Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Williams & Hussey Molder-Planer good just for planing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williams & Hussey Molder-Planer good just for planing?

I found a Williams & Hussey W7 Molder-Planer at my local Habitat ReStore today. I wasn't familiar with the maker or the machine, but knew it was a good deal for a heavy, american-made machine like this. I don't have any pressing need to make moldings, but I was wondering if this machine would make a good small planer? Would it be a step-up from a lunch box planer like a Delta? The straight planing knives are available for $144USD from W&H, but I'm not sure it would be worth the investment just for planing. It's only 7 inches wide as well, but my jointer is only 6 so I don't think that would be a big problem.

Here's a couple pics of the machine. It came with a set of curved knives.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20191011_175013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	371.5 KB ID:	1254944Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20191011_175030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	541.2 KB ID:	1254942
    Attached Files
    Last edited by streetcore; 10-11-2019, 08:43 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Williams & Hussey Molder-Planer good just for planing?

A friend of mine had a W&H 30 years ago he bought new ($700 US) to be used as a planer. Being open ended, its capacity is 13 1/2”. He liked it that way and never used it as a older, which is it’s strong point. They cost upwards of $2500 now.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Mike. I was shocked when I realized how much these things cost new. I think it's definitely worth spending some money to get it running again. If anyone knows of any alternate sources for straight planer knives, please let me know.

Comment

I have had one for the past 25 years and use it as a moulding machine. Any parts you need are readily available from W & H. I use it as a moulder and get my knives from moulding knives . com. They are located in Nova Scotia. Great service. Unfortunately the knives are sold by the inch. A guesstimate would be about $300. They are a great little machine.
        Brian
        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

sarnia habitat store? what are they asking for it?

im not interested, just curious!
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

It came home with me on Friday Steve. I hate to gloat, but it was only $30. So even though I didn't know much about it there was no way I was leaving without it.

Comment

Originally posted by streetcore View Post
              It came home with me on Friday Steve. I hate to gloat, but it was only $30. So even though I didn't know much about it there was no way I was leaving without it.
              followed you home huh? LOL
              is it operational?
              i dont know about power requirements but i would think at least 1hp, cutterhead speed around 4000 likely

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/900/12586.pdf
              Last edited by stevem; 10-14-2019, 01:59 PM.
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

They come with a 3 hp and know a couple of guys that run 5 hp.

Comment

I'll give 60.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post

followed you home huh? LOL
                    is it operational?
                    It was just the machine, no motor or stand. It was a bit rusty and the bearings felt a bit gritty, but otherwise seems okay. I've got it torn apart and I'm giving it a good cleaning this weekend.

Comment

does it have powered rollers? They can be added later.

Comment

Looks like it does. It is a newer model than mine. That was a steal. You can also buy another set of gears that give you more cuts per inch. I would like to have a variable speed drive that covers all the basis.

Brian
                        Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 10-14-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Here's a pic of the cutter head with chain drive to both rollers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191012_154853.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	757.1 KB
ID:	1255306

Comment

What are you guys using for gear box oil? I see W&H sells there own and new ones ship with "Mineral Gear Oil, 600XP 460". That seems pretty hard to find and only in 5 gallon buckets, but I read somewhere that 90W gear oil should be fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                              They come with a 3 hp and know a couple of guys that run 5 hp.
                              i guess you would need that much if running it as a moulder, 3hp seems a lot though for just planer use
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Working...
                              X