Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 in one combination machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4 in one combination machine

    Just curious if anyone else here has one,or would want one?
    Or am I the only one
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: 4 in one combination machine

    Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
    Just curious if anyone else here has one,or would want one?
    Or am I the only one
    Having seen yours Al, if woodworking was as big a part of my hobby life as it is for some people, I think I would want one. It certainly reduces the need for shop space. I think that a person would have to have a more organised mind and a better ability to plan work flow than I have had.

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: 4 in one combination machine

      If I had known I was going to be in my little shop as long as I have been, I would have bought one!
      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

      http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: 4 in one combination machine

        While I think I would like one, really the only way to know for sure is to "borrow" one... temporarily of course.

        If anyone would like to offer theirs up for loaning out, just start a thread asking others their thoughts on "4 in one combo machines"


        I would really like a sliding saw, coupled with a shaper ideally... however the 4 in 1 you have Al seems to have fulfilled all your wishes, so I'm sure I too would enjoy such a beast.
        [insert something witty here]

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: 4 in one combination machine

          Originally posted by beakie View Post
          While I think I would like one, really the only way to know for sure is to "borrow" one... temporarily of course.

          If anyone would like to offer theirs up for loaning out, just start a thread asking others their thoughts on "4 in one combo machines"


          I would really like a sliding saw, coupled with a shaper ideally... however the 4 in 1 you have Al seems to have fulfilled all your wishes, so I'm sure I too would enjoy such a beast.
          I can't say I would loan out my machine,but if a qualified person from the form had a day project to do,could be fun to have them over

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: 4 in one combination machine

            Originally posted by beakie View Post
            While I think I would like one, really the only way to know for sure is to "borrow" one... temporarily of course.

            If anyone would like to offer theirs up for loaning out, just start a thread asking others their thoughts on "4 in one combo machines"


            I would really like a sliding saw, coupled with a shaper ideally... however the 4 in 1 you have Al seems to have fulfilled all your wishes, so I'm sure I too would enjoy such a beast.
            I have had that same thought.
            im very intrigued by them but I have never used one.

            I love the idea of a jointer planer combo but I would be hard pressed to sell my general 20” planer.

            Nathan

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: 4 in one combination machine

              Hi, I've used them, and know people who have them.

              As you're probably aware I have one that's split apart. I have a jointer/planer and a saw/shaper.

              The 4 function combination machines give you good value for your money, however they have a square footprint and need a square shop space.

              My shop is "L" shaped so the J/P is against a wall in the longer hallway shaped portion of the shop.

              If you have the correct room shape the 4 function combination machine saves space as the J/P occupies the space normally wasted by the saw right side table.

              The other nice feature of the 4 function is that if you have the correct stock feeder it can flip up and be used on the jointer. I use the feeder from my saw/shaper on the jointer if I have a lot of face jointing to do................Regards, Rod.
              nnieman likes this.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: 4 in one combination machine

                I do suspect I may be the only one here with a four in one.i know Rod has the saw/ shaper and jointer/planer combos and suspect David and a few more may have this one two punch,and frankly I also think it is probably the best for small shops.Rod is correct about a square shop,mine is not quite square but the configuration does work quite well,but I have thought and questioned about splitting my combo in half.
                i am sure many more have a jointer/planer combo.
                A visit from a form member last weekend prompted me to ask this question,as he made a remark about combos being well suited for hobbiest with small shops and was surprised they were not promoted and discussed more on woodworking forums

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: 4 in one combination machine

                  Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                  I do suspect I may be the only one here with a four in one.i know Rod has the saw/ shaper and jointer/planer combos and suspect David and a few more may have this one two punch,and frankly I also think it is probably the best for small shops.Rod is correct about a square shop,mine is not quite square but the configuration does work quite well,but I have thought and questioned about splitting my combo in half.
                  i am sure many more have a jointer/planer combo.
                  A visit from a form member last weekend prompted me to ask this question,as he made a remark about combos being well suited for hobbiest with small shops and was surprised they were not promoted and discussed more on woodworking forums
                  Agreed

                  Especually the table saw shaper combo - my cabinet saw and separate shaper eat up a lot of shop space.

                  Nathan

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: 4 in one combination machine

                    I’m intrigued and have a small shop. Can those of you that have them post some photos?

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: 4 in one combination machine

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1221982Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	1221981
                      Originally posted by ShoestringMariner View Post
                      I’m intrigued and have a small shop. Can those of you that have them post some photos?
                      here is mine

                      timberframe, ShoestringMariner and 2 others like this.

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: 4 in one combination machine

                        That machine looks monstrous but also, very, very cool. I sort of expected to see a machine where everything was sort of compressed together with some components perhaps compromised to save space but this thing look pro on all sides

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: 4 in one combination machine

                          Originally posted by ShoestringMariner View Post
                          I’m intrigued and have a small shop. Can those of you that have them post some photos?
                          https://youtu.be/eV8A3XK3R0I

                          Hi, the above long video gives you a very comprehensive view of using a 5 function machine.....Rod
                          Work is the curse of the riding class.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: 4 in one combination machine

                            Originally posted by ShoestringMariner View Post
                            That machine looks monstrous but also, very, very cool. I sort of expected to see a machine where everything was sort of compressed together with some components perhaps compromised to save space but this thing look pro on all sides
                            nothing Mickey Mouse here.
                            it is large,but relitive to separate machines if the same caliber and capacity it is quite small

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: 4 in one combination machine

                              Cats meow if you don't have a lot of space or furniture makers that are not going back and forth all the time. There was a German company at the machinery show this past summer with a name I had never seen before.They make them to order and started in the $50,000 range IIRC. I think Joe Calhoun knows the owner.
                              Brian
                              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X