Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone make machines built in North America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make machines built in North America?

I might come into a few extra bucks for equipment :-). I'm considering a table saw and jointer upgrade. I looked at a number of sites and thought Powermatic still made iron in North America. The PM 64B is from Asia so I assume the 1000 is too. Is there anyone left manufacturing in NA? I want new for current features like riving knifes and helical cutters plus warranty for a hobby shop. I am not interested in used iron as my interest in rehabbing such is gone now.

European was tempting till I did some price research!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Anyone make machines built in North America?

European can be different, more suited to someone in the business for production like their sliding table saws, expensive but top quality. Inca used to make some high quality home workshop level equipment, but they were bought out by a French company and I don't think they carry the full line anymore.

You have probably heard of the Sawstop table saw, highly rated and safe, also expensive. It was made in North America, haven't checked recently so don't know if it still is.
    ehender2 likes this.

Comment

I have a wide variety of equipment in my shop that I use on a daily basis building kitchens in a one man shop with help from my friends when required. I have an Italian 10 ft slider made in 2004, my newest machine. a 12 in jointer made in Taiwan close to 20 years old and works like new, I also have a 16 in jointer, made in Italy that I have not used since buying. It would not do any more than my 12 inch other than handle wider boards. I have a 37 in Italian wide belt sander, late 90s model. Paid $2500 and about $200 to get it up and running, works like a dream. If trying to buy North American thinking you are getting a better machine, I don’t think that applies anymore. I share your admiration for PowerMatic machines. We travel frequently to the US and I stop at a lot of tool stores. The PowerMatic just seem a step above the other Asian machines with the finishing detail alone. If I was starting a new shop , even as a hobbyist , Powermatic would be at the top of my list and even with the exchange rate from CDN TO USD. This forum has a lot of advocates for buy used and or rebuilding older machines. That is great if you take joy in rebuilding but as you say I like building pieces that I can have for my own home or to sell. Enough of my rambling and good luck withyour journey.

Brian
      ggwoodsmurf likes this.
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Thank you both, I was trying to remember the Inca name but confused it with Incra. Years ago a buddy had a sweet little Inca saw and something small and precision like that is desirable to me. From a faulty memory it had machined ways for the blade raising and I think it didn't pivot but it was years ago.

If I want new it is offshore in my price range I suspect.

Comment

I may be wrong but don’t think Sawstop was ever made in NA. The engineer behind the technology was a US citizen who I believe lived on West coast, I believe Oregon. Machines were made in Taiwan and As Carlos mentioned, a well made machine. Cantek machines are a house brand of Akhurst Machinery. Akhurst is a Canadian company that has been around for a long time. Cantek is a Taiwan manufactured machine for the Industrial market but a price point equal to your hobbyist machines produced by Felder but IMHO opinion a much more robust machine. Akhurst Machinery probably have a branch in Alberta

Brian

Comment

I'll start threads for each type of equipment but the criteria for purchase is a Calgary supplier and a short search of table saws indicates King, Craftex, Magnum, Laguna, and Stallion are in house brands available.

Comment

When you're dealing with machines in today's world you are going to be getting parts and pieces from all over the world no matter what machine you buy. Correct me if you think I'm wrong by all means, but make sure you thoroughly check before you speak. We went through this topic a couple of years ago and even the vaunted German/Austrian brands were only assembled from boxes of parts made in various locations and shipped to their final assembly location.

Comment

I have accepted the inevitable. My research will be about the differences or lack of difference between readily available models that I'm interested in. Casual searching indicates satisfied customers for most brands and research will be fun.

Comment

NorthField Woodworking Machinery, established in 1920 in Northfield Minnesota; beyond expensive but about the best one can buy I have read.

They have records of every machine they have made and will rebuild to specs most if not all of what they have made.

http://northfieldwoodworking.com

Comment

Perhaps a used euro slider,maybe with a tilting arbor shaper might be worth a look

Comment

When I bought my Delta unisaw and DJ20, I was excitted that they were american tools. After setting them up in my shop, I read the tags and saw that they were made in Taiwan. Those tools immediately never worked as a good as before...

hard to find anything north american made these days. And when you can, the price certainly reflects it.

Comment

We still have Oneway building the best Wood turning lathes, wood chucks and sharpening setups, and yes quality does cost $$.
                        iamtooler likes this.

Have fun and take care
                        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

My DJ 20 was made in China, discovered that on a Friday evening. Thought I would take it back on Monday. Tried it on weekend and kept it another 8 years. I get a kick out of people that complain of Asian/ Chinese crap. If it was not for the Asian countries we wouldn’t have our electronics to complain about the junk and would probably have no clothes to wear.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                            My DJ 20 was made in China, discovered that on a Friday evening. Thought I would take it back on Monday. Tried it on weekend and kept it another 8 years. I get a kick out of people that complain of Asian/ Chinese crap. If it was not for the Asian countries we wouldn’t have our electronics to complain about the junk and would probably have no clothes to wear.

Brian
                            No, we'd still have all those things, but we wouldn't put up with them going out of date /becoming obsolete so quickly and we'd look after them better. We also wouldn't have such a disposable culture. We might be better off!
                            Yeti likes this.
                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Blaming "China" for poor quality stuff as a blanket statement is not a true pursuit. Factories, any where in the world, build to the specifications and quality control the contracts stipulate. They do no more, and no less. If you order crap, you get crap. If you order better, that's what you get. If you want to put blame anywhere, put it on the name tag on the product. They ordered it to those specs, or did not quantify the quality assurance checks, or let some other area go to cut costs.
                              More stuff of mine at:
                              http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Working...
                              X