General 350 lift mechanism stiffness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General 350 lift mechanism stiffness

Hi all. New to the forum. Just picked up a general 350 (late 70s, I think). The saw is in pretty good shape but needs a little TLC. One issue is the lift/lower mechanism. It's VERY stiff. I budged it just to see but won't keep doing so lest I damage something.
    i don't think the issue is built up gunk as the worm gear and cogs look pretty clean. I think it has something to do with the locking knob in the centre of the wheel. I took it all the way out and the threading on the first cm or so is stripped. When I went to put it back in all the way (to 'lock' position ) I noticed it does not thread in entirely.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.
    Here is a pic of my new beauty.
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: General 350 lift mechanism stiffness

I would go ahead and clean and lubricate the lift mechanism using a dry lube that won't accumulate saw dust. Can't see how it could be the lock knob if the stripped threads prevent you from threading it in all the way. Nice saw by the way.

Comment

Thanks Doug. I am gearing up for a thorough tear down/cleanup once the weather is a little nicer, so I will definitely get around to the cleaning. I just figured I'd ask in case others have had similar issues. If it's something bigger, it'd be nice to know now and get a head start on hunting down/making parts so I am ready for spring cleaning. The last owner clearly didn't abuse this saw, but he didn't baby it either. The belts are hanging on by a thread so I am curious to see what other surprises I'll find

Comment

To be clear, I don't have that saw (wish I did) but it sounds like the locking mechanism is the same as my Rockwell Beaver and probably most other saws. Hopefully someone with that saw can comment whether there is another possible cause for your issue.

Comment

did you score that 450.00 great deal

Comment

if the locking mech is thw same as the Rockwell/Delta unisaws, there would be 2 brass "nubs" that the threaded locking pin wedge OUT to lock the raise/lower & tilt wheels in place.

one saw I worked on, those brass nubs were well worn from users not fully unlocking it before adjusting.

may be worth inspecting (requires disassembly) to see if those locking nubs are causing this issue.
            [insert something witty here]

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks, beakie. I took a look at the schematic for the mechanism and it looks like that's how things work on the general, too. I will have to get it apart and take a closer look.

Comment

Originally posted by stanzela View Post
                Thanks, beakie. I took a look at the schematic for the mechanism and it looks like that's how things work on the general, too. I will have to get it apart and take a closer look.
                you're welcome, good luck with the inspection
                [insert something witty here]

Comment

Working...
                X