King, Rikon, CWI??? Which bandsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King, Rikon, CWI??? Which bandsaw?

Looking to add a bandsaw to the shop in the new year. I have been looking around at various models online and am a little hesitant about making any concrete decisions thus far. I want a saw capable of at least 12" re-saw without having to purchase a riser block kit, 220 volt capability and a decent fence.

King Industrial offers a 14" which seems to fit the bill. Takes up to a 1 inch blade, but I believe requires a kit to convert to 220 - an additional $75 or so. I did play around with a King Industrial table saw and really liked the fence on it, the bandsaw is equipped with the same branded "Tru-Rip" fence. This saw is also capable of taking up to a 1 inch blade and has a foot pedal brake/kill switch.

Rikon seems to have great reviews. was looking at the 14" 10-326 model. This offers a full 13 inches of resaw, but takes only a 3/4 inch blade. 220 conversion is easily accomplished and the mobility kit seems well designed. Well designed fence, but no foot brake.

CWI has a few interesting machines and the 14 inch floor model seems decent. up to a 1 inch blade as well, but I don't know much about this company and can't seem to find many reviews. I think, like the KMS line of Magnum Industrial, they are re-branded General International machines.

All the machines above are in the $1500 range. Laguna seems to have generally decent reviews but is a few hundred more, and doesn't even ship with a blade!

Ant insight into any of the machines listed, or any other suggestions?

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: King, Rikon, CWI??? Which bandsaw?

Hi, for resaw in that height range I wouldn't buy a saw smaller than 17".

I'll be really amazed if the saws you mentioned can actually tension a 1" blade, that's a very large blade for a small saw.

As I'm impatient I wish my band saws had either an electric or manual brake, however it is something I can live without.

The most important features for me are

- ability to tension a blade of 5/8 or 3/4" max

- low table height as I often use the saw for breaking down timbers or sawing logs

- the ability to attach either commercial or home made table extensions.

regards, Rod.
    stotto likes this.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

My personal opinion would be Rikon way ahead of King . I have a 14" Grizzly 30th Anniversary model which I put a riser block on and can saw a full 12 inches which I have done many times sawing lots of 3/6" to 1/4" thick panels when making my Dizzy/Vortex bowls . I know a few people that have the Rikon saw you mention and they love it. It even has a few more nice features than my Grizzly . Good luck with your decision .

Comment

I would also look at the type of guides and the amount of power of the motor in your decision. As Rod said, I wouldn’t get to hung up on 3/4 vs 1” it’s more important to tension properly.
        sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by MDDaly View Post
          Looking to add a bandsaw to the shop in the new year. I have been looking around at various models online and am a little hesitant about making any concrete decisions thus far. I want a saw capable of at least 12" re-saw without having to purchase a riser block kit, 220 volt capability and a decent fence.

Thanks
          Buy the best saw you can afford. You'll generally get what you pay for.

I'd guess if you buy a 14" and use it fairly often you'll end up wanting to upgrade to a heavier/larger machine sooner than you may have thought.

I would stay away from something that needs to be "converted" or have a riser block added on for 12" resaw capacity.

If it is 220 , 17" , has been properly set up and has a good sharp well tensioned blade you'll enjoy the process of resawing

much more than using a machine that needs to be maxed out to do what you would like.

I'd consider the Laguna.

Rikon does get good reviews.

If you know of anyone in your area with a saw you're considering go and try one out.

Consider the used market as well. There can be some very good deals out there.

Happy shopping!
          http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

If you can stretch your budget, I’d get one of these. I’m very impressed with mine. https://youtu.be/5wpYIkhdejs
            VIDEOS: www.youtube.com/AWoodworkersLife

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Although over budget I bought one of these and it has been a workhorse.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...itch/G0513X2BF

Other choices could include:

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...csa-cx108.html

Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 11-07-2019, 07:21 AM.

Comment

if i was in the market, i'd pick the ricon from Lee Valley, partially because its lee valley!
                i dont understand the $75 upgrade for 240 on the King, most of our motors are dual voltage, all you do is change a couple of wires and install a different plug.
                the blades included with any saw, including bandsaws, are usually cheapies anyway so dont eliminate the laguna on that count
                my shop is a beaver lodge
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I wouldn't let the minor differences in price be your determining factor. I mean if you are buying new, you are already into the 1500 zone, and if the saw you want is 300 or even 500 more, what does that mean over a lifetime of use? I bought a Laguna 14/12 and would not trade it for any 14" saw. It had some warts and I had to do some significant work to tune t like I wanted, but this will likely be the last bandsaw I buy.
                  The suggestions to go for a 17" have merit if you have the shop space.
                  Don't get focused on insignificant issue like whether it comes with a blade or not. Most blades supplied with saws are of poor quality anyways. You will use dozens of blades over the life of the saw. What does one more mean?
                  Wally in Calgary likes this.
                  Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

Working...
                  X