Delta 36-220C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 36-220C

Blade Suddenly stopped turning by hand or power .
    loosened off motor but cant remove it
    when motor is loose I can turn by hand
    can see paint scarped off on cooling fan
    any suggestions as to how to remove motor
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Delta 36-220C

These mitre saws use a reduction gear between the motor and blade mandrel. The reduction gears "sometimes" seize.

Try this link for a parts picture : https://www.ereplacementparts.com/de...3503_3610.html

Comment

The reason you can turn the blade with the motor loose is because the reduction gear is no longer engaged. You can't pull the motor off because there are 7 inside wires connecting the switch handle to the motor and power cord. If you don't want to cut the wires you need to open up the switch handle and disconnect the wiring from the switch, you then should be able to feed the wiring through the access hole as you pull the motor off.
      Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 10-02-2019, 06:00 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Thanks
        Is it worth replacing the reduction gear ?
        If It is I will try disconnecting the wires and go from there.

Comment

Without knowing exactly what is wrong it is hard to say if it can be recovered. You didn't mention any smoke or burnt electrical smells, so I assume it wasn't the motor, this leaves two other options The gear reduction teeth are worn and they climbed up on each other and jammed, in that case the saw is toast, It would be cheaper to buy a new one than replace the parts, if you could even find them. The other possibility is worn out bearings allowing the gear teeth to ride up on each other and jamming. If the gears are not damaged and there are no other problems you may be able to replace the bearings, but chances are the saw is toast. Check the brushes, you may have no brushes left, that would be an easy fix, but I can't see how that would have jammed things up.

Hopefully you don't object to a little side track and some pictures.

Back in 83 I purchased a Skilsaw miter saw. Back then they were pretty much all cast iron and heavy compared to the mostly aluminum nowadays. This was a great saw, it did renovations, lots of projects and built two houses for me. Sadly a couple of years ago and the motor burnt up in a big cloud of smoke. I removed and discarded the motor but couldn't bring my self the throw away the heavy iron and aluminum frame.

A month ago I was at the landfill with my monthly bag of garbage, and the young lady attendant at the landfill brought my attention to a Craftsman compound miter saw someone had dropped off. YES I'll take it. Got it home, blew it out well with compressed air and plugged it in. It fired up right away, very little play in the blade and it ran true with no noticeable run out, and the brushes were barely worn. Sure we can rebuild this. The only problem I found was a cracked handle and the steel parts had a layer of rust build up. Not a problem good thing I kept my old Skilsaw the handle is the same and can be interchanged. We will disassemble the saw down to the last part and clean the rust, lubricate and reassemble. When I am done with winter prep chores, I am still trying to decide to finish the 8" jointer rebuild or do the compound next, decisions, decisions. Heres a few pictures.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compound Saw 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	1254054Click image for larger version  Name:	Compound Saw 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	1254055

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compound Saw 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.3 KB ID:	1254056Click image for larger version  Name:	Compound Saw 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.8 KB ID:	1254057

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compound Saw 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	1254058Click image for larger version  Name:	Compound Saw 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	1254059
          Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 10-03-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X