Older Rockwell jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Rockwell jointer

Purchased an older 6” Rockwell deluxe jointer, and upon doing a complete clean and service I encountered a stripped knife lock bar where one hole was stripped out and one hole was cross threaded. The bar only had 3 of the necessary 4 bolts as well. Where can one get parts for these. I found the original part numbers, NJ254 for the bar andJ23 for the screws, but unsure if they are of any use or can be crossed with other manufacturers.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Older Rockwell jointer

Is it possible to drill and tap to a slightly larger size?
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Possibly, but the bolts are an unusual type from what I see. Thin head as well to fit in the allowed space. Couldn’t get a standard 5/16 wrench in there. Had to grind it down significantly to fit. Even if I was able to retap the holes, still require the bolts. Unless I’m overthinking it.

Comment

try ford machinery in toronto, busy bee may have something that will work too
        you can rethread to a larger size, even metric if you have to
        then get a bolt to fit, grind the head to suit etc etc
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by Megavolts View Post
          Possibly, but the bolts are an unusual type from what I see. Thin head as well to fit in the allowed space. Couldn’t get a standard 5/16 wrench in there. Had to grind it down significantly to fit. Even if I was able to retap the holes, still require the bolts. Unless I’m overthinking it.
          Go to a fastener supply and get the appropriate Pan head allen bolt to fit. They are low profile and can be had in harder grades. I did that for my Delta 13" 2 speed. . 22-580 I think.
          Sorry I was thinking planer -- for the jointer --yes you have to grind down a regular wrench to fit. Buy good grade bolts to replace yours.

Comment

Working...
          X