Hitachi F1000A Jointer Planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitachi F1000A Jointer Planer

Does anyone have one of these machines? I picked up a very rusty and what I thought to be complete machine on the weekend. It cleaned up nicely but a lot of the fasteners, including those that secure the cutting knives, were missing. I managed to find fasteners that work , but am not very satisfied with the ones I am using to hold the blades in place. For those I ended up using 1/2" 1/4" x 28 tpi bolts. They fit and seem to work but are clearly not what should be used. I searched the internet and all I can find for a description is part no 51, 52,164 and 165 and they are simply called inner and outer bolts. I know the thread pattern, but need to know the bolt length and head type. I am hoping that someone on this forum has one of these machines and is able to share that information.

Thanks,
    Machine Side view Machine front view Jointer knife with bolts
    Last edited by tool fan; 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Hitachi F1000A Jointer Planer

Being Hitachi, youd think those bolts should be metric?

Are these the correct bolts? https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bolt-p-205517.html
    Last edited by scooby074; 02-05-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scooby, I saw those and am not convinced that they are correct. The trouble is that I need 24 and the cost including shipping to Canada is about $3.70 US per bolt, an expensive gamble to see.
      Last edited by tool fan; 02-05-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I believe that Hitachi use metric fasteners. but your real problem may be that you've damaged the threads in the cutter head by trying to use imperial bolts. And that is a very high stress area for a bolt. Maybe this is an excuse to get a spiral cutter head

Comment

Hitachi did use metric fasteners.
          Since imperial sizes seem to fit now, indicates that the previous owner messed up the threads.

Comment

If the bolts are tight and thread in then run a tap into each hole and find out the depth and then use the appropriate bolts. If they are loose then find the next metric size and run that tap in and out to repair and then get those bolts. Just a suggestion for you but it's what I would do. Go to a good fastener supply and get a good grade bolt.
            Chimera and tool fan like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have this machine...I think that Wally is correct now though, as you have already used different bolts. If you still want me to try to measure something on my machine, please ask.
              When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Thanks very much everyone. I have persuaded the guy I got the machine from to have another look and thankfully he managed to find 18 of the 24 bolts. I can also now interpret what the difference between "inside and outside" bolts actually means. From here it shouldn't be too difficult to get it running.

Thanks again.
                scooby074 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
                  Thanks very much everyone. I have persuaded the guy I got the machine from to have another look and thankfully he managed to find 18 of the 24 bolts. I can also now interpret what the difference between "inside and outside" bolts actually means. From here it shouldn't be too difficult to get it running.

Thanks again.
                  Glad youre getting it squared away. Looking online, it seems some of the bolts (outside maybe?) are NLA. If you can get some of the actual bolts, it should be no problem to match them up at a local industrial supply (Fastenal for example) and get something closer to home to avoid shipping. Just be sure to get quality bolts. If somebody has put standard bolts in there, the threads could be damaged and will need further investigation.

Comment

Working...
                  X