X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nnieman
    replied
    Originally posted by EMSbyDay View Post

True, however it was a gift and I don't have the receipt. I've managed to warranty stuff before without but it was a HUGE hassle. They almost wouldn't cover it, stating they couldn't prove I bought it within the warranty period. I then pointed out that the product was new and had not been available longer than the warranty.
    Oh that's brutal

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• EMSbyDay
    replied
    Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Crappy tire is pretty great with their warranty stuff.
    I think 3 years.
    You can probably take it in and get a new one!

Nathan
    True, however it was a gift and I don't have the receipt. I've managed to warranty stuff before without but it was a HUGE hassle. They almost wouldn't cover it, stating they couldn't prove I bought it within the warranty period. I then pointed out that the product was new and had not been available longer than the warranty.

Leave a comment:

• Don Burch
    replied

I honestly can’t find them on Lee valleys new website.
    I spent my lunch break searching and found no spiral bits with a bearing.

Nathan
    I bought a couple off eBay a long time ago. Sometimes you have to be patient, but the automated search engine work very well.
    Don

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied

Oh okay that makes sense.
    All my templates are designed tend to work with top bearing bits. 1-1.

Nathan
    Well if that's the only way, Whiteside makes one... But at $200 it isn't for the faint of heart (or wallet)

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jaywood1207
    replied
    Somebody had Triton at the Woodstock woodshow but I can’t remember who. Here is a list of dealers within a 250km radius of my place. Enter your postal code and you might get some different/closer options for yourself. I have a triton and so far like it but it also gets very little use as most of my routing is in my router table.

http://www.tritontools.com/en-CA/Home/FindDealer

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
    Ah, yes bearing ones are trickier to find! Freud makes a cheap one but I just use a bushing

Oh okay that makes sense.
    All my templates are designed tend to work with top bearing bits. 1-1.

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied

Nathan
    Ah, yes bearing ones are trickier to find! Freud makes a cheap one but I just use a bushing

Leave a comment:

• timberframe
    replied

Nathan
    I don't think I've ever seen one at Lee Valley actually..

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Originally posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    I have that Mastercraft one, while the the collection worked pretty well with an up-cut spiral bit, the port to attach the vacuum broke off after only a few uses. I have it rigged back with a combination of screws/zip ties.

Was looking into the Oneida one, disappointing to hear it mat break easily as well.
    Crappy tire is pretty great with their warranty stuff.
    I think 3 years.
    You can probably take it in and get a new one!

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Typically just whatever Lee Valley sells, althought if I'm going to peak toolworks for sharpening I'll sometimes get bits there - I forget if they're Dimar or someone else but they're pretty good. I should pick your brain, I want to build a telecaster-style electric some time soon!

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• EMSbyDay
    replied
    I have that Mastercraft one, while the the collection worked pretty well with an up-cut spiral bit, the port to attach the vacuum broke off after only a few uses. I have it rigged back with a combination of screws/zip ties.

Was looking into the Oneida one, disappointing to hear it mat break easily as well.

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied
    Typically just whatever Lee Valley sells, althought if I'm going to peak toolworks for sharpening I'll sometimes get bits there - I forget if they're Dimar or someone else but they're pretty good. I should pick your brain, I want to build a telecaster-style electric some time soon!

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    guitarchitect Any experience with this type??

https://www.toolstoday.com/flush-tri...l-bearing.html

"Up Shear and Down-Shear Angles
    – These shear angles cut faster, cleaner and lasts longer than straight angle because of the chip removal speed. Amana Tool® recommends using a shear angle in most instances especially where large diameters are used.

These bits are essentially a plunge-cutting straight with a shank-mounted ball-bearing pilot. Versatile, useful for template/pattern routing of parts, joints, internal cuts, and can be used in handheld & table-mounted routers."

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied

Are you using an upcut bit? A downcut bit will shove everything down and generate that kind of mess with a shield/chip catcher, but an upcut should send most of the mess towards the vac. I use the same shield and never see that kind of result.
    That's a great point
    I am using this
    https://www.amazon.ca/Freud-50-101-2-Inch-Diameter-Bearing/dp/B00004T7IY/ref=asc_df_B00004T7IY/?tag=bingshopdesk-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584001424174381&psc=1

Just a basic easily obtainable freud top bearing bit.
    I tend to go through a few of them so I stick to something inexpensive that I can get locally.

What brand are you using for bits?
    Do they work for edge trimming or plunge routing only?

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• altiplano
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim W C View Post
    The dust collection on their OF1010 sucks, though.
    I have that router and it's pretty good in my experience.

I use it mostly trimming with the edging plate kit and chip deflector or on a dovetail jig.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X