Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short stroke sliding table saws (minimax, hammer, cwi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Short stroke sliding table saws (minimax, hammer, cwi)

Hey, Rob,

You're not quite correct regarding your statement about scoring blades. They're for scoring any face material, be they wood veneer or man-made "veneer" material such as the melamine you mention, which is facing against the top of the table. That way they help ensure the veneeer (whatever material it is made of) won't be torn away by the main blade as it comes down through the scoring blade kerf.

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Scoring blades are for melamine coated particleboard, is this what you are buying the saw for?
    Rob
    All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @schlossermarty
    - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I am with Rob on the main use for a scoring blade is scoring melamine coated material. I have never used a scoring blade nor do I know of anyone in a commercial shop that uses the scoring blade as a routine on wood veneers when using a slider. I buy 3/4 veneer core maple plywood by the lift to build my kitchens. I get as clean a cut on the underside as I do on the top. Nothing wrong with using it on veneers but that scoring blade sticking up an 1/8 on an inch is awful easy to overlook when sliding sheet goods around on top of the saw.

Brian
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I've made my choice and a S8 will be in my shop next week! Very happy with my decision. Cole Moore at Canadian Woodworker Ltd has been over my expectation in helping me with all my questions.

I wanted to ask if any of you know a service technician in the greater Montreal area. I'd like to have it adjust properly!

Regards,

Comment

Congratulations on your purchase.there is not a lot of owner feedback on this brand,please keep us updated.
          im betting you are going to love using a euro style slider
          mrbricole likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbricole View Post
            Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I've made my choice and a S8 will be in my shop next week! Very happy with my decision. Cole Moore at Canadian Woodworker Ltd has been over my expectation in helping me with all my questions.

I wanted to ask if any of you know a service technician in the greater Montreal area. I'd like to have it adjust properly!

Regards,
            Congratulations!

This is a brand new machine. The factory should have it set up before shipment. If there is any adjustment needed It should be Canadian Woodworker's responsibly if it not done at the factory. I A am not 100% because I do not import machinery but they may have to open the crates and assemble the machines for CSA certification anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ezermester View Post

Congratulations!

This is a brand new machine. The factory should have it set up before shipment. If there is any adjustment needed It should be Canadian Woodworker's responsibly if it not done at the factory. I A am not 100% because I do not import machinery but they may have to open the crates and assemble the machines for CSA certification anyway.
              When a friend bought a Felder slider the factory sent a technician to set it up in his shop. He stayed at a nearby hotel overnight.

Comment

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

When a friend bought a Felder slider the factory sent a technician to set it up in his shop. He stayed at a nearby hotel overnight.
                Yup, commissioning, and it ain't cheap $$$$$

Comment

Someone in Regina is selling a Hammer K4. I have no idea if it’s a good deal though...

Click image for larger version

Name:	6C8B2770-7E2F-4F3F-AF6B-AF717F5E6C00.png
Views:	129
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	1270701

Comment

I know there has been a lot of talk here on the forum as of late about sliders and yes the folks who have seen our Stallion saws are very impressed. Purchasing a slider is much different than purchasing a cabinet saw. Especially an 8' or 10' saw which are built for commercial work and are much more complicated machinery as such....even our 4' and 5' models are built similar. Benoit is asking about local techs in his area because i have recommended to him that he may need help setting up his saw. There is a process that owners of this type of equipment must go through for the saw to cut properly. Has nothing to do with quality of the saw, assembly at the factory or setting up in our own warehouse. The only way to ship these machines to customers is in a disassembled state. They need to be reassembled on site. This is where the set up is required. In most commercial applications we will send our technician in to set up the machine for the customer and a fee is charged for this. The fee will be on top of the saw price or buried in the selling price. Shipping costs are also handled this way.

For us to send a tech to Quebec to install the saw for Benoit will be very expensive for him as we will have to factor in flight costs, room and board and the technicians fees which are usually around $100 per hour. So for Benoit and any other customer looking to purchase these types of saws we are hoping he will be able to set the saw up himself but i have warned him he may need help. To find a local tech will be far less expensive for him. Commercial shops are very willing to pay the fees and don't want to have to spend time installing their machinery but small shops and hobbyists are a little more concerned with the costs involved.

The cast iron table needs to be squared with the blade....the rip fence needs to be squared with the cast table...the sliding table needs to be squared to the cast table and fence...and lastly the outrigger and crosscut fence needs to be squared to the rip fence. It is a process with very fine adjustments involved. In order to know if your saw cuts square you take a 30" square sheet and cut it on five sides....measure corner to corner and see if it is square...if not adjustments are needed. This is one of the highlights of the Stallions is the techs like how easy the adjustments are. Had a customer in the store yesterday with a very expensive Format Felder machine and could not get it to cut straight. He needs to hire a tech to come out to help him.

So for those looking to purchase this type of commercial equipment there is a process to set these saws up perfectly...and you will love using them once you understand how they function....so much different than using a standard 10" cabinet saw.

Cole Moore
                    Canadian Woodworker Ltd
                    Nicholas and mrbricole like this.

Comment

The advantage to adjusting it yourself is that you acquire an intimate knowledge of how it works and how to keep it in perfect tune. I assume proper assembly instructions are included?
                      Rob

Comment

I would suggest that Benoit look around to find some small commercial shops that have sliders, widebelts etc. They will probably have the name of individuals that service these machines that are self employed. I have a guy in London that services most brands and charges $75 an hour and he can get a lot done in a couple of hours. Going to local dealers may also have the name of individuals that work on these machines. I have a mechanical background but the money I spent to have my slider set up was best money I spent.

Brian
                        mrbricole likes this.

Comment

I would suggest that Benoit look around to find some small commercial shops that have sliders, widebelts etc. They will probably have the name of individuals that service these machines that are self employed. I have a guy in London that services most brands and charges $75 an hour and he can get a lot done in a couple of hours. Going to local dealers may also have the name of individuals that work on these machines. I have a mechanical background but the money I spent to have my slider set up was best money I spent.

Brian

Comment

Brian,

The objective of my post was to clarify the purpose of scoring blades, which is to score veneered sheetgoods - regardless of the veneer material. I fully agree that it excels at scoring melamine veneered sheet goods, and I also agree that the vast majority of commercial shops use it primarily for that purpose. But then, they're using more melamine veneered sheetgoods than anything else.

I can see that your commercial experience is different than mine, which often included crosscutting highly brittle veneered sheetgoods. Try cutting wenge veneered sheetgoods without a scoring blade and you'll most likely agree with my premise.

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                            I am with Rob on the main use for a scoring blade is scoring melamine coated material. I have never used a scoring blade nor do I know of anyone in a commercial shop that uses the scoring blade as a routine on wood veneers when using a slider. I buy 3/4 veneer core maple plywood by the lift to build my kitchens. I get as clean a cut on the underside as I do on the top. Nothing wrong with using it on veneers but that scoring blade sticking up an 1/8 on an inch is awful easy to overlook when sliding sheet goods around on top of the saw.

Brian
                            Hey, Rob,

You're not quite correct regarding your statement about scoring blades. They're for scoring any face material, be they wood veneer or man-made "veneer" material such as the melamine you mention, which is facing against the top of the table. That way they help ensure the veneeer (whatever material it is made of) won't be torn away by the main blade as it comes down through the scoring blade kerf.

Scoring blades are for melamine coated particleboard, is this what you are buying the saw for?
                            Rob

All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @schlossermarty
                            - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                              Brian,

The objective of my post was to clarify the purpose of scoring blades, which is to score veneered sheetgoods - regardless of the veneer material. I fully agree that it excels at scoring melamine veneered sheet goods, and I also agree that the vast majority of commercial shops use it primarily for that purpose. But then, they're using more melamine veneered sheetgoods than anything else.

I can see that your commercial experience is different than mine, which often included crosscutting highly brittle veneered sheetgoods. Try cutting wenge veneered sheetgoods without a scoring blade and you'll most likely agree with my premise.

Hey, Rob,

Rob

I think Brian explained my position very well! That being said when I apprenticed I had to pre score veneer with a knife as the shop did not have a scoring attachment. Nor did they have a plastic laminate cutting saw blade as they would not allow the stuff in the shop.

Comment

Marty. I have never cut wenge but mostly veneer core plywood’s and a couple sheets of Asian that has the thinnest veneer possible. I guess we will have to disagree on the need to use scoring blade when cutting the wood veneer materials that most of us in the business use. Like I said in my earlier posts there is noting wrong with using the scoring blade but with the proper blade it is not necessary. The last sheet of MCP that I cut was probably 7or 8 years ago.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X