood Grower View Post

Good sir Doug, if you have thin gauge metal construction and scratched paint, you risk corrosion and corrosion on thin gauge will leave you with nothing if left ignored. Again this is situational however it should be considered on a used purchase. Another thing to watch would be 'fresh' paint in an area that may be concealing a damaged area. You never know what you are buying until you examine it for yourself.
              Not sure if I deserve the formal title but thanks. Can I call you Wood for short? Haven't come across any woodworking tools with thin enough metal construction to be concerned with corrosion from a scratch, I think if I did I would reject it even if unscratched. Totally agree you need to have a good look and preferably see it run to know what your getting.

Comment

Thanks a lot gentlemen! All those advices are truly appreciated!

Comment

Nordiques was in fact a brand name for clones coming from Asia.

Comment

Working...
                  X