King and craftex 20 planer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King and craftex 20 planer

Burnt out my 12.5 inch bench top planer last weekend so Im in the market for a new one.
    I plan on upgrading to a bigger unit in the process.

Looking at the cx 20 or the king Canada 20
    Both look like they were built in the same factory, both have 4 blade heads, the only difference is the craftex has 5hp motor and king has 3hp.

The other similarity is neither of them really have any reviews online, the only information is their promo videos.
    Does anyone have either of these machines, and how do you like them ?

Thanks
    Colin
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: King and craftex 20 planer

I had a cx 20 for awhile,was a good machine

Comment

selling a nice makita 2040 planer 16inch 1150.00 new rollers

Comment

Originally posted by Redbull1989 View Post
        Burnt out my 12.5 inch bench top planer last weekend so Im in the market for a new one.
        I plan on upgrading to a bigger unit in the process.

Looking at the cx 20 or the king Canada 20
        Both look like they were built in the same factory, both have 4 blade heads, the only difference is the craftex has 5hp motor and king has 3hp.

The other similarity is neither of them really have any reviews online, the only information is their promo videos.
        Does anyone have either of these machines, and how do you like them ?

Thanks
        Colin
        Have you considered the helical head planers by craftex, king or others?

Far less blade changes and less tearout on figured wood.

After looking at Laguna, craftex and king ( yes they do look like the same manufacturer) I purchased a king 15 " helical head planer. After a couple/three years of shop use the planer is still running well and doing what it should.

My only complaint is the blades don't line up perfectly when turning them and the finish on the machine is flaking off.

If I could do it again I would have spent the extra money and purchased the Laguna.
        http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Originally posted by stotto View Post

Have you considered the helical head planers by craftex, king or others?

Far less blade changes and less tearout on figured wood.

After looking at Laguna, craftex and king ( yes they do look like the same manufacturer) I purchased a king 15 " helical head planer. After a couple/three years of shop use the planer is still running well and doing what it should.

My only complaint is the blades don't line up perfectly when turning them and the finish on the machine is flaking off.

If I could do it again I would have spent the extra money and purchased the Laguna.
          I would love a laguna, or a helical head.... only problem is the helical head doubles the price. Which is doable if a save all the money I make from jobs, the problem with that is I use my planer for just about every job I do, its a vicious circle, I need a the planer to do jobs to save up the money to buy the planer lol.

Ive been going to use my cousins planer in the mean time but not sure how long I can keep doing that.

Thanks
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by ytsawman View Post
            selling a nice makita 2040 planer 16inch 1150.00 new rollers
            I should mention a big reason why Im looking at king and craftex is because king dealer and busy bee are both within reasonable distance away and if I need parts or customer service its close by.
            I heard getting parts from Makita is a bit of a hassle and super expensive, those rollers must have cost close to 300$ each no?

Nevertheless where are you located?
            Do you have pictures?

Comment

While Makita make some pretty good products, they do not have not any presence in the stationary machines.
              I did this dance in 2014, eventually settling on the Laguna 16 Sheartech.
              My primary reason for spending more money was the number of cutters 6 rows 108 cutters.
              King - 4 rows 64 cutters (number of rows not published)
              Craftex - 5 rows 75 cutters
              I honestly do not know if the number of knives matters, but I have no instances of tear out and I no longer care about grain direction when feeding.
              I have one regret - not spending more for the 20 at the time.
              I will suggest that you buy the 20 that will provide an upgrade path to a helical head in a few years or whenever you tire of changing blades. Get a set or two of carbide blades. You should find you get more cutting done with the heavier blades.

Whatever you get, you will be miles ahead over the one that just melted.

I apologize for somewhat hijacking the thread.

Don

Comment

I had a 20" busy bee 20" for 20 years, now have a 20" 209HH Powermatic. After 7 years of hobby use , did my 1st turn of the carbide inserts. Love the Helical Head. Trying to get 4 knives perfectly set after sharping is a lot of work.
                sigpic
                hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Makita rollers recoat 400.00 tx in A SET

Comment

Not to take anything away from the makita but I upgraded from the makita 2040 ( two straight blades) to the king 15" helical head planer.

No comparison.

I went through far too many blades and blade changes with the makita ( though they weren't carbide as Don has suggested) and the helical head
                    gives you a much longer life with carbide inserts rather than straight blades.

The cost to sharpen and replace blades for makita ( or any straight blade machine) will most likely make spending a bit more for helical head worth it.

If you were to compare the 2040 to a king or craftex straight blade planer for performance I can't help much as I've never owned either.

They ( king and craftex) might have two speeds and three instead of two blades like the makita. Not sure.

I will say the Makita performed fine for a couple years and as a used machine it had decent workable value but it was a significant upgrade to go with the king helical head machine.

Last edited by stotto; 11-26-2019, 09:43 AM.
                    http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Can the king or the craftex machine be upgraded with helical after the fact ? I never thought of that, that might be an option.

I know that the pros of a helical head far out weight the cons but one of you mentioned getting the 4 blades perfectly aligned after sharpening can be tough... my cousin is also a woodworker and the cabinet shop he works at has a general helical and he was telling me its actually a pain in the ass once you turn the blades to keep it flat and square. He said they often leave little ripples in the wood.
                      I guess because once you use one side that side is warn and the blade becomes slightly out of square and you lose your perfect reference point.
                      Ive never used a helical so I dont know Im just explaining what he told me hes experienced, anyone else run into this ?

Colin

Comment

Not sure how Powermatic helical head construction compares to King or Busy Bee planers. I can tell you that on my 1987 Busy Bee 20", 4 blades cost $80 + tax to sharpen, and if you do that once a year, can add up in $$. I bought a spare set so planer would not be down. I also bought 2 magnetic stands and dial indicators to try and align each side. Biggest problem was the blade rises as you tighten. A nylon tipped mallet to tap them back down. I do not miss blade changes on the old planer and also on the DJ-20 8" jointer. I now have a Grizzly 12" HH jointer and it's awesome. After several years did the 1st turn of the cutters.
                        sigpic
                        hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Working...
                        X