Used Unisaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used Unisaw

My Rockwell has a rail on the back which the extension table is attached to.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Mine is supported with the rear fence rail which is an aluminum extrusion and the side edge of the extension is bolted to the side edge of the table. I also have adjustable legs to support the outside front and back corners.

"Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by DavidR8 View Post
        I wonder if someone would take a photo of the rear of their Unisaw so I can see what the back rail looks like.
        Is there supposed to be a length of angle iron or something to support the extension table?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        You had best ask for pic from a unisaw that came new with a unifence!

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

The Uni fence does not require a rear support. Therefore you can bolt anything you would like to the rear of the tables to support your outfeed. I used a 1x1 light angle iron on mine. Just remember to keep it level or slightly below the TS. You might have to rout slots for your miter gauge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	track saw.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1253164
          al.m.. likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

The Uni fence does not require a rear support. Therefore you can bolt anything you would like to the rear of the tables to support your outfeed. I used a 1x1 light angle iron on mine. Just remember to keep it level or slightly below the TS. You might have to rout slots for your miter gauge.
            When purchased new with a unifence they must have had something to attach the extensions at the back, that is what I was getting at and what the OP wants to know.

Comment

When purchased new with a unifence they must have had something to attach the extensions at the back, that is what I was getting at and what the OP wants to know.
              Not that I know of. The old Uni's never had anything out back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	27.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	1253187
              Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 09-28-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

So the extensions were only held along their sides? The HD shaper uses the same extensions IIRC, pretty vulnerable to breaking.
                Rob

Comment

So the extensions were only held along their sides? The HD shaper uses the same extensions IIRC, pretty vulnerable to breaking.
                  Rob
                  Most people added an outfeed table with some kind of rear support but the only thing on the rear of the tables that I found were some threaded holes. Some never even had those. That pic above is a true Uni extension and legs and was quite sturdy bolted to the wing as it was.

Comment

Even on uni fence models?

Comment

Why Rob? You don't need any back support if the side extensions are bolted to the side of the cast iron table top and set on legs at the outside back and front corners and for outfeed tables they don't have to attach at all. Mine is free standing and works perfectly and also allows me to move it all easily if I want to.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Why Rob? You don't need any back support if the side extensions are bolted to the side of the cast iron table top and set on legs at the outside back and front corners and for outfeed tables they don't have to attach at all. Mine is free standing and works perfectly and also allows me to move it all easily if I want to.
                        Because if it came with any other fence there would be a back rail for the fence from the factory.

Comment

Sorry, I may have been unclear in the reason for my question.
                          Context: the front rail for my Unifence came with a length of angle iron which is designed to support the front edge of the side extension table. The angle iron is part of the fence kit.

It seems to me the the back edge of the extension table needs similar support or it will sag.

I cannot find a single photo of the rear of a Unisaw with a Unifence and extension table.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	11.4 KB ID:	1253239
                            Originally posted by DavidR8 View Post
                            Sorry, I may have been unclear in the reason for my question.
                            Context: the front rail for my Unifence came with a length of angle iron which is designed to support the front edge of the side extension table. The angle iron is part of the fence kit.

It seems to me the the back edge of the extension table needs similar support or it will sag.

I cannot find a single photo of the rear of a Unisaw with a Unifence and extension table.

i believe what that is about,the angle iron is to support one end of a extention to the side,or a out feed. It would be bolted to the appropriate side,or rear that you want the extention( or out feed) to extend from,at a height that ,when the extention is attached will be flush or a few tho below the saws surface. The two corners of the extention opposite of the side supported by the angle iron should be supported by legs
                            Last edited by al.m..; 09-28-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I found a picture.

I think I'm missing the grey angle iron seen under the table in this photo. I have the one for the front but not the back.
                              Looks like a trip to the metal supplier is in order.

Comment

David, you might consider cutting your rail in half and using the off cut on the back.
                                I have done this with a 120” rail and it makes a good attachment point for an outfeed and/or extension table. Sounds like 41-1/2” rails might be right for your application.
                                DavidR8 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X