Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw/ scroll saw

just thinking
    could a scroll saw effectively replace my bandsaw? I don't use my bandsaw to its potential,although it has respectable resaw capabilities,I have never found a need to resaw lumber.most often it's hacking away some extra material before routering,or doing some curves or radiuses in 4/4. I have although found its 14" throat limiting at times. Seems scroll saws with much deeper throats are readily available at relatively low cost. Also think a scroll saw may free up some precious wall space due to not needing the headroom the bandsaw dictates.
    that said
    i know nothing of scroll saws.
    what am I missing?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bandsaw/ scroll saw

Each has its' advantages so do some research on the various scroll saws, seeing as how you have a band saw already.
    Price ranges from the cheap to the expensive (Excaliber).
    But you get what you pay.

Comment

scroll saws are slow and the blades are fragile
      i use my beaver scroll saw more as a small bandsaw as you described, but i can put a piece of bandsaw blade in the chucks
      my shop is a beaver lodge
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
        scroll saws are slow and the blades are fragile
        i use my beaver scroll saw more as a small bandsaw as you described, but i can put a piece of bandsaw blade in the chucks
        Al,

I also use scraps of broken bandsaw blade in my scroll saw, thanks to the generosity of a forum member. I have a Beaver scroll saw (24") and I have a cheapy Ridgid bandsaw (14"). I know what the intention is .... save space and expect a bit less usability, but ..... I think you'll be disappointed. A scroll saw is (in my opinion only) not a good substitute for a band saw except for light work.

... just a thought ... anyone nearby who could lend you one for a bit? Trying it is the best way to find out. If I was closer I'd lend you mine.

Comment

The scroll saw is a great machine for it's intended purpose, internal work and tight cuts IMO. If I can do it on the band saw, then I do it on the band saw, I only turn to the scroll saw, when I can't do it on the band saw. If you intend on doing band saw work on the scroll saw maybe what you need is something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walking-Beam Saw 1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	1253505

I call it a scroll saw on steroids, you can find the plans in FWW # 24 and the FWW book "Making and Modifying Machines".

Comment

Al, good scroll saws are not cheap. Just my opinion but you will be disappointed. Blades are the big issue and 4/4 lumber is stretching their capability. Think about it like using a coping saw when you need at least a jigsaw or a good handsaw. John mentions the same above and i agree with his assessment. If you need speed and space use a jigsaw.

Comment

If space is an issue and you don't need resaw capability, maybe swap your 14" bandsaw for a 10" benchtop model. You may be able to move it out of the way when not in use just like a scroll saw. Agree with the others scroll sawing 4/4 wood will be slow and the blades are fragile. If you have a jig saw you can also consider mounting it inverted (blade up) in a vice and using it as a band saw alternative for some cuts, not as good as a bandsaw but maybe better than a scroll saw for some cuts.

Comment

Thanks for the solid advice folks,I will forget that idea.it was inspired by a ad for a 24" delta- millwalkie that seemed like a good deal.
                frankly,I am un inspired by the bandsaw,rarely use it.Maybe the jig saw is the way for me,frankly it gets used about as often as the bandsaw in my shop,mainly when something is to heavy/ awkward for the bandsaw,or the 14" throat won't allow the job tho be done( surprising how often that happens

Comment

If you ever reconsider Al. Here is another picture of that beast "walking-beam" saw I posted earlier. The plan shows you how to modify the arms so you can do endlessly long ripping and resawing, and check out the giant 8" hardwood block he is crosscutting. If you can't afford both a big bandsaw and a scroll saw this beast will do the work of both, as long as you don't have to do alot of very fine scroll work.

Name:	CCI12102018.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	1254467

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
                    If you ever reconsider Al. Here is another picture of that beast "walking-beam" saw I posted earlier. The plan shows you how to modify the arms so you can do endlessly long ripping and resawing, and check out the giant 8" hardwood block he is crosscutting. If you can't afford both a big bandsaw and a scroll saw this beast will do the work of both, as long as you don't have to do alot of very fine scroll work.

Name:	CCI12102018.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	1254467
                    Sorry Carlos,my idea was to free up space in my shop,not displace every other tool I own,lol

Carlosinthesticks likes this.

Comment

Yea but this one would do all the work of all the other tools, Everyone's dream the one tool shop . No guts no glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
                        Yea but this one would do all the work of all the other tools, Everyone's dream the one tool shop . No guts no glory.
                        i like to think my felder combination machine is a little more versatile

Comment

Working...
                        X