X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drzaius
    replied
    Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

I have a couple of Hammer machines, a 12" jointer/planer and a saw/shaper.

Felder are in Calgary in case you're interested.....They manufacture and sell Hammer machinery.............Rod.
    And they typically have lots of machinery on hand to look at.

Leave a comment:

• Rod Sheridan
    replied
    Originally posted by Canuck Bob View Post
    I'm researching a table saw and jointer purchase. Local dealers represent Laguna/Black Forest, Stallion/Canadian Woodworker, Magnum and King/KMS, Craftex/Busy Bee.

Do Powermatic, Grizzly and Jet have local dealers? If not how do folks buy them?

Are there any other comparable brands available locally?

Thanks Bob
    I have a couple of Hammer machines, a 12" jointer/planer and a saw/shaper.

Felder are in Calgary in case you're interested.....They manufacture and sell Hammer machinery.............Rod.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Life is always a blessing Bob. Sounds like you'll do just fine by looking ahead with a positive attitude. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Canuck Bob
    replied
    Thank you all. I think my needs will be met by the available dealers in Calgary. The money to fund this is 60 days away at least. I've been trying to finish my shop but health problems have limited my vigour. This unexpected income will allow me to get that done with some help. Life is a blessing right now.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Van Der Loo
    replied
    Originally posted by Canuck Bob View Post
    I'm researching a table saw and jointer purchase. Local dealers represent Laguna/Black Forest, Stallion/Canadian Woodworker, Magnum and King/KMS, Craftex/Busy Bee.

Do Powermatic, Grizzly and Jet have local dealers? If not how do folks buy them?

Are there any other comparable brands available locally?

Thanks Bob
    To the question of Powermatic, Grizzly and Jet question, Yes there are Canadian Powermatic retailers, Grizzley has only US outlets (his brother ?) has the Craftex outlets in Canada.

For Jet is not available in Canada for the reason there is a Jet named manufacturer already, and so they are not allowed to retail under that name.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
    I agree Rusty they most certainly are not FOOLS. Some say the Americans are at there peak and headed down the backside of the hill. Well the Asians are greasing that hill and we have been blissfully helping in the name of cheap products and big corporation profits. Oh oh this is really going sideways. Stop Carlos.
    Reality is a hard pill to swallow Carlos.

Leave a comment:

• Carlosinthesticks
    replied
    I agree Rusty they most certainly are not FOOLS. Some say the Americans are at there peak and headed down the backside of the hill. Well the Asians are greasing that hill and we have been blissfully helping in the name of cheap products and big corporation profits. Oh oh this is really going sideways. Stop Carlos.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Asia is not populated with FOOLS! They have us right where they want us. We spend countless hours worrying about our air pollution while they pour tons of it into the atmosphere and then we spend our money on the manufacture of products they make while producing that pollution. They knew by undercutting the costs of our manufacturing sector that they could take over that manufacturing and we let it happen. They don't have anyone condemning their actions in any meaningful fashion so they are allowed to abuse or misuse their workforce to their overall advantage as well. North America needs a major reform but I don't think anyone knows how to even begin.

Leave a comment:

• Carlosinthesticks
    replied
    Imo I have to agree with Bob's viewpoints on this subject. Taiwan got into the game much sooner than the mainland, and as has been common with the rest of Asian manufacturers like Japan and Korea, the sooner they get into the game the sooner there quality comes up to a level competitive with western standards. Most of the better quality manufacturers like Powermatic, Delta, General and even some Busy Bee/Grizzly machines are set up in Taiwan. Most have large quality control teams in place that monitor what gets stamped with there tags. This is not found on many mainland sources, there are different levels of quality available there now, but it is still not hard to find machines coming from the mainland with poor finish, like sand in the corners of castings that has been painted over, warped castings from poor aging of the castings, and poor metallurgical control that ends up pouring weak castings that crack prematurely or are too soft or too hard for there application.

I also have to agree (and this can raise some nasty arguments) that there is a lack of control by the Chinese ruling elite in what goes out the door, what ever can be produced and sold to those capitalists to bring western dollars into China is acceptable. They are quick to use baloney quality excuses to ban imports like Canadian agricultural products to support there political aims. But imho they are the ones who should be baned from polluting much of the planet with much of what is coming out of there borders.

Edit: I guess if I am going to make accusations I should provide proof. The two vises you may have seen on my 3 legged vise stands in a previous post were purchased from Can Tire back in the 80's. Back then Can Tire was purchasing from Taiwan, the mainland was not in the market yet. Since then the mainland has entered the market and Can Tire is doing most of there sourcing there (more profit, got to love capitalism). In the past 15 years I have purchased two 5" vises, for my benches, from Can Tire and there Chinese suppliers. You got it ,I have destroyed both of them, poor quality castings. My 80's Taiwan vises are still going strong and I abuse them all the time. Don't believe me? I have pictures.
    Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 09-15-2019, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Bob the motor specs are often lies. Plain and simple. So your task will be tough. I'm not knocking any of them by the way. I have Asian equipment that is just fine. Fit and finish will be better on same brands for sure and that combined with add on features like fences are the items that will distinguish the overall cost.

Leave a comment:

• Canuck Bob
    replied
    Rusty I agree wholeheartedly but the differences are in features and fences plus I want to look at the fit or finish. I looked at a number of online manuals for saws and found the basic 1.5 to 2 HP cabinet style had identical parts diagrams. Also every supplier lists various HP yet all supply 15A 110V (1.5 HP IMO) rated motors except KMS who supply 19A/9.5A with 220V standard, my preference. This is as much about rating local dealers as anything.

I'm operating on the assumption the chassis' are the same for my hobby rated use. After all these are the same manufacturers that cut baby formula with melamine and supplied lead painted toys to our infants. I have a hard time believing they date and sort rusty pallets of castings from multiple low bid suppliers. I'm favouring Taiwanese production if possible.

After all this the online forum reviews indicate that the asian quality control is much better now. Competition kills sub standard merchandise in the internet community world. If Sawmill likes Grizzly then it almost assures that one can expect a decent machine from anyone.

One thing does concern me. The best way to reduce costs is in the electric motors and switches. Very hard to research.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    In the world of mid range machines a vast group of them are made in the same shops in Asia. In many many cases parts are interchangeable. Searching a favourite name is a great waste of time unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    Black Forest carries Powermatic.

Leave a comment:

• Carlosinthesticks
    replied
    Grizzly only has locations in the US, Busy Bee only has locations in Canada, I often refer to one as a representative of the other. They both started at the same time in the Vancouver-Bellingham area there machines are the same just badged differently, if you include exchange rates prices are similar. The only real difference I have noticed is Grizzly carries a larger selection for there much larger US market.

If you go to the Powermatic And Jet sites and they have any dealers in Canada they should be listed there, You will often find small local establishments will be dealers for these brands, big suppliers like KMS have there own named brands Magnum in KMS's case. But if you want better quality imports, ( since they have all given up on North America) you are forgetting Delta and General International in addition to Powermatic.

Leave a comment:

• iguana
    replied
    Grizzly does not have local dealers - anywhere. Their model is e-tail. If you want to touch their equipment before you buy, you'd have to visit one of their two showrooms in Springfield, MO or Bellingham, WA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X