Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    I have a 20 in Byrd head in my planer and would not be without it. It is a made in China Delta planer. I use it almost daily and rotated the knives for the first time a couple of months ago and after approx 5 years of use. I got mine from Holbren and at the time he offered free shipping. His price was less than if I had gone directly to Byrd which I believe you can still do. That included taking away the free shipping.

i have a 24 inch EMA planer in my shop. It is an older Italian made machine with a 4 straight knife cutter head. It is a industrial quality machine , much more so than my Delta. I will eventually order a shelix head for it and am leaning towards a Taiwan shop but the head is made in Vietnam. A Byrd head for my EMA from Byrd is approx $5800 USD. It will be less than half that from Taiwan and the quality will be equal. I have had the opportunity to examine lots of Asian cutting tools at the annual machinery shows in the US.

Leave a comment:

• bone_wood
    started a topic Shelix for Delta DJ20

Shelix for Delta DJ20

HI there. looking to get some helical cutters for my DJ20 i just finally got aroudn the cleaning up...

Just 2 quick questions for those of you who've got Shelix cutters.

1 - Do you guys think there's a big difference between the byrd cutters and say these? or other generic branded ones?

https://www.canadianwoodworker.com/w...get=CWI-HC8-02

2 - where have you guys bought the byrd ones from? Only couple of sites i foudn were:

mywoodcutters.com
    oella saw and tool
    holbren

any canadian retailers?

thanks!
Working...
X