• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MartyFromKingston
    replied
    I'm in the same camp as Chris.

Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post
    It depends on what size of hole you are drilling, how long, what hardness of wood, and how clean/accurate you need the holes to be. My go to bits are brad points for holes up to 1/2” and forstner or saw tooth bits for bigger holes.

Leave a comment:

• Rallvicha
    replied
    Originally posted by Werrgefir View Post
    I need to get a set of drill bits for wood drilling. Which is better, the spade bit type or the corkscrew type? Also, what is a good brand? Thanks!!
    Spade bits and auger bits https://drilling-it.com/best-router-bits-sets-reviews/ (yes, the ones that look like corkscrews) both have their place.

Spade bits are cheap and plentiful but, unless used slowly and carefully, tend to chew thru the wood for a somewhat rough hole. (or a really rough hole with splintered wood on the back side if you are in a hurry. LOL.. BTDT x1000)

I have found auger bits drill more slowly but create a much more finished hole.

Std. drill bits and spades will get you by but when you move up into the bigger hole sizes the auger bits are really nice to have around.

Leave a comment:

• oldtimers
    replied
    I thinck that brad point and fostner are the best for wood, unless you work on big construction where the precision is not nedeed as much.

Leave a comment:

• flairwoodworks
    replied
    It depends on what size of hole you are drilling, how long, what hardness of wood, and how clean/accurate you need the holes to be. My go to bits are brad points for holes up to 1/2” and forstner or saw tooth bits for bigger holes.

Leave a comment:

• guylavoie
    replied
    Spade bits are faster but do a rougher job. They're mostly useful for larger hole sizes, and general construction work. The common twist drill usually will do the job well, for sizes up to 1/2 inch. They can also be used for drilling in metal. For the cleanest holes in wood, brad point bits are usually the best option. For larger blind holes with a flat (or almost flat) bottom, forstner bits will serve you well.
    Last edited by guylavoie; 11-28-2019, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Werrgefir
    started a topic Best type of drill bits for wood??

Best type of drill bits for wood??

I need to get a set of drill bits for wood drilling. Which is better, the spade bit type or the corkscrew type? Also, what is a good brand? Thanks!!
Working...
X