Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short stroke sliding table saws (minimax, hammer, cwi)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short stroke sliding table saws (minimax, hammer, cwi)

Hey everyone, this coming summer Iíll be in the market for a shorter stroke sliding table saw (min 5í). Iím having some difficulty weighing options.

I work in a shop where we have a Silver 10í slider and an 8í scm. Iím used to operating industial machinery thatís been beaten up on and Iím curious if Iíd see higher quality than what Iím used to out of the pro-sumer home gamers stuff or if Iíd be disappointed with going that route.

Iíd consider having a phase converter setup if my electrician can do it and if itís allowed in my area. But for now Iím strictly looking at 5í 220v single phase.

Running contenders are: scm minimax sc2, hammer k3 winner comfort, cwi stallion s5.

Iíve talked extensively with a felder rep about the differences between hammer and felder so I feel comfortable with them. The scm meets my rip capacity spec and is kind on the eyes. The cwi stallions rip capacity is a worry area and the fact I canít find any information about the stallion series sliders.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, by all means make suggestions as you seem fit! Thanks again!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Short stroke sliding table saws (minimax, hammer, cwi)

I have a SCM 350 n 10 ft slider in my shop. I would have no hesitation in purchasing a CWI Slider or as someone suggested Busy Bee are now selling Rikon. Another. Option would be Cantek. I believe they also have a 5 ft slider. I would take the Cantek over all the others including Minimax and Hammer. Cantek is the house brand of Akhurst Machinery.Cantek is made in Taiwan. Akhurst is heavily involved in the Industrial side of Woodworking and have offices across Canada. They have been around a long time and have an excellent reputation for service
    Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I didnít even think of cantek, the main shaper I run is a cantek and everything about it is top notch. A joy to run, Iíll have to check out the panel saws.

the Rikon busy bee has appears to be 3 phase sadly...Iíll really have to start considering a phase converter I suppose

Comment

I have 2 phase converters in my shop. If you intend to buy more machinery I would go with a VFD but the big advantage of a ROTARY Phase converteris you can run multiple machines from one converter. You can get good prices on used 3 phase equipment.

Brian

If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I notice that our friend Rod Sheridan has not pitched in yet; I am sure he will have interesting words of encouragement for your plans. One question: have you considered buying a machine that also integrates the shaper (I realize that there are financial implications for doing so)?

Comment

Iím a fan of the short stroke sliders, I have one with the shaper built in.

I made my decision based upon local support and service.

Iím sure youíll enjoy the machine you pick.....Rod
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

When I spoke to a felder rep I was looking into the kf series and the hammer b series. Iíve somewhat narrowed my sights to saw only but if I get the chance to go to a felder open house or at least see a hammer k series in a store than Iíll consider the saw/spindle moulder again.

Does the sliding table of the saw work well with the shaper function? Iíd be primarily making doors so the tenoning capabilities are a huge bonus.

Iím planning on heading up to the gta area at some point to try to see some of this machinery in person before I make any hard decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairweather View Post
                When I spoke to a felder rep I was looking into the kf series and the hammer b series. Iíve somewhat narrowed my sights to saw only but if I get the chance to go to a felder open house or at least see a hammer k series in a store than Iíll consider the saw/spindle moulder again.

Does the sliding table of the saw work well with the shaper function? Iíd be primarily making doors so the tenoning capabilities are a huge bonus.

Iím planning on heading up to the gta area at some point to try to see some of this machinery in person before I make any hard decisions.
                Hi, it would be really nice if you would update your profile with your first name so I don't have to call you "Hey You"

The sliding table works very well with the shaper, that's why I bought the B3 Winner Winner.

Here's a post on making tenons on it. You can also use a stacked cutter to machine both sides of the tenon simultaneously.

The Felder open house is March 28 through 30, I'll be there on the 29 and 30, so if you go on the Thursday you can avoid me.

The Band saw and Jointer/Planer Seminar is on May 25, the Format saw and Shaper Seminar is on September 21, more info will be posted on those events shortly........Regards, Rod.

P.S, you're a long way away however if you're in the Toronto area you can come to my house and try the B3 out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

The Band saw and Jointer/Planer Seminar is on May 25, the Format saw and Shaper Seminar is on September 21, more info will be posted on those events shortly........Regards, Rod.
                  I'll be marking those dates in my calendar Now that I live in Toronto I definitely would like to check them out.

Comment

Thanks Rod, Iíll have to do a search for that tennon post! Fingers crossed I can convince the wife that the March 30th date is a ďĒromantic getawayĒĒ, full of ďĒdestination toursĒĒ.

Last edited by Fairweather; 02-09-2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairweather View Post
                      Thanks Rod, Iíll have to do a search for that tennon post! Fingers crossed I can convince the wife that the March 30th date is a ďĒromantic getawayĒĒ, full of ďĒdestination toursĒĒ.

Excellent idea Ben......Regards Rod.

Comment

Working...
                      X