Fence and Rails to get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence and Rails to get

Picked up a used table saw - 12" (table 30x48) with no railings or fence. Opinions on rails and fence? I kinda like both Incra and Vega. Since I saved so much on the saw I can put it towards a good fence system.

Thanx
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Fence and Rails to get

This is the one I have but you'll have to take a trip south of the border and pick it up from Home Depot,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Po...-205803795-_-N

Comment

My first choice would be to try and find a used unifence,that may be imposiable. After that,a Bessie clone from King or busy bee,etc.
      i don't think the incra is worth the cost,it simply takes up too much space

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
        My first choice would be to try and find a used unifence,that may be imposiable. After that,a Bessie clone from King or busy bee,etc.
        i don't think the incra is worth the cost,it simply takes up too much space
        It takes a bit of patience but a Unifence can be had. Not sure of availability on the left coast. Agreed on the King or BB options; both good choices.
        The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Check out your local tool supply stores. Busy Bee, Cdn woodworker, KMS. Don't buy complicated.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

A Bies clone is simple, strong & works well. But look before you buy cause some are definitely better than others in build quality & functionality. I've heard lots of good about the VSCT fence, which is basically a jumped up Bies.

About the last fence I'd consider is the Incra. I don't think the cost is out of line, but it renders the space to the right of the fence useless. I use that area every time I use the table saw.

Comment

My favorite table saw fence is the Excalibur.
              I don't think Ive paid more than $250 for a used one.

A unifence is also a great choice, lots of guys love that one.

The bessy clones/knockoffs at busy bee aren't bad either.

Whats drawing you to the incra?

It looks complicated and expensive to me

Nathan

Comment

I liked the idea of locking down to the exact place each time so even if my eyes were a bit off (fuzzy say) it would hit 1/32 marks each time. No need to bump a measure either and a repeat cut is exactly the same each time. You don't need to measure from the saw blade to fence each time. All of that sounds appealing as I've dealt with all of that many times over. People who bought the system seem to really like it, but yes everyone mentions that it takes space for the fence support sticking out and you can't easily pull off the fence to use the table as a table.

Nobody made comment about the Vega system. Easy install, well received and works like the bessy system but has an additional micro adjust which would be a bit more reliable than the bump method.

An alternative would be to get the Wixey digital fence for accuracy but would still need to bump but no repeat measures between fence and blade as you bump.

Or yes just keep it simple and cheap. Given the savings on the saw I'm OK to get a good fence system.

Building my own rails sounds fun but the videos showed he had a few tools I don't have - that tap and die setup is pretty sweet.

Comment

The cost of a Wixey will likely be less than the premium you'll pay for the Incra, without having to put up with the complexity & lost space. I have the Wixey readout & it's ridiculously accurate & repeatable. Bumping is no harder than turning a micro-adjust wheel.
                  smallerstick and nnieman like this.

Comment

Most guys who use micro adjust fences cut multiple pieces of stock repeatedly and then take the perfectly matched parts off their saw and walk over to a planer or jointer and resize them randomly or sand them to a totally different size. At least it's amusing to guys like me who get by bumping things. LOL
                    al.m.. likes this.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Most guys who use micro adjust fences cut multiple pieces of stock repeatedly and then take the perfectly matched parts off their saw and walk over to a planer or jointer and resize them randomly or sand them to a totally different size. At least it's amusing to guys like me who get by bumping things. LOL
                      You said it
                      incra makes some nice products,no doubt,but I would rather spend on there miter guage,or even there router fence( although it's over kill for most things,except joinery,then it shines)
                      Last edited by al.m..; 02-13-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Thanx for the input. Still no comments on the Vega Pro system? I guess no one has tried it?

Comment

Check this out. He's been on youtube for some time and has started a tool company. Extrusion is a neat idea for a fence...not really needed but helpful. Looks like you can supply your own angle and beam allowing you to make the exact length you want...but you'd have to buy a tap and die set...not a bad thing to have....lol
                          Sorry never heard of the vegas system until I read this post...looks good too.
                          https://vsctools.com/
                          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by thewwkayaker View Post
                            Thanx for the input. Still no comments on the Vega Pro system? I guess no one has tried it?
                            It was never a big seller in Canada, pretty much dominantly by the top three. I would go simple, there is a reason the T square/Bessy fence is so popular, fast to remove, easy to install and adjust and immune to a layer of sawdust. If you want repeatability make a story stick with a blade notch in it. Then go back set the fence and check your parts against it.
                            sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

I assume the big three were Bessy, Bessy clone 1, Bessy clone 2?

As someone pointed out - unless you are doing joinery a strong fence will do. Cabinets don't need to be exact, esp since they are now made from plywood or MDF.

Thanx everyone for your opinions.

Comment

Working...
                              X