Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Williams & Hussey Molder-Planer good just for planing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• streetcore
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions about gear oil. I sent a couple questions to Williams & Hussey and got some very helpful advice directly from the CEO. Regarding gear oil he said: "You should be okay with 80 weight. If you can get 90 all the better. Nothing less than 80 or gear box will really heat up."

Leave a comment:

• Beaverfever1988
    replied
    30 bucks! I would've taken a bakers dozen at that price. Looks like an awesome machine. I would think something like 80w gear oil should be fine for the gears. I always like it when i can use a cheaper oil, not afraid to do oil changes often then.

Leave a comment:

• Bob in Weyburn
    replied
    An 80 weight gear oils should be more than adequate.
    BW

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    The new bearings arrived this week and I'm hoping to get the machine back together this weekend. If anyone has any recommendations regarding gearbox oil, please let me know. I can order the 600XP 460 from W&H, but it's about $16US plus $30US for shipping. That's pretty expensive stuff and I'm wondering if I could get away with something else for light duty use and/or initial testing of the machine.

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    They come with a 3 hp and know a couple of guys that run 5 hp.
    i guess you would need that much if running it as a moulder, 3hp seems a lot though for just planer use

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    What are you guys using for gear box oil? I see W&H sells there own and new ones ship with "Mineral Gear Oil, 600XP 460". That seems pretty hard to find and only in 5 gallon buckets, but I read somewhere that 90W gear oil should be fine too.

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    Here's a pic of the cutter head with chain drive to both rollers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191012_154853.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	757.1 KB
ID:	1255306

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    Looks like it does. It is a newer model than mine. That was a steal. You can also buy another set of gears that give you more cuts per inch. I would like to have a variable speed drive that covers all the basis.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 10-14-2019, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    does it have powered rollers? They can be added later.

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    Originally posted by stevem View Post

followed you home huh? LOL
    is it operational?
    It was just the machine, no motor or stand. It was a bit rusty and the bearings felt a bit gritty, but otherwise seems okay. I've got it torn apart and I'm giving it a good cleaning this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ytsawman
    replied
    I'll give 60.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    They come with a 3 hp and know a couple of guys that run 5 hp.

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    Originally posted by streetcore View Post
    It came home with me on Friday Steve. I hate to gloat, but it was only $30. So even though I didn't know much about it there was no way I was leaving without it.
    followed you home huh? LOL
    is it operational?
    i dont know about power requirements but i would think at least 1hp, cutterhead speed around 4000 likely

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/900/12586.pdf
    Last edited by stevem; 10-14-2019, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    It came home with me on Friday Steve. I hate to gloat, but it was only $30. So even though I didn't know much about it there was no way I was leaving without it.

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    sarnia habitat store? what are they asking for it?

im not interested, just curious!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X