Vintage delta 14" bandsaw vs clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage delta 14" bandsaw vs clones

so,I sold my Laguna bx14,good saw basically,and I believe I had the bugs out of it( finally) but Laguna left a bad taste in my mouth.
    in the time I had it,I never used the resaw capabilities. Now I would like to get a 14" in the $200-$300 range.How do the newer clones stack up against the old deltas? Between them,they seem to be the lions share of used saws on the market in my target price range
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Vintage delta 14" bandsaw vs clones

I have a Ridgid 14" bandsaw. I have had it for about 13-14 years. I don't over work it, but it does everything I ask of it. I tried doing this resawing and log sawing stuff with it just for the heck of it ... it does it, not quickly, but it does it. How much can a person expect from a $400 saw ?

Comment

a few years ago I found a used 14" Ridgid on kijiji, my FIL wanted to buy a bandsaw for my BIL, and this was a good deal.

a few months ago I picked up an old original Delta/Rockwell 14" bandsaw from govdeals for very cheap.

between the two I noticed these differences;

1. the older Delta was heavier, whether thicker casting, thicker sheet steel covers, etc, or just my older age, it was more difficult to lug around.

2. the trunions and associated pieces seemed stronger on the older Delta. I say "seemed" as the Ridgid had a piece break, and needed replacement (Kings 14" from homehardware is same so parts were sourced from there)

3. fit & finish on the Delta was bit cleaner. the Ridgid was not the 14+yr version, it was maybe 5-8yrs (bright orange & black) but the table, upper bearing/gaurd moved smoother on the Delta. granted that may have been from 40yrs of use opposed to 8yrs.

that said the Ridgid works flawlessly for my BIL who was happy to receive the gift. my FIL has a Taiwan made Busy Bee version of the Delta with a 6" riser on it that he has been happy with for a few decades too. the new owner of the Delta I had I have to assume will be content with his purchase.

Considering how similar they all are, I can't imagine different they can perform. I think the guides/bearings and blade quality will determine how well it does what you would ask of it.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Thank you gentlemen
        i think I will let price dictate purchase. It may seem sacrilege ,but most of what I did with my Laguna was produce kindling for my wood stove,
        im sure any 14" that works as it should will meet my needs

Comment

i would go with a old delta or rockwell 14 inch have had one for 35 years made in canada model 28-200 only issue
          replaced tires a few years back became loose

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
            Thank you gentlemen
            i think I will let price dictate purchase. It may seem sacrilege ,but most of what I did with my Laguna was produce kindling for my wood stove,
            im sure any 14" that works as it should will meet my needs
            The fellow who sold me my 36” told me the last thing he cut on it was 4 frozen turkeys for his neighbour.

Question for you Al, if the Laguna had no place in your world, why would another bandsaw be any more useful to you? Of course winter is coming
            Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post

The fellow who sold me my 36” told me the last thing he cut on it was 4 frozen turkeys for his neighbour.

Question for you Al, if the Laguna had no place in your world, why would another bandsaw be any more useful to you? Of course winter is coming
              Don
              I have a large amount of dead ash trees in my yard ,and must deal with the branches.i found a bandsaw very useful for this,but the Laguna was too nice to be dragging out into the yard to do this,and do not want to bring the branches into my shop.i could keep a cheap saw in my shed,add a couple lawn mower sized wheels and use it in the yard.Then I would have the bandsaw for the odd job that pops up that I could use it for,but just didn't warrent the expense or shop space the Laguna took

Comment

I have used an older 14” beaver 3300 for years.
                Works great, I can resaw up to 7 1/2” (enough for a book matched guitar top).

I think I paid $150 for mine.

Dad has a busy bee delta clone, it also works just fine.

I don’t think you can go wrong (I know you are knowledgeable enough to check for play, cracks, bearings etc ).

Nathan

Comment

I have a large amount of dead ash trees in my yard ,and must deal with the branches.i found a bandsaw very useful for this,but the Laguna was too nice to be dragging out into the yard to do this,and do not want to bring the branches into my shop.i could keep a cheap saw in my shed,add a couple lawn mower sized wheels and use it in the yard.Then I would have the bandsaw for the odd job that pops up that I could use it for,but just didn't warrent the expense or shop space the Laguna took
                  Al, here is what you need. You could even rig it for an electric chainsaw.:

iamtooler likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

i would prefer to hold my chainsaw in my hands for that stuff.its the small branches I need to deal with,some for kindling,and mixing in with the bigger blocks, the rest int small enough lengths to fit into my fire pit

Comment

I have a vintage Rockwell 28-200 14" bandsaw made in Guelph and had a 14" Taiwan made bandsaw made in 1990. They are very similar especially the main frame but the quality of some of the accessory parts like pulleys, guide assemblies and blade tensioning mechanism are better on the Rockwell. The Rockwell guides are better engineered and better quality but that said, the Taiwanese guides worked. The pulleys were also lower quality and I replaced them with steel pulleys and a linkbelt (also put a linkbelt on the Rockwell). I also had issues with the blade tension mechanism and had to replace some parts. The Rockwell vibrates a little less or at least seems to vibrate a little less but that's maybe because I expect it to vibrate less. I did some resawing with the Taiwanese saw, it was slow and I had an issue with the motor capacitors but it got the job done. I haven't yet resawed with the Rockwell. The Rockwell has more mileage on it and had some signs of neglect by the original owner, the upper wheel bore was worn and I replaced the wheel with a new one from R&D Bandsaws.

Overall the vintage Rockwell is a better built saw but I haven't pushed it as hard as I pushed the Taiwanese saw. That said if your main use is cutting up firewood an electric chainsaw would be my choice.

Comment

Not sure I am being understood
                        i do not plan on cutting firewood with a bandsaw,I have a very good husqavarnia chainsaw for that.when it comes to small branches,and I'm talking 2" and less,a chainsaw gets dangerous
                        i can't burn the branches in a large heap,need to knock them down to manageable pieces,that's where the bandsaw comes in,tried it with my Laguna,worked well,but too expensive of a saw to keep in the shed.
                        besides that,we all know a bandsaw can be handy to have around,I just want one I don't feel guilt about keeping in the shed,not the shop.
                        point of this post,I have seen both the clones,and much older deltas under $200,wondering if one is inherently better than the other.
                        seems it boils down th the condition of the individual saw
                        Last edited by al.m..; 11-17-2019, 03:49 PM.
                        smallerstick likes this.

Comment

You are right on condition being the determining factor IMO. I have owned 2 clones and they could not have been more different. The one I have now (with a riser) is as smooth operating a saw as I have ever used. Setup is easy and it tracks straight as an arrow.
                          The other one was a constant source of misery!
                          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Not sure I am being understood
                            i do not plan on cutting firewood with a bandsaw,I have a very good husqavarnia chainsaw for that.when it comes to small branches,and I'm talking 2" and less,a chainsaw gets dangerous
                            i can't burn the branches in a large heap,need to knock them down to manageable pieces,that's where the bandsaw comes in,tried it with my Laguna,worked well,but too expensive of a saw to keep in the shed.
                            besides that,we all know a bandsaw can be handy to have around,I just want one I don't feel guilt about keeping in the shed,not the shop.
                            point of this post,I have seen both the clones,and much older deltas under $200,wondering if one is inherently better than the other.
                            seems it boils down th the condition of the individual saw
                            At the low end of the used market, you may find better wheel and shaft bearings in the Deltas, but who can say. The wheel and shaft bearings in my early 2000 King so far are sound. Both upper and lower guide/thrust bearings and the tires were replaced at about the 10 year mark. Check these and the belts. Make sure it runs and cuts.
                            You will know when you inspect it.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Haha, I'd love to see the machinery approval process for that machine..............Rod.
                              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                              X