Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Value of General 490 bandsaw in good working order?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of General 490 bandsaw in good working order?

Hi folks, new on the site and getting my home shop set up. I have a chance to take a look at one of these this weekend... let’s just say it will be in good shape. Any thoughts on what the value should be? What are the usual parts needed for fixes.. tires, blade and guide? Are parts not too bad to find?

Like anyone I guess I like a deal deal but also am willing to put out for a newer / better one too as opposed to adding something to a woodworking museum and then have to buy again anyway.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Value of General 490 bandsaw in good working order?

I have had a couple of those that I have sold. They are bullet proof. As long as there are no broken castings there is not much to worry about. Rotate the wheels to see that they are not warped. What is he asking.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Thanks Brian. Don't know what he is asking, but I will find out when I get there on the weekend for other business.

Comment

Like many here, I've owned a 490; it's completely bulletproof and precise. But its resawing capacity is 6" and because it's got 15" wheels, a ripping capacity of about 14 1/2". Before you go over there, figure out if 6" resawing capacity is going to be too limiting for you. In most cases, that'll be enough... but it all depends on what sort of woodworking we're doing. If it's in good working order (no casting cracks anywhere, including the frame, base assembly and of course the table, the rubber on the wheels isn't cracked and brittle, it still has the upper blade guard in place and fully functioning as well as the mitre gauge and fence) then I'd suggest that a fair market price is $550. Mine had an afermarket upper and lower guide system by Carter (adds another $150 of value bit costs $250). There are also aftermarket fences such as the one by Kreg, which if it has, then it's worth perhaps an extra $50. And another aftermarket feature that's popular is a mobile base; they can be picked up for $75 just about anywhere.

I'd suggest you first ask him what he wants for it. Bring $600 with you: 4X$100 and the rest in $20s. Your starting point will depend on the answers of the above points I've raised plus of course what he's asking for it. I've see 490s in good condition go for $250.

Good luck!
        All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

When I bought my 590 I looked it up and the list price was 3700 dollars. This is not a 14'' delta.
          Rob

Comment

If I see a 490 for $250 I would buy it for resale.

Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I'd love to upgrade to a 490. If anyone sees one in good shape around here, please let me know!

Comment

One thing I should have mentioned is that there is also a General bandsaw model 690. It is virtually a 490 with a resawing capacity of 12"; everything else is identical. The challenge is in finding one of them for sale, as they're such an exceptional bandsaw.
                All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

depends on condition, here in Calgary they go for 300-700.

Comment

I've sold four 490's for $750, that seems to be the going rate.
                    Mind you they were all painted up nice and pretty and bandsaw tires replaced, no missing parts.
                    The cast iron table trunions are often broken (mine weren't). Many metal fab places seem to break them and weld them back together, you can easily see the weld beads. It's a shame..
                    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Comment

Working...
                    X