Best type of drill bits for wood??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best type of drill bits for wood??

I need to get a set of drill bits for wood drilling. Which is better, the spade bit type or the corkscrew type? Also, what is a good brand? Thanks!!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Best type of drill bits for wood??

Spade bits are faster but do a rougher job. They're mostly useful for larger hole sizes, and general construction work. The common twist drill usually will do the job well, for sizes up to 1/2 inch. They can also be used for drilling in metal. For the cleanest holes in wood, brad point bits are usually the best option. For larger blind holes with a flat (or almost flat) bottom, forstner bits will serve you well.
    Last edited by guylavoie; 11-28-2019, 09:40 AM.
    Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

It depends on what size of hole you are drilling, how long, what hardness of wood, and how clean/accurate you need the holes to be. My go to bits are brad points for holes up to 1/2” and forstner or saw tooth bits for bigger holes.
      Chris Wong
      http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

I thinck that brad point and fostner are the best for wood, unless you work on big construction where the precision is not nedeed as much.

Comment

Working...
        X