No announcement yet.

Discussion for options to outfit shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion for options to outfit shop?

I've been bouncing around about Asian iron in a couple of posts. I believe that my needs are met nicely by Calgary dealers and import iron.

Here was my original plan to upgrade my machines. I have a DW744 TS and a 12" Delta 22-540 lunchbox planer. My wishlist is a clone cabinet 30" rip TS and 6" Helical JTR. However, the most accepted jointer advice is go 8" and hurt once. The problem is I want helical head carbide cutter heads. This feature and new is a requirement. I hate disposable planer blades and used iron. A helix for the Delta looks like 600 bucks. Hard to imagine a Delta lunchbox with such an expensive cutter.

Folks like Al and Rod and countless others on forum searches express how much they like the J/P combos and sliding TS. I like the specs of the Scorpion 12" Combo. The number of small shop pros and amateurs that have J/P combos and sliding Euro sourced or inspired iron surprised me.

The shop is a single car stall 10X23 with access to the other half when wanted. The power is both 110 and 240. I am now planning furniture for my growing daughters and trying some urban harvested rough lumber, particularly Elm.

Please consider these options and advise me? All of them, except the slider combo option, should be affordable but probably Canadian Woodworker, KMS, or Busy Bee rather than Euro branded iron. The prices come from Canadian Woodworker and Shelix. They represent full list no factor for tax and delivery. Please note CW has a machinery sale on this stuff currently but list price was used. The CWI Stinger helical cutters sure look nice.

I realize I'm offering a lot of what ifs. I hope my research has some value to other shoppers and spurs discussion.

A Delta clone cabinet TS, 6" helical JTR and upgrading the Delta PL? I consider this a viable option, call it $3550 (1350 + 1600 + 600). $3100 if I live with the Delta lunchbox and upgrade later.

The same with an 8" helical JTR? Call it $5200, (3000 + 1600 + 600). This is not attractive when considering the next option with a 12" jointer.

The same TS with a 12" helical J/P? At this point upgrading to a combo makes better sense than two helical head machines for milling. Call it $5600 (4000 + 1600).

A small 4' slider TS and 12" combo? 8500 (4000 + 4500). No matter how preferred this option is, it is not affordable, but worth price research.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Discussion for options to outfit shop?

I would not count on your Delta lunchbox lasting very long, especially if you want to plane rough sawn wood. They are best used with preplaned wood such as one would buy at a retail outlet.
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
      I would not count on your Delta lunchbox lasting very long, especially if you want to plane rough sawn wood. They are best used with preplaned wood such as one would buy at a retail outlet.
      Rob
      When I consider upgrading the Delta it is a bad idea for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck Bob View Post

When I consider upgrading the Delta it is a bad idea for me.
        You must not upgrade it, you should count on replacing it sooner rather than later and if you are thinking of buying a helical jointer and planer the combo units look more appealing.

Comment

I have a delta TP400LS lunchbox and I don't want anything else. 95% of the wood I put through it is rough cut. It's as good as any lunchbox you want to name. If it goes belly-up I'd try to buy another one.

Comment

The more I read my OP the options are not my true nature. I've given my head a shake until the rattling stopped. An extra $5000 to make dust in my garage, what was I thinking? Thanks Rusty

My Dewalt DW744 is an amazingly capable little saw. It has a killer factory stand, dado capability, soft start, and a fence that does what I ask.

The Delta PL needs blades but is in fine shape. I'll give the Dimar blades a spin.

I'll treat myself to a helical 6 inch jointer and finish my shop, 1300 bucks. I know there are tricks to safely joint 8 or 9 inch boards with a good 6 inch jointer and a lunchbox planer.

I really appreciate quality tools and understand and respect those that pursue woodworking at that level. That defines my business life in oilfield service. Time is no longer money for me. Money is money and a precious resource.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

As a hobbiest,you don't need any paticular machine to gain advantage over the competition,or improve your efficiency,you only need to please yourself, and it's your pursuit.If you feel the helical jointer is it,enjoy the shopping experiance,and you new machine.
              good luck and have fun

Comment

I have a set of Dimar blades in my lunchbox planer right now and they are even better than the originals and last a long time too. I do not plane dirty wood or old used wood. The only issue I have had in over 10 years use is cleaning out chips from around the chain. I've done it once in the last 10 years and don't ask me how the chips get in there but it did happen and you'll know if the cutter head becomes a bit stiff when trying to raise and lower the head.

Comment

Working...
                X