Using the moulder part of a Foley Belsaw planer moulder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the moulder part of a Foley Belsaw planer moulder

I purchased the Foley-Belsaw planer moulder a couple of years ago and have used it for planing but not as of yet for moulding. it came with a couple of profiles, one knife and some weights to balance the other two slots.
    I have a project coming up where I need to reproduce the base moulding in the century house we live in. I lucked out and found a profile copy shaper so I can grind my own knives.
    would I be better to grind 3 knives? my thinking is it would give a better finish and each knife would be taking a smaller cut.
    while I'm at it any tips or running this machine as a moulder would be great.
    Thanks all.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Using the moulder part of a Foley Belsaw planer moulder

Second question on the knives A2 or D2 that is the question.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

What is the profile grinder?

How do the knives mount to the belsaw?

I think the odds of getting all three knives ground exactly the same and mounted exactly the same are pretty slim.

How many feet of moulding are you running? If only a few hundred feet just use 1 knife and slowdown the feed rate.

I think all my cutters are hss so I cant comment of the a2 vs d2.

Nathan

Comment

You have to have some wood in contact with the rollers or else it will fire it out at tremendous force. Never stand behind it when it's running. I received an injury from ejected small trim so I always stand to the side of the machine. I have made several single cutters for mine, but it's hard to get a balance weight right. I guess a small weight scale would help. I used 0-1 steel to grind the shape, then heat treated it. Right now it's fitted with 2 sizes of crown molding cutters I purchased for an Asian made molder.
        sigpic
        hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Working...
        X