Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PowerFist/Pricess Auto drill press for 88$-any feedback on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerFist/Pricess Auto drill press for 88$-any feedback on this?

Hi guys

Do you have any feedback on this drill press?
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ss/A-p8654329e

Should I save the money for a Kijiji one ? I need an average drill press for a hobbyist

There is also this one (King for 99$)
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/kin...ess/1001076569
    Last edited by PF4Wood; 12-04-2019, 10:49 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: PowerFist/Pricess Auto drill press for 88$-any feedback on this?

The two look similar, but I'd trust the King brand long before the 'Power Fist' brand. And who the hell at PA thought that would be a good house brand name?

Comment

I'd try the PA first myself. Their returns policy is more generous than Costco is. You can return stuff even after a year if not happy with it in my experience.
      Kevin

Comment

1/3 rd hp is pretty light, I would look for a used DP with a larger motor. I recently got a floor model Canadian made in Guelph Rockwell 4 speed with 1/2 hp motor for $130. It was a little rusty, cleaned the pipe column and the Jacobs chuck of rust, and it needed a new chuck key. It will make a great birthday present for our son.
        sigpic
        hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

They're likely made in the same factory. The Princess Auto product support is second to none except maybe Lee Valley. In this case I'd buy the Princess Auto unit if I was looking for a small drill press.

Comment

Check it out, if it runs smooth then why not. It's cheap.

Steve The Drill Sergeant
            Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

i wouldnt trade my 1940's beaver for 20 of those things
              i had a cheap bench top press like those two, it belonged to my fil.

threw it in the garbage, where it belonged
              my shop is a beaver lodge
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                i wouldnt trade my 1940's beaver for 20 of those things
                i had a cheap bench top press like those two, it belonged to my fil.

threw it in the garbage, where it belonged
                Yes, but that's your style.

I've used a couple of those CTC/PA/King drill presses. I had one in my power equipment shop for years, and I have one in my current shop, in addition to a GI floor press and a (formerly dual head) General Canada machinists press on a machinists table. (yes, I have three drill presses ... I have an illness) I have had NO trouble from my cheapo drill presses, but ..... I use them within their limitations.

So ..... if you are happy with antiques tools, that's great, but it DOESN'T mean that anything new, offshore and small is garbage.
                Egon and Redneck Albertan like this.

Comment

Here is the Rockwell I picked up from Facebook Market Place listing.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_9186.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1260937
                  sigpic
                  hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Bet this Rockwell-Beaver won’t last long for $120--

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/dril...0l9004?dc=true

Click image for larger version  Name:	drillpress.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	1260941

Wasn’t a cheap press new, where one can buy cheap expect CHEAP

Here’s another one for $100--.

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59-1.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1260945

here, https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/h...7563?undefined

Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-05-2019, 10:32 AM.
                    Beaverfever1988 likes this.

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

If you want a drill press that size then buy the princess auto one, im sure there no different but PA as mentioned is ridiculously great for returns. Drill presses like that seem to be no cheaper used! Click image for larger version

Name:	ad_1575559523951.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	1260944

Now if you would consider a floor model drill press and don't want to regret your purchase get this... quickly!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/h...nt=app_android

Price: $ 100

Comment

One thing I think I'd miss on these machines is the lack of a rack and pinion table "fine" table height adjustment - but for the price...
                        billh

Comment

I do not do much drilling. I had one of the little ones and it worked fine for my purposes. I had the opportunity to “upgrade” to a heavier bench model. I gave away my little one. The only thing I got out of the deal was a much heavier drill press with a bit more power and rack and pinion table raising.

If you are sure of your requirements, then go for any of the small ones. If your credit card gives you extra warranty, go that route and keep your receipts.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post
                            Check it out, if it runs smooth then why not. It's cheap.
                            The presence of the cover for the new drill press amplifies the noise

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
                              I do not do much drilling. I had one of the little ones and it worked fine for my purposes. I had the opportunity to “upgrade” to a heavier bench model. I gave away my little one. The only thing I got out of the deal was a much heavier drill press with a bit more power and rack and pinion table raising.

If you are sure of your requirements, then go for any of the small ones. If your credit card gives you extra warranty, go that route and keep your receipts.

Don
                              Yes the CC gives me one more year on top of what the vendor offers
                              Canadian Tire offers like 3Y for theirs but that is 140 on sale

Comment

Working...
                              X