Stallion or King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stallion or King

My wife says its only a table saw. LOL but I am stuck on which to buy. Stallion or King?
    Roughly the same cabinet tablesaw however:
    - The King has a 220 V 2.5hp motor and Stallion has 15 amp 1.5 hp.
    - King has a hose attachment on blade guard for dust
    - I can get a 51" King for roughly the same as a 30" stallion. I just don't have room for a full 51' but I could cut down rails to 40". Price difference of king 30" and 51" is only $60 bucks

Price point are very close so that doesn't factor into my decision.

Help with any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produc...p-fence-system

https://www.canadianwoodworker.com/w...rget=CWI-T1002
    Last edited by Dave Kor; 11-27-2019, 11:57 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Stallion or King

The King looks to have a more versatile fence, but check them both to see how rigid they are. Some Bies clones flex a bit when you put side pressure on them, and you don't want that. On the other hand, the Stallion has what looks like a tool free quick release riving knife/guard. To me that's very important. If the safety stuff isn't easy to use, it tends to not get used. But then on the other other hand, the King has dust collection in the guard, which is nice to have

I personally prefer the shorter fence rails. I had a 52" for years & hated the waste of space.

Tough decision, I don't know which one I'd choose myself. But if you want all those things in a much nicer saw, have a look at the SawStop line. More money, but more saw. And WAF is very high for that one

Comment

Good point on the riving knife. I looked at both and the King seems to have a solid fence. I have read that it is a older unifence style. Not sure though. I did look at the saw stop 36" contractor. I know you get what you pay for... so Im really on the fence on spending close to $3K

Comment

If you can,go see both,hands on is the only way to get a idea of what "feels good" to you.
        as far as fence flex,that was a major argument against my favourite,the unifence,but frankly,if you are putting that much side pressure on a fence,well,you are doing something very wrong and are going to get into trouble

Comment

The Stallion. Some differences in the fit//finish as well as surface finish compared to the King. I have seen both in person several times. A lot of the CWI machines have minor details that make them a bit more enjoyable to use. Such as on a jointer fence, having rollers on the bottom to help it slide better when you adjust the fence, etc.

Comment

This is just opinion ...

The King is a bigger motor by more than 1/3
            The King gives a longer fence rail for the same money
            The King fence "looks" more versatile
            The King blade cover has the vac port

Barring something else that I don't know about, I'd buy the King.

.... just opinion.
            Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Well looked at both machines twice again today. while I believe the King may have had an on edge in value, because of a lower price, I purchased the Stallion, and picking it up in the morning. While I liked 220V King, dust collector on the blade guard, and the lower price, the deciding factors to purchase from Canadian Woodworker is:

1. Dust port on Stallion is on the back, the King is on the "wrong" side of the cabinet for my shop set up, (less elbows the better IMO)
              2. King is only is only 34" tall where as the Stallion is a working height of 36" (I'm close to 6'3")
              3. I just felt Canadian Woodworker would have better "customer interests" in mind,
              4. Multi rib flat belt rather than a V belt
              5. I thought fence was a bit more robust.

In a month or so I'll give an un-bias report on this cabinet saw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stallion 52.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1260329
              stotto likes this.

Comment

I have that exact same saw.....except that it's green and the fence is a little lower quality.

Comment

I'd really like to hear more from owners of the Stallion saw. This one in particular. It sounds like just the one I want. Dual voltage, left tilt, riving knife, true cabinet saw. I know my modded '86 Craftsman won't last forever, and when I finally get the power fed to the shop I will be that much closer to upgrading.
                  More stuff of mine at:
                  http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Nothing like a shiny new tool,enjoy your saw,and keep us updated

Comment

Well, quite a day, Went to Winnipeg, at their store at 8:30am. got back home at 10:30 in time for the electrician to run a new 20 amp circuit, unpacked everything, aligned table, fence and at 9:00 tonight I figured i'll turn it on to try out. Nothing. motor wont come on. Didn't find a reset button. I have no idea. Well I guess Christmas presents don't get finished in time for Christmas. Maybe I'm just dumb and don't know how to turn on a table saw, LOL. I even plugged it in. I kind of had a concern when I saw a manufacture date of March 2018.

Comment

Dave,

Congratulations on your new saw.

Is there any possibility that the main switch is in »off » mode? It would prevent the motor from starting. Just a guess.

Regards,

J.

Comment

Dave, on the same way of jacques, just check if the stop boton have a safety on it. Sometime when you stop the machine, it come on a safety mode and you have to release it to restart the machine.To do so, just turn the red boton to the left position 1/4 of turn and it will release the safety, remark that this is only a guest, sometime they do not have this safety. A other safety futur also, is on the switck block himself, they have this little plastic key that you have to insert into a hole to be able to activate te switch, no key , no start. If those 2 idear does not do the job, well further inspection will be necessary or contact with your dealer.

Comment

...Much clearer explanation than mine. Thanks!

Comment

Good morning, I hunted high and low for a reset button on the motor and also on the switch. The on/off switch is a button rather than a round knob. If I have to get this saw back it will be for a refund I guess. Now that it is all together and super heavy I'll have to get a tailgate truck here @$70 per hour. Problem is I live 1/2 hr south of Winnipeg. I didn't even have a chance to hear it. Unless I'm missing something or quirky trick. Thanks for chiming in.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs_ian_9537_600_72.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1260462

Comment

Working...
                              X