King 3hp vs General 650 table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: King 3hp vs General 650 table saw

Lots to consider. Thanks all for the opinions. Much appreciated. On one hand, my King is here, paid for, no issues, etc. on the other hand I definitely donít love it. This decision feels akin to trading my old snowblower for a Honda. The old one did the job perfectly well but the Honda is actually enjoyable to use. The King is a nice saw but not one Iíd think people will be raving about online in 10 or 20 years.

That said, the point about saving for a Lexus wasnít lost on me either. A slider or a SawStop is in my eventual future. So maybe Iíll hang tight for now.

Will report back back with a decision when Iíve reached it!
    stotto likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by saltcod View Post
      . On one hand, my King is here, paid for, no issues, etc. on the other hand I definitely donít love it.

!
      What specifically don't you love about the King?

Comment

I vote for the General. I use a General International at home and a General at another location and the General is a nicer saw. I like my home fence better than the biesmier style but the General just a nicer saw. The way it locks, the motor, and the overall feel is higher quality.

Comment

Unless you can point to an outright deficiency in the King I'd say you are wasting your time and money moving to a saw from a vendor that is no longer with us. Touchy feely stuff is not really a serious part of the argument. If General was still in business I wouldn't say it quite so strongly but the overall recommendation would be the same.

billh

Comment

Lots to consider. Thanks all for the opinions. Much appreciated. On one hand, my King is here, paid for, no issues, etc. on the other hand I definitely donít love it. This decision feels akin to trading my old snowblower for a Honda. The old one did the job perfectly well but the Honda is actually enjoyable to use. The King is a nice saw but not one Iíd think people will be raving about online in 10 or 20 years.

That said, the point about saving for a Lexus wasnít lost on me either. A slider or a SawStop is in my eventual future. So maybe Iíll hang tight for now.

Will report back back with a decision when Iíve reached it!
            I was in a similar situation. I had a saw that was working fine but I wanted to upgrade. I looked for a General for a long time but they seemed to be so expensive to me. I would rather not get into the "you get what you pay for debate". Than I really started to evaluate the reasons why I wanted a new table saw and realized the replacement cabinet saw will not get me where I really was aiming for. The features I really wanted would be coming from a slider. My slider will crosscut 4 feet with ease, cuts dados with a standard dado set, has a scoring blade, I can straight line rip the first edge on rough boards up to 5 feet using the slider, has a Unifence style fence - I really like this style of fence and if I have to rip an 8 ft long sheet the sliding table will still give more support than a cabinet saw.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

What you are considering is not an upgrade.
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

Originally posted by ezermester View Post

I was in a similar situation. I had a saw that was working fine but I wanted to upgrade. I looked for a General for a long time but they seemed to be so expensive to me. I would rather not get into the "you get what you pay for debate". Than I really started to evaluate the reasons why I wanted a new table saw and realized the replacement cabinet saw will not get me where I really was aiming for. The features I really wanted would be coming from a slider. My slider will crosscut 4 feet with ease, cuts dados with a standard dado set, has a scoring blade, I can straight line rip the first edge on rough boards up to 5 feet using the slider, has a Unifence style fence - I really like this style of fence and if I have to rip an 8 ft long sheet the sliding table will still give more support than a cabinet saw.

Good luck with your search.
                sounds like you are enjoying your Lexus,you have quantified the point I was trying to make.i also have a slider,mine is part of a four in one felder combo. The internet is so full of b.s. Posts about euro machines,a euro slider is not just a sheet goods machine,it does a excellent job on sheet goods,yes,it also excels on solid wood.a slider or combo is a step in a different direction,a cabinet saw to a cabinet saw is just that,trading one apple for anouther,hoping there's no worm hidden inside

Comment

I have slightly mischaracterized what I'm up to I think. I'm not exactly "trading" my King for a General, but rather buying the General for the same or less than I could sell the King for.

By way of update, I looked at and bought the saw yesterday and got a very good deal, judging from what's on Kijiji and other places at the moment. My plan is to get it home and see if the differences are enough to make me keep it and sell the King. A two table saw shop would be nice, but my 11x15 shop definitely doesn't have room for that. Will definitely update with details when it lands here.

---------------------

To address some of the other points ó I almost pulled the trigger on a $7,000 Hammer slider a few years ago. When i woke up one morning and realized I was spending $7,000 on a saw, I snapped out of it. I will do it one day, but I should probably wait until my kids are at least out of daycare =)

Last, on the touchy-feely stuff. In my brief time with the 650 yesterday, everything did indeed feel "better" on it. Everything felt more solid, heavy, precise. All 100% feeling for sure, but that's how it felt. I'll see if that holds true when I've got both in my shop and I can directly compare.

I'm definitely not moving to a Lexus here, but there's still lots of touchy-feely differences between brands. I get out of my brother's brand new Ford SUV and think I'd take my 10 year old Subaru Outback any day of the week. Everything about my car feels better, except the odometer.

Finally, being relatively new, I've never owned any General equipment before. I've got my dad's old CII jointer and planer, replaced his old Delta contractor saw (a lovely machine itself, if not for no riving knife). By the end of this experiment, I should be no money out either way, and I'll have gotten this curiosity out of my system.

nnieman likes this.

Comment

Al- out of curiosity, what machine do you have? Do you find the changeover between functions to be painful?

Comment

Al- out of curiosity, what machine do you have? Do you find the changeover between functions to be painful?
                      I have a felder cf531 that I found a great deal on used. Switch over is not a big deal at all,prob quicker than shuffling machines like I once had to do.
                      having said that,combo's are not for everyone,in fact machines in our hobby seam to be a very individual choice.
                      hope your "trade" experiment helps you define in your mind what it is that suits you best.

Comment

I have slightly mischaracterized what I'm up to I think. I'm not exactly "trading" my King for a General, but rather buying the General for the same or less than I could sell the King for.

By way of update, I looked at and bought the saw yesterday and got a very good deal, judging from what's on Kijiji and other places at the moment. My plan is to get it home and see if the differences are enough to make me keep it and sell the King. A two table saw shop would be nice, but my 11x15 shop definitely doesn't have room for that. Will definitely update with details when it lands here.

---------------------

To address some of the other points ó I almost pulled the trigger on a $7,000 Hammer slider a few years ago. When i woke up one morning and realized I was spending $7,000 on a saw, I snapped out of it. I will do it one day, but I should probably wait until my kids are at least out of daycare =)

Last, on the touchy-feely stuff. In my brief time with the 650 yesterday, everything did indeed feel "better" on it. Everything felt more solid, heavy, precise. All 100% feeling for sure, but that's how it felt. I'll see if that holds true when I've got both in my shop and I can directly compare.

I'm definitely not moving to a Lexus here, but there's still lots of touchy-feely differences between brands. I get out of my brother's brand new Ford SUV and think I'd take my 10 year old Subaru Outback any day of the week. Everything about my car feels better, except the odometer.

Finally, being relatively new, I've never owned any General equipment before. I've got my dad's old CII jointer and planer, replaced his old Delta contractor saw (a lovely machine itself, if not for no riving knife). By the end of this experiment, I should be no money out either way, and I'll have gotten this curiosity out of my system.

Sounds like you made out really good.

I did look at Hammer sliders about a year ago. At the time what was quoted for a Hammer machine for a bit more I could have gotten a Felder. Go figure. There are other brands that work well too.

Enjoy your new machine.

Comment

Hi all!

Brief update for the interested here. Got the 650 home last week and setup next to my King (not much room in the shop now!), and the comparison was tough. In the end, I decided that my King is indeed no slouch and is an equal to the 650 in lots of ways. That the King is still in production and has parts readily available was the kicker ( as several have noted here ).

So I get the saw setup and have my decision made when I get a text from my dad: don't sell the saw if you don't want it.

My dad had a small furniture business 25+ years ago ó that's where my jointer and planer are from ó and he had a direct drive Delta contractor saw that I've asked a bunch of questions about in the past years. I used that for a few years before getting my King. Turns out dad wanted to outfit the shop with some General gear way back then but couldn't afford it starting out.

So in short, BillH was right ó I was wasting my time and money (mostly time) in this pursuit, but now I'm definitely glad I did.

Appreciate the opinions all!

iamtooler and nnieman like this.

Comment

So you had some fun,learned a thing or two,reinstated you fath in your king,and your father gets a real upgrade from the direct drive saw.
                            doesnt sound like a waste of time

Comment

Working...
                            X