Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell Beaver 3300 bandsaw

HI everyone.

Someone is selling an old Rockwell Beaver 3300 bandsaw in rather good shape near me for 250$. Is this worth it or not? I have never seen one nor seen it working to know if this is a good bandsaw for the price. Please let me know, thank you!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rockwell Beaver 3300 bandsaw

If it's in "rather good shape" then I think the price is right. Whether that saw will do what you want is another question. I rebuilt and sold one a few years ago for $300 and sometimes I regret letting it go but I bought a bigger one for much more money. Now I wish I had an even bigger one. My suggestion would be to examine it carefully and at the same time think about what you want it to do. Good luck.
    I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
    Bob
    Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

i had one for several years and rebuilt/sold 5 more. nice saw.
      like bob, i sold mine in favour of a bigger and much older saw

a machine of that age may need new bearings, but they are easy to find and easy to replace.

guide assemblies are the biggest issue, not because of design flaws, but if removed and dropped, they will break and are irreplaceble. just make sure they are complete and functioning. there are two small bearings that are thrust bearings in the guides behind the blade. they are easily replaced if needed.

good luck, somedays i wish i had kept mine!
      my shop is a beaver lodge
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I have the 2300 and the 3300 along with 4 more, but I bought a big Walker Turner last year and this is my main saw but used the 2300 and 3300 all the time
        Jacques Click image for larger version

Name:	walker turner bandsaw done.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	1228540

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmezz View Post
          If it's in "rather good shape" then I think the price is right. Whether that saw will do what you want is another question. I rebuilt and sold one a few years ago for $300 and sometimes I regret letting it go but I bought a bigger one for much more money. Now I wish I had an even bigger one. My suggestion would be to examine it carefully and at the same time think about what you want it to do. Good luck.
          Thanks a lot for all the great inputs!

Originally posted by stevem View Post
          i had one for several years and rebuilt/sold 5 more. nice saw.
          like bob, i sold mine in favour of a bigger and much older saw

a machine of that age may need new bearings, but they are easy to find and easy to replace.

guide assemblies are the biggest issue, not because of design flaws, but if removed and dropped, they will break and are irreplaceble. just make sure they are complete and functioning. there are two small bearings that are thrust bearings in the guides behind the blade. they are easily replaced if needed.

good luck, somedays i wish i had kept mine!
          Ok i will check! Here's a few picture, the guide seems alright but i'd have to see it in person to see if it is still straight and works fine.
          Thanks alot for your help!

​​​
          Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
          I have the 2300 and the 3300 along with 4 more, but I bought a big Walker Turner last year and this is my main saw but used the 2300 and 3300 all the time
          Jacques Click image for larger version  Name:	walker turner bandsaw done.jpg Views:	4 Size:	384.9 KB ID:	1228540
          Wow very nice saw Jacques!

Let me know what you think of the condition guys. It seemed pretty good for the age but i wasn't sure. For those of you that had on of these, what are the size of this saw approximately? (height, width, and weight?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LordPM; 03-13-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Here's a link to the manual for the 3300. Should answer your questions.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=17476
            I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
            Bob
            Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

I have had 3 of them and love them all. Only reason I got rid of the last one was that a pristine Powermatic 143 was nearby REAL CHEAP and it has a 2 speed transmission.
              Your pictures show it with the original fence....rare beast. A definite plus. Blades can be odered from R & D Bandsaw. Bob also has the "cool blocks" for the guides but they are NOT shown in the catalog!!
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post
                I have had 3 of them and love them all. Only reason I got rid of the last one was that a pristine Powermatic 143 was nearby REAL CHEAP and it has a 2 speed transmission.
                Your pictures show it with the original fence....rare beast. A definite plus. Blades can be odered from R & D Bandsaw. Bob also has the "cool blocks" for the guides but they are NOT shown in the catalog!!
                Mike
                Ok! Thank you!
                You guys think this is strong enough to work through 2 to 3 inches maple? The guy told me it was the original 1/2 HP motor?? Sounds low compared to other 14'' i'Ve seen no? I don't know anything about bandsaws... that.s why i ask... haha.

Thank you again everyone.

Comment

...the issue of horsepower was discussed in a few recent threads. Bottom line: do not assume that a « new » saw with a motor described as 1 or 1.5 hp will automatically be delivering more power (in this case more ability to saw) than a good quality older motor.

Others will likely pitch in on this issue.

Otherwise, it looks like what you have found is a good product. As already mentioned, the real question is whether it will allow you to do what you plan to do. Personally, I would be surprised if it did not, as long as you do not try tension a 1 inch carbide blade.

Many people have used similar saws for many years and have produced top quality products.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
                    ...the issue of horsepower was discussed in a few recent threads. Bottom line: do not assume that a « new » saw with a motor described as 1 or 1.5 hp will automatically be delivering more power (in this case more ability to saw) than a good quality older motor.

Others will likely pitch in on this issue.

Otherwise, it looks like what you have found is a good product. As already mentioned, the real question is whether it will allow you to do what you plan to do. Personally, I would be surprised if it did not, as long as you do not try tension a 1 inch carbide blade.

Many people have used similar saws for many years and have produced top quality products.
                    Ok thanks! Pretty much only cutting maximum of 2'' maples and oak or some other similar hardness woods. As for blades, i wouldn't even know which one i'd need. This will be my first bandsaw. I've always made due with a tablesaw and other tools... and sometimes it wasn't too safe so i decided to try and find myself a non expansive bandsaw for my first to see how i like it and get used to it. What kind of blades would be good to cut maples and oak to a maximum of 2'' thickness? I know the guy said he was selling it with two blades so it might not be necessary to buy one for now but it should be in the future.

Thanks Jacques.

Comment

My suggestion would be to try the blades that come with the saw. Assuming they are in good shape you will be able practice some operations and get a « feel » for the saw. Many places sell blades; not sure if this saw uses common sizes (length).If not you will order them based on the length dictated by your saw.

Many woodworkers use blades 1/2 inch wide with 3 teeth (tooth?) per inch for ripping. Finer cuts will be achieved with 6, 10 or even 14 tpi, but these would not work well for resawing (unless working with very narrow pieces that would get chewed up by a coarse blade), as there is a need to evacuate the sawdust from the gullets for the blade to work properly.

A common rule of thumb is that there should be at least three teeth in the wood when cutting. This gives you a perspective on which blade to use. That being said, one also has to keep in mind that power required to move the blade through the wood increases with the number of teeth « working ». Hence my initial point about trying what comes with the saw and learn from that.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with the acquisition of a new toy!

Salut,

J.

Comment

2 or 3 inch maple will be no problem with any good 15 inch saw, i cut 6 inch on my 12 inch beaver with a 1/2 hp motor. older motors do not have exagerated horsepower ratings of the new stuff. my little saw has a 1940's leland powering it. i use it primarily for cutting 4 to 5 inch thick bowl blanks
                        my "big" saw, is a crescent 20 inch with a 1930's 1 hp delta motor but an old 1/2 hp would be plenty

that saw looks great, even has the old beaver lever lock fence, a very rare option

but like i said earlier, be prepared to do the bearings, 60 or 70 year old sealed bearings are not the best, the grease is likely well past its prime. i cant remember the bearing number, but all 4 wheel bearings are the same and the little ones behind the blade are also easy to find and replace

the main frame/body is a one piece aluminum casting, quite a feat in the mid forties! your saw, if it says rockwell on it somewhere, will be mid fifties to early sixties. that saw appears in a 1964 catalog from beaver/rockwell Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (12).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1228679
                        my shop is a beaver lodge
                        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                          2 or 3 inch maple will be no problem with any good 15 inch saw, i cut 6 inch on my 12 inch beaver with a 1/2 hp motor. older motors do not have exagerated horsepower ratings of the new stuff. my little saw has a 1940's leland powering it. i use it primarily for cutting 4 to 5 inch thick bowl blanks
                          my "big" saw, is a crescent 20 inch with a 1930's 1 hp delta motor but an old 1/2 hp would be plenty

that saw looks great, even has the old beaver lever lock fence, a very rare option

but like i said earlier, be prepared to do the bearings, 60 or 70 year old sealed bearings are not the best, the grease is likely well past its prime. i cant remember the bearing number, but all 4 wheel bearings are the same and the little ones behind the blade are also easy to find and replace

the main frame/body is a one piece aluminum casting, quite a feat in the mid forties! your saw, if it says rockwell on it somewhere, will be mid fifties to early sixties. that saw appears in a 1964 catalog from beaver/rockwell Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (12).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1228679
                          Thanks Steve for all the great informations!

I take it at 250$ is a good buy if it runs smoothly?

Comment

Nice post Steve!

Comment

It may ever have the Beaver cast iron legs, an added bonus! If you move too slowly, it may be gone!
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	CDE90B5E-3C1E-4168-84AB-67BFD84A0B5A.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1228727

Comment

Working...
                              X