Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 735 with Shellix and drive belt burning up

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone here has had this same issue, and/or have some suggestions for me.

I have the dewalt 735 planer and one of my first upgrades was the shellix head. I only ran the stock one for about 2 months. I have had the shellix head in now installed in December 2018. Since then, 5 months I have burned up 2 belts.

not cool.

i dug into it this week as I have one belt left. checking alignment and anything that might be wrong. Basically, even unloaded the belt drive heats up FAST. hard to explain, so I made a video to show it.

it's unlisted, so you will need to use this link: https://youtu.be/r99TXwlMMog ( i hope my link posts )

i'll remove it and update it when i find the solution.

any suggestions or help is appreciated.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dewalt 735 with Shellix and drive belt burning up

That is not a great deal of misalignment between the 2 pulleys, so I can't imagine that it's an issue here. I didn't get any further than that in your video. It is still under warranty, so I'd give Dewalt a call to see if they can help.

Comment

I am going to try some various combinations of my spacers and test it.

Then I might put the original cutter head back in on the weekend and see what happens.

Comment

I did watch the rest of the video & I'm baffled too. I guess if putting the old head back on solves the problem then that's something. If it doesn't, I'd take it in for warranty (with the original head).

Comment

Anyone that has one of these units, shellix head or original. can you do a measurement for me to compare what mine is at.

in the first photo is showing where i made the measurement. top of the sheave, from outside to the frame.

Second photo shows my current measurement with a 0.237 spacer ( original is 0.179 ) , both cause heat up issues. current distance is 1.187 inches from the frame to outside of the pulley

Comment

The spiral head will have higher power requirements than a straight knife.

How hot is the pulley getting?

I would expect at least a 30 degree rise....Rod
            Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 05-16-2019, 08:42 AM.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

How free does the Shelix head spin with no belt on ? unplugged just by hand turning the cutter head by the pully ...

Comment

So, i spent a few days on it and came to the conclusion that the issue is the aftermarket belt in the end.

I put the stock cutter head back in.
                - used my jig to check allignment - good within 5 thousands of an inch.
                - free spin on cutter head is same as shelix.
                - test unloaded with aftermarket belt - heat up super fast to 60C within 1 min.
                start: 20C
                1 min unloaded: 60C + and climbing

Replaced belt with factory new dewalt belt.
                - heat test on stock head - unloaded
                - temp of the drive pulley reference ( while running )
                start: 22C
                1 min unloaded: 38C
                5 min unloaded: 43C

Replaced cutter head and put shelix back in ( and I chipped 2 of the cutters in the process.... damn it. but super cool that i can rotate em )
                - jig alignment test - within 10 thousands of an inch
                - temp test with dewalt belt
                start:22C
                1 min unloaded: 35C
                5 min unloaded: 45C

Ran for 30 min loaded / working. 2 inch wide strips, only taking 1/32 to 1/16 at a time.
                - no real increase in temp at the drive pulley.

I will create a summary video and how I checked it all.

In the end if was CRAPPY AFTERMARKET drive belt. don't be duped by an ad that says it's a dewalt belt with the same part number. get it from dewalt service center only.

Comment

Well, isn't that something? I never would have thought of that. Care to mention the brand so others can stay away? You might try returning it if you got it from Amazon.

Comment

That's a relief to read I am in the process of installing a shelix head right now in the same machine and was just hoping I wasn't going to be having those problems, at first glance my original belt is good so it will be going back on.

Comment

Still haven't had a chance to check the temps on mine, but I replaced the head on mine before I even used the planer so I have the original belt. Hoping I won't have an issue. Look forward to your video.

Comment

I have had this exact modification in operation for approx. 6 years troublefree....though it does have the original drive belt. Roy
                        Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
                          I have had this exact modification in operation for approx. 6 years troublefree....though it does have the original drive belt. Roy
                          Same here. Other than an increase in snipe, mine has been working great in my hobby shop. I think the Shelix head is a tad smaller diameter than the original, hence the snipe increase. It is manageable, but I do have to take serious precautions with thin (3/8" or less) workpieces or else I get a divot about 3" from the end. Not like normal snipe, but a narrow divot across the board. I use a sacrificial chaser to avoid this.
                          Cheers
                          Randy

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                            Well, isn't that something? I never would have thought of that. Care to mention the brand so others can stay away? You might try returning it if you got it from Amazon.
                            The problem that is shown here with the multi-v belt can well be the use of imperial measurement belt on metric sheaves, the ones that cost less often are the imperial measurement belts.

I have a link here about this, rather than me try to explain the problem.

https://www.machinedesign.com/mechan...andard-v-belts

Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

The problem that is shown here with the multi-v belt can well be the use of imperial measurement belt on metric sheaves, the ones that cost less often are the imperial measurement belts.

I have a link here about this, rather than me try to explain the problem.

https://www.machinedesign.com/mechan...andard-v-belts
                              That makes perfect sense. Thanks for that link.

Comment

Working...
                              X