X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a Feeder On Minimax Shaper

I want to install a feeder on my new shaper Minimax
    1- Do you think it's possible
    2- If yes, which model of feeder (HP=?) (3 or 4 rolls)
    3- When looking from the front, which side will be better "Left or Right"
    Thank you
    Guy
    Sorry for my English, I am french from Marieville, Qué.
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Installing a Feeder On Minimax Shaper

Nice looking shaper! Does it have a tilting spindle? I have only ever worked with the feeder on the left side but I do not think it is important as long as you have room to swing it clear. I have a 4 roller feeder on one of my shapers, it means you can remove the 2 in the middle to clear a big cutter and still have in and out feed rollers. That shaper does not have a sliding table so I do not use large tenoning blades on it as I have others with the sliding table.

Comment

No the shaper dont have a tilting spindle, I would like to have one but the deal was for this shaper in the showroom. In the same time I bought a slider table saw (SI 315 ES) and a combo jointer/planer (FS 41C) all Minimax from Machinerie Continental - Montréal
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice machines,congradulations.
        i know felder offers a fold away feeders mount,perhaps scm has something,or at least some advice on drilling and taping the table to accept the feeder

Comment

Salut Guy, your English is wonderful.

I recommend mounting the feeder on the left rear corner of the shaper.

1/2 HP is more than enough for a feeder, a 4 wheel feeder is larger and provides 2 wheels on the infeed side of the cutter, and 2 on the outfeed.

I personally have a 3 wheel 1/2 HP feeder on the same size shaper at home, works great.

You have a very nice shaper..................Regards, Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Thank-you Rod for your information
            Guy

Comment

I prefer my feeder mounted on the right. The most common feed direct is from right to left. If the feeder moves slightly it works it towards the fence, not away from it. For long lengths and panels and larger cutters, 4 rollers is better than three, that way the rollers are well engaged on the wood. but it’s what you can afford.
              Have fun, Mark
              timberframe likes this.
              sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
                If the feeder moves slightly it works it towards the fence, not away from it.
                I would have used the same argument for the left side mounting. but I do not think I ever had a locked feeder move on me.Do you toe out the feeder to bias the wood against the fence or do you tilt the feeder?
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

I would have used the same argument for the left side mounting. but I do not think I ever had a locked feeder move on me.Do you toe out the feeder to bias the wood against the fence or do you tilt the feeder?
                  Rob
                  Rob, I toe my feeder very slightly against the fence. Works well for me, I have a big Italian 4 wheel feeder mounted on my big shaper.
                  sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

From my experience it doesn’t matter if you have the feeder mounted on the left or right it will work much the same on either side.
                    I currently have five feeders of those three of them can only be used mounted on the left side. It’s because of the way the stand and feeders are built. The other two will work on either side.
                    I only have one four wheel feeder the others are three wheeled. Here is the DC40 Cantek feeder mounted on my SCM T110. It’s the easiest feeder I have to setup and switch from feeding horizontal to vertical.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	FEC3ECC6-9BC3-4F34-91D9-E890A9A9D8AB.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1253659
                    Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

One thing to consider is whether the feeder model you've chosen can be mounted on either side of the table.

In the case of my 3 wheel feeder it can't be mounted on the right without losing some of the positioning capabilities.

The manual for the feeder you're looking at will indicate whether it can be mounted on either side.................Regards, Rod.
                      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                      X