Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Routers with Dust Collection

Originally posted by stotto View Post

Don't waste your time or money. Piece of crap. It broke on the second use.
    Thanks for posting that. I was considering ordering one, but was not sure how tough it was.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by stotto View Post

Don't waste your time or money. Piece of crap. It broke on the second use.
      Thanks for the info Stan. I saw the advertisement for it, but have not tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim W C View Post
        I know you probably don't want to hear it, but the dust collection on festool's OF2200 is really good, especially with the accessory kit. Not for the faint of heart, though. The dust collection on their OF1010 sucks, though.
        That’s good to know thanks!

How do you find the top handle?
        I found it kinda awkward but probably just because it’s so different from what I’m used to

Nathan

Comment

The dust hood accesory kit for my Bosch fixed base is surprisingly effective. Coupled with a high suction shop vac (not the DC system) it seemed to do very well.
          nnieman likes this.
          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

That’s good to know thanks!

How do you find the top handle?
            I found it kinda awkward but probably just because it’s so different from what I’m used to

Nathan
            The OF2200 has side handles, though they are a little higher than on most routers. I thought it might make it a tippy or top heavy, but I haven’t found that to be the case, even on narrow stock. The plunge lock in the left handle is a nice feature, once you get used to it. The only problem I’ve had with it is that the telescopic dust shroud sticks once in a while, but that started only after we rabbeted a few hundred feet of barnboard, and it probably just needs a good cleaning.

The OF1010 has a knob on the side and a top handle. It’s just ok. Mine is pretty much a dedicated dovetail jig router, so I can’t say how well it works for other functions. For my Leigh jig, it’s just the right size—more powerful than a trim router, not as cumbersome as a big boy.
            nnieman likes this.

Comment

Good qiestion!
              My issue isnt containing the mess, it’s keeping it out of myself.
              I have a respirator but a respirator plus ear muff plus safety glasses sucks.
              No fun at all.

I have been working with several types of mahogany and reclaimed redwood lately and they are bothering my sinuses.

Nathan
              This one may not help you much, Sears Craftsman is dead in Canada, still going in the US I think, and they probably don't make this model anymore. I bought the 800 model in 1991 and it still runs like new. It has built in dust collection, if you don't want to use the bag you can connect it to a shop vac for even more extreme suction. It doesn't get the big chunks, but the fine dust does not exit the router base, even with the snap-in shields removed. It has a built in light and I can get my face close without breathing the fine dust, the chunkier material is not a problem and mostly gets thrown clear. When its a 1/4" bit in a, fixed base, hand held, router, this is the one I turn to. The Router is running in both of the pictures, after all of these years, still good tight bearings, very little vibration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Router 1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1254722Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Router 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1254723
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post

This one may not help you much, Sears Craftsman is dead in Canada, still going in the US I think, and they probably don't make this model anymore. I bought the 800 model in 1991 and it still runs like new. It has built in dust collection, if you don't want to use the bag you can connect it to a shop vac for even more extreme suction. It doesn't get the big chunks, but the fine dust does not exit the router base, even with the snap-in shields removed. It has a built in light and I can get my face close without breathing the fine dust, the chunkier material is not a problem and mostly gets thrown clear. When its a 1/4" bit in a, fixed base, hand held, router, this is the one I turn to. The Router is running in both of the pictures, after all of these years, still good tight bearings, very little vibration.

Name:	DC Router 1.jpg
Views:	141
ID:	1254722Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Router 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1254723
                There is actually one of those on kijiji locally.
                I’ll have to go check it out.

timberframe Maybe I’ll have to borrow yours for a few days when you’re around.
                Do you hook it up to the festool vac?
                Do you have to turn the suction all the way up for it to be effective?

Nathan

Comment

Yup! Crank it right up.
                  nnieman likes this.
                  Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

I added a chip shield and a port from a bosch sander to my old dewalt router yesterday.

Like Adam Savage says, failure is always an option.

It really did not make any noticeable difference to the amount of dust in the air.
                    The base needs to be totally enclosed for the dust extractor to be effective.

Nathan

Name:	IMG_4246.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1254597Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4244.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1254598Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4242.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1254596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241.jpg
Views:	204
ID:	1254595Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4247.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1254594Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4239.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1254593
                    Are you using an upcut bit? A downcut bit will shove everything down and generate that kind of mess with a shield/chip catcher, but an upcut should send most of the mess towards the vac. I use the same shield and never see that kind of result.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post

Thanks for posting that. I was considering ordering one, but was not sure how tough it was.
                      everyone says that about the bosch too - fact of the matter is, everything has a damage threshold and some of us are rougher with our tools...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim W C View Post
                        The dust collection on their OF1010 sucks, though.
                        I have that router and it's pretty good in my experience.

I use it mostly trimming with the edging plate kit and chip deflector or on a dovetail jig.
                        nnieman likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post

Are you using an upcut bit? A downcut bit will shove everything down and generate that kind of mess with a shield/chip catcher, but an upcut should send most of the mess towards the vac. I use the same shield and never see that kind of result.
                          That's a great point
                          I am using this
                          https://www.amazon.ca/Freud-50-101-2-Inch-Diameter-Bearing/dp/B00004T7IY/ref=asc_df_B00004T7IY/?tag=bingshopdesk-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584001424174381&psc=1

Just a basic easily obtainable freud top bearing bit.
                          I tend to go through a few of them so I stick to something inexpensive that I can get locally.

What brand are you using for bits?
                          Do they work for edge trimming or plunge routing only?

Nathan

Comment

guitarchitect Any experience with this type??

https://www.toolstoday.com/flush-tri...l-bearing.html

"Up Shear and Down-Shear Angles
                            – These shear angles cut faster, cleaner and lasts longer than straight angle because of the chip removal speed. Amana Tool® recommends using a shear angle in most instances especially where large diameters are used.

These bits are essentially a plunge-cutting straight with a shank-mounted ball-bearing pilot. Versatile, useful for template/pattern routing of parts, joints, internal cuts, and can be used in handheld & table-mounted routers."

Nathan

Comment

Typically just whatever Lee Valley sells, althought if I'm going to peak toolworks for sharpening I'll sometimes get bits there - I forget if they're Dimar or someone else but they're pretty good. I should pick your brain, I want to build a telecaster-style electric some time soon!
                              nnieman likes this.

Comment

I have that Mastercraft one, while the the collection worked pretty well with an up-cut spiral bit, the port to attach the vacuum broke off after only a few uses. I have it rigged back with a combination of screws/zip ties.

Was looking into the Oneida one, disappointing to hear it mat break easily as well.
                                nnieman likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X