Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PowerFist/Pricess Auto drill press for 88$-any feedback on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schor
    replied
    Originally posted by PF4Wood View Post

Yes I need something small for two reasons:
    -transportation (difficult to pick up, heavy to handle)
    -space occupied in my garage (small garage) and easy to relocate

So I am looking for an 8-10 that sits on the table
    If you want a light one then get a new one. Even my old 11" atlas is probably 70lbs.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Van Der Loo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post

I've come to highly distrust CT for honoring warranties and such. They like to play games. Just don't trust them on that front for many years now.

I kinda thought so. Thought it was weird how so many we're pointing you to floor models. A floor DP and a benchtop DP are two different tools/machines in my mind.
    No difference between a floor model or bench top one but for the length of pipe, there is a difference between a 8 or 10 or 14 and 15 inch model, the larger ones are usually a better quality, not always though, the old ones like the Buffalo and Beaver etc are the best in that sense, and yes they are heavier for that reason mostly .

Leave a comment:

• Cigarguy
    replied
    Decide how much you'll be using this tool and what it be be used for and buy the right tool for the job and for you. For some people, they just need a simple tool that will do the job and they have no desire or inclination to bargain hunt nor even know where to start in restoring an old tool. Also, there's nothing wrong with getting a Honda Civic to get the groceries and 95% of the other running around than a full size truck in which you only really need it 5% of the time for its intended purpose. For those 5% there are ways and means. There is something to be said about buying something new and knowing there is a warranty behind it vs not buying another person's junk that used to be good but is now nothing more than junk.

Having said that, I love to tinker and appreciate a good tool even I never fully use or appreciate the tool's full potential. There's only a few tools that I really need but damnit I love and WANT so many fine tools. The skills to use said tool properly, safely and expertly is what distinguishes a Master craftsman and the amateur such as myself.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Originally posted by Bryan @ Woodstock View Post
    Here is a well built, older drill press for $50
    ​​​​​​https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/m...7893?undefined
    Nice one !! If I was looking for a small drill press I'd already have that one in my garage.

Leave a comment:

• Bryan @ Woodstock
    replied
    Here is a well built, older drill press for $50
    ​​​​​​https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/m...7893?undefined

Leave a comment:

• Lost in the Woods
    replied

Canadian Tire offers like 3Y for theirs but that is 140 on sale
    I've come to highly distrust CT for honoring warranties and such. They like to play games. Just don't trust them on that front for many years now.

I kinda thought so. Thought it was weird how so many we're pointing you to floor models. A floor DP and a benchtop DP are two different tools/machines in my mind.
    Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 12-06-2019, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PF4Wood
    replied
    Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Leo has already posted a couple of links. Did you check those out yet?

Leave a comment:

• Bryan @ Woodstock
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	72630228_10157790522641563_6843391114653728768_n.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1261032 I like this one for $150 in Mississauga
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7467177051188/

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied

Can you please point me to one you would recommend ?
    Leo has already posted a couple of links. Did you check those out yet?

Leave a comment:

• PF4Wood
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowtie66 View Post
    Plenty of older Rockwell / Beaver / Delta / Buffalo / benchtop models on kijiji. with virtually no runout and smooth vibration free operation.
    Can you please point me to one you would recommend ?

Leave a comment:

• Matt Matt
    replied
    I’ve returned things to PA after two years not happy and they have fully replaced. Their replacement guarantee with receipt is beyond any other company!

they replaced my ALLEN keys and my air nailer with no questions asked.

Leave a comment:

• Bowtie66
    replied
    Plenty of older Rockwell / Beaver / Delta / Buffalo / benchtop models on kijiji. with virtually no runout and smooth vibration free operation.

Leave a comment:

• PF4Wood
    replied
    Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
    I do not do much drilling. I had one of the little ones and it worked fine for my purposes. I had the opportunity to “upgrade” to a heavier bench model. I gave away my little one. The only thing I got out of the deal was a much heavier drill press with a bit more power and rack and pinion table raising.

If you are sure of your requirements, then go for any of the small ones. If your credit card gives you extra warranty, go that route and keep your receipts.

Don
    Yes the CC gives me one more year on top of what the vendor offers
    Canadian Tire offers like 3Y for theirs but that is 140 on sale

Leave a comment:

• PF4Wood
    replied
    Originally posted by schor View Post
    Check it out, if it runs smooth then why not. It's cheap.
    The presence of the cover for the new drill press amplifies the noise

Leave a comment:

• Don Burch
    replied
    I do not do much drilling. I had one of the little ones and it worked fine for my purposes. I had the opportunity to “upgrade” to a heavier bench model. I gave away my little one. The only thing I got out of the deal was a much heavier drill press with a bit more power and rack and pinion table raising.

If you are sure of your requirements, then go for any of the small ones. If your credit card gives you extra warranty, go that route and keep your receipts.

Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X