Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crafted Planer Switch Problem

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I have always used some sort of lubricant on electrical connections and switches, but my thought was that any lubricant won't hurt the action of a switch and if I can keep air from getting into the switch action it should reduce arcing and extend contact life .... I have no evidence to support that, but after several decades doing this it doesn't seem to have hurt anything, so .... so far, so good?
    I wear pink sunglasses on the third Sunday of every July. I believe it protects me from stampeding elephants. So far, no elephant induced injuries.
    Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 12-09-2019, 10:51 AM.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Lubrication for mechanical action on a switch is fine. Inserting any elements into a switches electrical path can create problems. If a switch is properly designed for use in free air, let the air be free. Gooey stuff, be it conductive or dielectric, can attract dust and debris and that can cause other issues. Depends on what you are trying to achieve for the particular installation. Dielectric grease is often used to protect electrical connections from corrosion by caustic atmospheres or water ingress, but is not used to reduce contact resistance. There are conductive pastes that are designed to do that for some specialized applications.
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

I wear pink sunglasses on the third Sunday of every July. I believe it protects me from stampeding elephants. So far, so elephant induced injuries.
        Hey, whuddya know ... so do I

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
          Lubrication for mechanical action on a switch is fine. Inserting any elements into a switches electrical path can create problems. If a switch is properly designed for use in free air, let the air be free. Gooey stuff, be it conductive or dielectric, can attract dust and debris and that can cause other issues. Depends on what you are trying to achieve for the particular installation. Dielectric grease is often used to protect electrical connections from corrosion by caustic atmospheres or water ingress, but is not used to reduce contact resistance. There are conductive pastes that are designed to do that for some specialized applications.
          For some years I used the dielectric grease that came from AC-Delco, but my supply dried up. For many years now I have been using copper anti-seize from Permatex. I use it more on fixed connections as an oxygen shield than I do on switches, but I gotta' say .... the success rate after all these decades is pretty good .... can't get better than 100% .... maybe it's the pink sunglasses

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I use it more on fixed connections as an oxygen shield than I do on switches................
            That's what it is for. And it works.

Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Working...
            X