The Secret to Saving your Chainsaw Bar, Tips from the Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret to Saving your Chainsaw Bar, Tips from the Pros

You may recognize my dad from HGTV's "Carver Kings" or OLN's "Saw Dogs. We run our saws in ways they were never meant to be run, and that means we end up with some pretty beat up carving bars and regular chainsaw bars. We go over the secrets of dressing your bar and extending its life.

https://youtu.be/XqMtNfSufVs
    Bob just past Ayr likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: The Secret to Saving your Chainsaw Bar, Tips from the Pros

You learn something new every day - or at least I do.
    Thanks.

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

When dressing your bars in the fashion described in this video, remember that he is using a hard nose bar without a bearing mounted sprocket. If you attempt to dress the bar nose the way he does on a sprocket nose bar, you will grind the tips off the sprocket teeth and put abrasive into the sprocket bearings.

Also, when dressing the rails, he is doing it freehand. That's fine with practice, but when I dress bars in my shop I use the disc sander so that I can set the bars flat table on the table and that way I am sure that the bar rails are square to the bar groove.

cheers

Comment

Something else to be concerned about is the rails are surface hardened. About .010" in depth.
        Dressing the is good, but done too many times and you get down into the soft untreated steel.
        Then your bar is junk.
        Thanks

Moe Fretz

Comment

Working...
        X