Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King 3hp vs General 650 table saw

Hey all

Might have a shot at moving from a King 3hp saw to a General 650. I’m not sure yet if it has a riving knife or not. That will be make or break. But assuming it has one, any one used it and a King 3hp and have opinions on the differences?
    The King is here and I assume anyone with opinions will know all about the 650. Thanks all!
    https://www.atlas-machinery.com/King/KC-26FXT/i30/30

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: King 3hp vs General 650 table saw

I know a riving knife or splitter would never be the determining factor for me. They are too easy to make or buy.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

To be perfectly honest with you: no.
      There won’t be anything that the general can do that your king doesn’t.

That being said, I’d make that trade any day.
      bigger heavier saws are a joy to use and I love using older tools.

My 2 cabinet saws are a 1960s general 250 & a 1960s poitras.

Nathan

Comment

What is the king not doing that you think the General will? I have the King and I can't see any reason why I would want to change it even if it was a free swap. I am happy with the saw and it cuts really accurate. The trade sort of reminds me of when I had a Ridgid TS1250 I think, and got an offer to trade it for a full-size cabinet unisaw. I thought it was a great deal until I realized after the fact that the unisaw was a total turd. Needed so much to get fixed and I knew full well that I was not the person who would be wanting to do it. So if it looks like a deal that is too good to be true, then it probably is. You could be trading a perfect working saw for a whole load of aggravation that you now have to deal with rather than doing woodworking.
        Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Tough call, if Made In Canada is important to you the General could be a nice saw if it had the RK. Do you know what condition the 650 is in?

However, the King will be easier to find parts for since General Canada is long gone. If your King is setup and tuned to your liking, is the lateral move worth it?

Contrary to popular belief, proper riving knives are neither easy to make, nor easy to buy...
          Last edited by Yeti; 02-09-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Give me a pattern and the specs and I'll make you one pretty damn quick.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              Give me a pattern and the specs and I'll make you one pretty damn quick.
              Fitting a riving knife to the moving saw trunion “pretty damn quick” would be an impressive feat. I have seen numerous posts on various forums trying to get that to work. Details?
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

If the saw was made to accept a riving knife are you trying to tell me it's hard to bolt in a riving knife? If you have to make a custom mount and modify the saw to do so that's a whole different ball game and definitely was not part of the comment by yeti! How come you want to change the game now. I think you better go back and read his comment cause that's what i was responding to.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

I personally would not do the trade. If you really feel the need to have a different saw,save your pennies for something that will do something different,I.e. a euro slider.You are looking at trading a perfectly good chev for a older heavier Ford.Why not aim for a Lexus?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    If the saw was made to accept a riving knife are you trying to tell me it's hard to bolt in a riving knife? If you have to make a custom mount and modify the saw to do so that's a whole different ball game and definitely was not part of the comment by yeti! How come you want to change the game now. I think you better go back and read his comment cause that's what i was responding to.
                    There’s no game Rusty. My comment referred to fitting a riving knife to a saw not designed for one. Which is not simple. I assumed the General was not designed for one because the OP stated it might not have one. I should have clarified. And I agree that fabricating a knife for a machine that was designed for one would be pretty damn quick.
                    Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 02-10-2019, 06:54 AM.
                    Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                      I personally would not do the trade. If you really feel the need to have a different saw,save your pennies for something that will do something different,I.e. a euro slider.You are looking at trading a perfectly good chev for a older heavier Ford.Why not aim for a Lexus?
                      I agree. I have owned a General 350 and it was nice but the King is just as good. Better now that General is no longer making parts.
                      Cheers
                      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

There’s no game Rusty. My comment referred to fitting a riving knife to a saw not designed for one. Which is not simple. I assumed the General was not designed for one because the OP stated it might not have one. I should have clarified. And I agree that fabricating a knife for a machine that was designed for one would be pretty damn quick.
                        Thank you. Then we agree. Fitting a riving knife to a saw that is not setup to receive one is going to be quite a performance.

I have an old Unisaw that does not readily accept a knife or splitter that will rotate with the blade in a fashion that I like so I don't bother trying or using a riving knife with my saw. I do however use a self made splitter 100% of the time and a very quick in and out mechanism that I fabricated on my own. I have a taller splitter and a lower splitter that I can use while grooving or doing dados. The changeover takes seconds.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by saltcod View Post
                          The King is here and I assume anyone with opinions will know all about the 650. Thanks all!
                          I have the Grizzly G0690 version of the King and have opinions....but I don't know all about the 650
                          the other Ken
                          ------
                          "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Here is a link to the manual from General's website.

http://general.ca/pdf/machines/50_ta...0R-T50_ENG.pdf

Comment

Marty thanks so much for that manual. It is going to be very helpful to guys looking at this saw. They really do cover the Riving knife install and in fact show TWO options. Someone here was looking for a pic of the knife so he could try to make his own and you certainly provided that. Thanks again.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X