Edge Sander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Sander

Looking to buy an edge sander, any advice on what to look for? thinking of an 6x89 laguna
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Edge Sander

Progress edge sanders are well made. They where made in Canada and come up used for reasonable money.
    gojaysgo2013 likes this.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

I just picked up an older busy bee 6 x 80

Seems to work just fine.

Doesn't oscillate.

Nathan

Comment

progress 6 x 108

Comment

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/m...ationFlag=true asking $1300 in Concord. I have one, fantastic edge sander. Big base, does not move around when using it. 6x108 belt readily available. I run 80 grit.
          sigpic
          hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Thanks for the input, I’ll keep my eyes open for a progress sander closer to London, hopefully one that runs on single phase.

Comment

Most Progress belts do not oscillate but will take any motor.

Comment

or if you feel motivated you could build your own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3y8lRwXQsg

plans here
                https://www.etsy.com/listing/4551001..._home_active_9

Comment

I think my 4-foot model Progress was converted to 1.5 hp single phase sometime in its life. I drove 2.5 hrs to Meaford to pick it up from a lady artist that had a studio in an attached converted garage. Glad I took some help as we had to get it out through a single side door, across the lawn, and onto my utility trailer. The base is made from 1/4" steel, so much different than the Asian made sanders. The wide heavy base helps keep the sander planted when you apply pressure when sanding. The last thing you want is your sander tilting away from you as you sand. A lot of the Asian made sanders are top heavy and too narrow a base. On Kijiji search - Ontario, tools, sander and by highest price, several Progress models show up for sale from approx $900-$2000. Some are 6x158 (5 foot)models, great for longer workpieces. My Progress is the 4th sander I have owned, having had a Craftsman small disc/belt and 6x80 and 6x89 Busy Bee belt sanders.
                  sigpic

Comment

Anything in particular i should know about putting a single phase motor on it? Where would i get one, what rpm should the motor be etc...

Comment

Heres my motor tag, it's a 2 hp. totally enclosed 1740 rpm, 7/8 shaft. I have it wired to 230 volts with a start/stop magnetic switch. You can check with an electric motor sales shop, 3 listed in London.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_20190417_090017073-001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1233757
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X