Makita 2040 Planer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita 2040 Planer

I apologize for starting a new post with this subject as i know it has been discussed many times before.
    I disassembled my Makita 2040 planer this afternoon with the intentions of taking the feed rollers to Edmonton to get resurfaced by ACR Group in Nisku. When I pulled the rollers out I found that the bearings on one roller had scored the shaft of the roller, I contacted and dropped the damaged shaft off at a machine shop and they are confident they can build up and machine the shaft to fit new bearings which I picked up today.
    My question is, what density of polymer to use for the new coating. The company that will do the recoating have asked what hardness I would need. I am hoping that anyone who has had there rollers resurfaced can provide a recommendation.

Thanks

kevin
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Makita 2040 Planer

I have had 3 sets done here in ontario for roller
    at a place in milton
    how much is the charge in sask recoat???
    Last edited by ytsawman; 11-07-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

looked at my bill said material 336-1 70A

if that helps might be 70 durometer

Comment

Thanks I haven't got a price from them yet, I'm going to take them there tomorrow, they said when they see them and know the material to use they will give me a quote. Do you recall what your cost was, also are you happy with them?

Comment

i think they were around 330 with tax for 2 rollers
          very good job happy yes

Comment

Hi Kevin,I can't answer your question about the hardness,but imho,the original rollers were much too soft. I owned one years ago,before I had a shop,stored it in my shed,hauled it into the backyard for use. Worked very well in the bitter cold,in the warmer months the rollers would soften and chips would pack up on the sticky surface,a definite week spot of the machine. Was also a screamer,but did give nice results when all was well.
            best thing about it,searching for a answer about what to do about the rollers led me to this forum many years ago

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks for the info, that is about what I thought I'd be looking at, which is still cheaper than new, I was told by Makita today new factory rollers are $475.00 ea. and you still have the soft rubber finish which I agree is a weak spot with the machine. I' ve had my machine for over 40 yrs it has planed a lot of wood and yes it is hard on the ears to say the least but it does a nice job when it's not shedding its rollers!

Comment

Working...
              X