Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premature Arbor Bearing Failure

Hi all,

About 6 months ago, I got a good deal on a 20-year-old King KC-10DS cabinet saw. For those not familiar, these are the Taiwanese Unisaw clone that are re-branded among many importers like Busy Bee, etc.

The saw had clearly seen some abuse but I fixed it up with new arbor bearings among other things. One of the previous arbor bearings has more than failed, the seals were open and the ball cage was crushed. After it was put back together, there was a measurable run-out under the gullet of about 0.005", just barely acceptable and I knew I would like to correct that eventually.

I was ripping some 4/4 maple yesterday and noticed the arbor started making some noise. Turning it by hand produced some clicking. When I took the belts off the arbor, the clicks went away and it spun freely, but that doesn't mean much. The bearing should be smooth under a side-load. The run-out seemed larger too, but I didn't measure it.

Something else, which I found really surprising and worrying. The arbor flange had gouges on the face that meets the blade. My combination blade now has identical gouges as well! These gouges were certainly not there before. When I rebuilt the saw originally, I tried to fix the run-out by holding a grinding stone against the arbor flange while spinning, to true it up. So it was very smooth after that. Does anyone think this is related or unrelated? I've never jammed the saw, I'm pretty gentle with it in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, when installing the bearings, one of them seated a little too easy, if you know what I mean.

The only conclusion I can make is the arbor could be bent or worn around one of the inner bearing races and causing premature wear on the bearings.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried to repair an arbor? I have access to a machine shop. I'm not particularly good but someone there can help me. I feel like that could be a waste of time. I also feel like I don't want to shell out the money for a new arbor, considering the quality of the saw and the price I paid for it.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Premature Arbor Bearing Failure

You will see when you open it up, but likely a bearing spun in it's housing. After the housing is worn the bearings are no longer aligned and at 3600 rpm for a few hours it self destructs.
    Scott Walsh likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
      You will see when you open it up, but likely a bearing spun in it's housing. After the housing is worn the bearings are no longer aligned and at 3600 rpm for a few hours it self destructs.
      If this is the case for the inner race spinning, replacing the arbor would prevent this from happening?

Comment

yes fit a shrunk on bushing, a bearing with a smaller bore or rebuild shaft or replace it. replacing probably cheapest but a left hand thread is more challenging.

Comment

Working...
        X