Jigsaw upgrade, for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigsaw upgrade, for me

I recently purchased a Bosch JS470EB, to replace my old Mastercraft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	js572ebk.jpg Views:	1 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	1233843
    Bosch JS470EB 7-Amp Barrel-Grip Jigsaw https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004323NQ4/..._7xfUCb79ZFT5A

WOW!

I don't use a jigsaw frequently, in part because I just don't need one often, but also because I hated using the one I had.

So when I saw the Bosch on sale 2 weeks ago I decided to upgrade, and am very glad I did.

I know there are better saws out there, and I'm sure even Mastercraft have improved theirs in the 12+ years since I bought mine. Maybe it's the design (barrel grip vs handle on top) or the power (7amp vs 4.2amp?) but I can now imagine myself reaching for the jigsaw for tasks that I used to cringe at using my old one for.

I could not get the old one to make a straight 90° cut in solid wood, and even ply thicker than 1/4" would give the old saw problems. This new saw is faster, stronger, cuts cleaner and has a handy 'blower" option to clear debris from the cut line. The orbital feature is new to me (not exactly sure when/why to use it?), the blade change is really good, and after reading the manual I found the speed control.

For anyone like me, hobby user who sometimes does work for friends/family, it's sometimes hard to justify "better" tools. But this upgrade has been worth every penny, and makes me wish I had bit the bullet when I bought the Mastercraft... though I admit I didn't know what a "quality" jigsaw was, or capable of back then.
    TwoBirds and nnieman like this.
    [insert something witty here]
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Jigsaw upgrade, for me

Good choice, definitely one of the higher rated models out there. If you do any amount of coping, you will be pleased to know that it is also the preferred tool for use with the Collins coping foot.
    The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

It's a nice saw Tom.

I disagree with the statement that it's hard to justify better tools when you're a hobby user. Sometime we're the people who need all the help we can get.........Regards, Rod.
      beachburl likes this.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

nice saw, I've been looking at that model and trying to decide if I'd like the barrel grip, it does look a lot more stable.

Originally posted by beakie View Post

For anyone like me, hobby user who sometimes does work for friends/family, it's sometimes hard to justify "better" tools. But this upgrade has been worth every penny, and makes me wish I had bit the bullet when I bought the Mastercraft... though I admit I didn't know what a "quality" jigsaw was, or capable of back then.
        I used to believe that, until I realized how much time, wood, and frustration cheap tools were costing me, after that it's hard to justify buying cheap tools with wood prices going up and up, and if one watches the sales decent tools aren't all that much more than bargain brands.

Since I started buying decent quality tools I get a lot more done, and I enjoy woodworking a lot more, I also swear more when I hit a nail

2b

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
          It's a nice saw Tom.

I disagree with the statement that it's hard to justify better tools when you're a hobby user. Sometime we're the people who need all the help we can get.........Regards, Rod.
          well it is easier now having used quality tools, but back in the day when I needed a tool for specific job, I often bought cheap.

I actually remember why I bought it now, I was building a "custom" speaker box to fit in my old Jeep.

Nowadays I can certainly justify going for the "better" tools, but I really couldn't believe just how much better this saw is... or how bad the old one was.

I had thought of handing it down to my BIL, but then he would suffer the same headaches I did trying to use it.

Comment

I was in a very similar situation to you, Tom, in that I had an old mastercraft that I rarely reached for - and reached with dread when I did - because of how bad it worked, especially keeping a cut at 90*.

So recently I too upgraded to a Bosch, a model similar to yours.

I was excited to get it out of the box, and installed one of the snazzy new Bosch blades I'd ordered as well and got to doing some test cuts.

I did some curves and cuts in 2"+ hard maple. As expected, the Bosch did a perfect job, with very little vibration, easy to use and control, followed the line well, very little burning, an all around good cut. Most importantly it was 90*. I was very pleased with my purchase, and declared the investment justified.

Then I thought about posting some test cuts here, so I grabbed the old mastercraft and did the exact same cuts. I used the same Bosch blade though, just to make the test fair. To my shock, my old mastercraft suddenly did a real decent job! It had more vibration, mind you, and more burning, but it followed the line and for the first time since I bought it years ago it cut a true 90*!

Astonished, I swapped out the nice Bosch blade for one of the cheapie mastercraft bulk pack blades I normally used, and then the old mastercraft was back to its old ways. Tried the Bosch blade again - back to fine!

The Bosch is still a much better saw, so I'm glad I bought it, but what that test did demonstrate for me was the importance of using a good quality blade with it, and how even a mediocre saw can cut pretty good with a good blade. I gave the mastercraft away, and told the recipient to buy some nice Bosch blades for it.
            beachburl likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	js572ebk.jpg Views:	1 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	1233843
              Bosch JS470EB 7-Amp Barrel-Grip Jigsaw https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004323NQ4/..._7xfUCb79ZFT5A

WOW!

I don't use a jigsaw frequently, in part because I just don't need one often, but also because I hated using the one I had.

So when I saw the Bosch on sale 2 weeks ago I decided to upgrade, and am very glad I did.

I know there are better saws out there, and I'm sure even Mastercraft have improved theirs in the 12+ years since I bought mine. Maybe it's the design (barrel grip vs handle on top) or the power (7amp vs 4.2amp?) but I can now imagine myself reaching for the jigsaw for tasks that I used to cringe at using my old one for.

I could not get the old one to make a straight 90° cut in solid wood, and even ply thicker than 1/4" would give the old saw problems. This new saw is faster, stronger, cuts cleaner and has a handy 'blower" option to clear debris from the cut line. The orbital feature is new to me (not exactly sure when/why to use it?), the blade change is really good, and after reading the manual I found the speed control.

Congrats Tom --Now -- if you want even cleaner cuts -- try some Makita blades in there. I find they cut cleaner than most of the Bosch. Try the downcut blade on veneers and laminate.
              John@Hamilton likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                It's a nice saw Tom.

Buy once; cry once.
                The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Congrats Tom --Now -- if you want even cleaner cuts -- try some Makita blades in there. I find they cut cleaner than most of the Bosch. Try the downcut blade on veneers and laminate.
                  well this is good info, BUT it would have been better to have the day I bought the saw... as I grabbed a small set of Bosch blades.

thank you for the top tip, these blades are a huge improvement over my old Mastercrafts (like Ryan mentioned, though I haven't ran new blades in old saw yet)

if/when I need new blades, I'll be sure to look for the Makita's.
                  Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

I used my air miles to get a basic Bosch jigsaw a couple years ago,although a basic model,light years beyond my old mastercraft

Comment

Thanks for the post, wally, next time I'm shopping I'm going to try out the Makita blades.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to give them a try. I have been using Bosch blades because I got a bunch (like Tom) when I bought my 1587 Bosch jigsaw (which I love), and they've been better than anything else I had tried up to then. Next time I'll try the Makitas.

cheers

Comment

I had the same epiphany when I got my bosch years ago, all I remember is the crappy B&D my dad had and how awful it was to use. When I bought mine, I'm pretty sure it either came with a stack of blades or came with a mail in offer for the stack of blades, I'm still working through those. As Wally mentions, if your show surface is on the top, try a downcut blade to minimize chipping on that surface, but go slow with them, I found that they can sometimes cause the saw to climb out of the cut (an upcut blade pulls the foot against the wood, a downcut does not).

As for the orbital setting, I use it when I am cutting aggressively (like last night when I was cutting a 2x4 for framing out some gyproc near the rafters in my garage). Don't use it when doing fine work or if cutting with a metal blade.
                          Wally in Calgary likes this.
                          Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

Originally posted by John in Calgary View Post
                            I had the same epiphany when I got my bosch years ago, all I remember is the crappy B&D my dad had and how awful it was to use. When I bought mine, I'm pretty sure it either came with a stack of blades or came with a mail in offer for the stack of blades, I'm still working through those. As Wally mentions, if your show surface is on the top, try a downcut blade to minimize chipping on that surface, but go slow with them, I found that they can sometimes cause the saw to climb out of the cut (an upcut blade pulls the foot against the wood, a downcut does not).

As for the orbital setting, I use it when I am cutting aggressively (like last night when I was cutting a 2x4 for framing out some gyproc near the rafters in my garage). Don't use it when doing fine work or if cutting with a metal blade.
                            good to know re;orbital setting.

I think I'll just leave it in OFF position, unless specifically needed.

thanks

Comment

Nice, a quality tool is always nice to have. I don't have a jig saw but when I get one I will probably consider that one (or vintage from kijiji).

Like others said quality blades are the most important. A Ferrari with old winter tires would probably lose the race to a pinto with slicks.

Haven't tried the Makita blades, but I've always enjoyed the Freud Diablo blades. I use them in my sawsall for metal, if they snag and bend I can bend them back and continue. Has anyone here tried both? My cheap blade go to are the dewalt ones when they go on sale at Canadian tire.

Comment

Working...
                              X